Higher End CDPs, Are They Worth it?
Jul 28, 2005 at 12:53 AM Post #91 of 100
My internet is down at the moment, so I'm typing this from a shop.
Don't have time to read everthing clearly..

I haven't heard Azur 640, but based from experience from a few who have tried it, I can conclude that it's not the one for me. (reason being as : it's slightly bright, and might be fatiguing, and not as punchy as my NAD)

I think 640 is only a side step at best, if not downgrade (to my ears)...

About DAC, again, I've heard it might make a system sound "lifeless" or "dry" which is something I really wanna avoid.

Too bad they don't have like NAD C642 or something... hehe...

Anyway, as I mentioned a few times already, I'm currently still happy with my CDP, and this thread is not about picking up my new CDP, only discussing what might improve if I had something better...

GoRedWings19:

Yeah, still happy with the NAD. I'm not going to upgrade yet, just thinking about what might happened if I upgraded.
You still need my address? Is there a Mark Levinson coming my way ?
icon10.gif

Jul 28, 2005 at 2:08 AM Post #92 of 100
About 6 months ago I was in a boat similar to yours. I have a old Rotel CD player that was worth about $600-700 when I bought it several years ago and was not sure if the source was such an important aspect of my overall sound quality. So I went shopping. Well it turns out that even after some years later, in the same price range, I would have improved the sound versus my Rotel with players like the Azur 640, newer Rotel, Arcam CD73 and stuff like that, but really not much, barely noticeable. I also checked out DACs.

Then I said ok, what about if I open up the wallet a bit, let's say more in the $1500-2500 range. Well to answer your question:

"what might improve if I had something better..."

versus your current NAD, well just about everything...IF your other components (amp and speaker/headphones) are in the same league as the new source you will get.

I ended up buying an Arcam CD23T and I have a sound that is way more natural, way more detailled, a bit less aggressive/harsh in the highs, a soundstage that is way more defined and realistic,...

Don't forget this is based on my personal opinion and experience. You might not find the same result, specially if the other components in your system are not top notch as well.

Cheers
Quote:

Originally Posted by dj_mocok
My internet is down at the moment, so I'm typing this from a shop.
Don't have time to read everthing clearly..

I haven't heard Azur 640, but based from experience from a few who have tried it, I can conclude that it's not the one for me. (reason being as : it's slightly bright, and might be fatiguing, and not as punchy as my NAD)

I think 640 is only a side step at best, if not downgrade (to my ears)...

About DAC, again, I've heard it might make a system sound "lifeless" or "dry" which is something I really wanna avoid.

Too bad they don't have like NAD C642 or something... hehe...

Anyway, as I mentioned a few times already, I'm currently still happy with my CDP, and this thread is not about picking up my new CDP, only discussing what might improve if I had something better...

GoRedWings19:

Yeah, still happy with the NAD. I'm not going to upgrade yet, just thinking about what might happened if I upgraded.
You still need my address? Is there a Mark Levinson coming my way ?
icon10.gif

Jul 28, 2005 at 8:18 AM Post #93 of 100
But I think a 600-700 bucks CD player from several years ago won't have the same quality as the 600-700 bucks recent CD players.

It used to be an expensive product, but now I think the price/performance has improved?

Anyway, I think my other components are quite alright, so I might just have to try them and see the difference.

I was thinking to sample one of those tubed CD players, since I assume the sound will be warmer..

Jul 28, 2005 at 12:36 PM Post #94 of 100
The Azur 640C is definitely on the bright side....not a good thing when you want to include bright headphones into your setup.

However, it had speed, attack, good detail, excitement and weight. The downside is its tad mettalic tone which would be bad with ochrestral (but 70% of my stuff is rock so
600smile.gif
) Perhaps an upgrade would be a Naim 5I or Cyrus? I've no regrets getting this player...its very musically enjoyable for me if perhaps lacking in finesse in other areas.

Jul 28, 2005 at 12:40 PM Post #95 of 100
Quote:

But I think a 600-700 bucks CD player from several years ago won't have the same quality as the 600-700 bucks recent CD players.

It used to be an expensive product, but now I think the price/performance has improved?

Anyway, I think my other components are quite alright, so I might just have to try them and see the difference.

I was thinking to sample one of those tubed CD players, since I assume the sound will be warmer..

You might want to consider this if you can get it

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/hit/cd22.html

I heard the whole setup in the demo set. Very nice sounding....not too warm
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2005 at 12:45 PM Post #96 of 100
Zanth said:
The zapfilter, renowned little device, is a completely reworked output stage. The problem in a way is that all players with it will essentially become a zapfilter player, little matters before it with regards to the changes in sound. This is from LC Audio folks as well as those at Parts Connexion who install them.

I own three different zap filter players and I dont think what you have been told is true at all. IMO....the dac being used definitely makes a difference and so does the type of clock.

My Sound Odyssey cd-25 has a different dac, and with level 3 mods that includes the zap filter and trichord clock, is MUCH different sounding than my sacdmods 555es that includes the zap filter with the LX02 clock.

My sacdmods 555es has a different dac vs the 963sa, and is in turn more refined and cleaner sounding than my sacdmods 963sa that has a zap filter and no clock upgrade; especially with cd's.

I have had my first sacdmods 555es for over two years and my 963sa is over a year old. Over this time period I heard these two players many times in direct comparisons, especially through the headamp v2-se and mpx3 and they just have different signatures.... furthermore, the cd-25's differing sound signature is even more pronounced. I dont know what they did their comparisons with but its easy to pinpoint on my senns and singlepowers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 28, 2005 at 4:43 PM Post #97 of 100
I don't know about everyone else, but I find myself playing a lot of CD-Rs. I wouldn't get an older CD player simply because it won't handle them well.

See ya
Steve

Jul 28, 2005 at 5:08 PM Post #98 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
I own three different zap filter players and I dont think what you have been told is true at all. IMO....the dac being used definitely makes a difference and so does the type of clock.

Definitely different DAC's and Clocks will affect the sound, just like you said, detail, refinement, finesse, but the overall signature will be the same when paired against unmodded players and/or against players that compete performance-wise. That makes sense since the output stages are different. Differneces between players with the same output stage will sound different depending on the upstream parts/circuit design, but from what they tell me, if there are differences they are not dramatic, save for what I touched on.

But I mean, I haven't heard so I can't comment first hand, just what they were saying.

Aug 5, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #99 of 100
Quote:

I am currently very happy with my NAD 542, but a another "curiosity" has hit me again, wondering how much nicer are CDP above 542 level.

I am not talking about 10K source or something, but more like a $1000-$2,000 dollar CDPs. eg, Naim CD5i, or Linn Genki, etc...

Since I haven't really got the chance to sample my system with higher end CDPs, can someone who is open minded enough explain to me what (and how much) improvement would I get?

No self-justification or exaggerating of your own high-end players please, I just want an honest opinion about the improvement.

Thanks.

My opinion is the upgrade is worth it if at least the following apply: 1) You're willing to take some risk; no one but you can fully answer if the proposed upgrade will be satisfying to you with your gear. 2) The rest of your system will let you hear the difference the new component makes - impedance mismatches between CDPs and preamps occur and may result in sonic dissatisfaction; ICs between gear may sound right in one combination but like crap in others; a more expensive CPD may require an upgraded aftermarket PC to give you the sound signature the manufacturer had in mind, and use of the stock PC may result in unsatisfactory listening experiences; a better source may reveal previously unheard defects in your system, and you may find some CDs now sound, ah, less than well mastered; note that expensive gear doesn't always mean better, or that you'll like it. 3) Your wallet can afford it. 4) You exhausted reasonable (don't read expensive here) tweaking to your existing CDP and your ears have isolated your dissatisfaction/upgraditis to your current CDP and not other system components (I have found the use of Walker SST in my system unleashed more of the potenial of my gear than any other tweak, and I'd try to get a bit of this in play in your system before you decide to purchase something else). 5) You purchase from a reputable dealer that has a reasonable return policy (if you find the upgraded component doesn't meet your criteria, do you want to eat the full price and be dissatisfied, or be able to return it at perhaps some expense to you - some dealers have demo opportunities - try AudioCircles for some examples), or you audition the prospects in someone's house or in a showroom fully knowing that the unit will in all likelihood sound different in your system with your gear - it's that system synergy thing again. 6) Be willing to do your research, and a sufficient amount of it, ahead of time. 7) Be prepared, should you upgrade, that within a year of making your purchase another product will appear around the price you paid, with glowing reviews; thus, it can pay to be patient.

I like the CDP I own and am still firmly happy I purchased it (with intitial price, tubes, aftermarket PC, tweaks, it is well within your price range). I also think my system and the way I selected it allows for some very nice synergy. And I'm sure there are other CDPs out there that would work as well and better in my system, yet I think I'd have to pay quite a bit more to get that relatively small increment of increased performance.

Best of luck with your decision making, and happy listening.

Aug 5, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #100 of 100
Are they worth it? It depends. Depends on whether or not you are the kind of listener who values the little things in musical reproduction. Little things like being able to hear that an album was recorded in a small cramped studio or whether an album was recorded in a intimate jazz club. Little details like the hearing a piano recording and knowing that you are hearing a real piano and not a sampled imitation of one. For me, going from mid-fi CDPs (Yamaha single disc and 5-disc changers in the under $500 range) to a Sony SCD-C333ES WAS worth it.

What the 333ES does that my previous CPDs did not do are things like reveal the singer's vocal inflections. The 333ES allows me to hear interwoven bass lines (bass guitar, synth bass, upright bass, etc) and be able to hear how each distinct instrument sounds and how collectively they comprise the sonic whole. Hearing a wooden bodied instrument and hearing how the wood contributes to it's sound is another difference.

For me, and many others, these little details that the better CDPs reveal are crucial to the music and are worth added expense as they increase our enjoyment of the music.

Listen to players for yourself, see if you can hear the differences, and then decide for yourself if those differences are worth it to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back