High Rez Audio to Digital Out
Jan 7, 2005 at 10:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jjcha

Headphoneus Supremus
I have no idea where to post this. But I bet I'll have the most success here.

I want to get true high-rez audio (i.e., not just up/resampled 44.1) from some transport to my Grace m902 or Chord DAC64 MK2. I know the Audigy 2 ZS can do it for non-protected DVD-A's - but for protected ones is there any other way? All my DVD-A's are protected.

Doesn't need to be computer-based, if there's any dedicated source that could do it, that's fine as well.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jan 7, 2005 at 10:46 AM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
I know the Audigy 2 ZS can do it for non-protected DVD-A's - but for protected ones is there any other way?

No, not yet.
We are all waiting for the audiophile uber-hacker who manages to crack the high-rez codecs.

Jan 7, 2005 at 10:50 AM Post #3 of 8
There is currently no transport that can output full-bandwidth signals from locked media. This is why I purposely avoid such limited DVD-As and stick to smaller studios who care about sound quality and their customer's fair use. I use the $80 Panasonic DVD-S47 and RME DIGI 96/8 PAD to output un-molested, full-bandwidth DVD-A digital output into my DAC1 and it is stunning. I wish I could be of real help and offer a solution, but even the big-wigs in hi-fi cannot coax the studios out of their ostrich holes…
frown.gif

Jan 7, 2005 at 10:57 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks, that's what I figured.

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but as someone who spends $200-300 a week on music/dvd's and does not have a single pirated .mp3, I can't express how annoying it is I need to rely on hackers and go-arounds to get certain CD's onto my iPod or DVD's onto my notebook computer hard drive.

Don't get me wrong. I'm far too educated in theories of property to think I have any inherent right to do such things with the protected media I purchase. Just as a consumer who is willing to pay money for such a product, it's disappointing the market has evolved otherwise.

So in that respect, if there is a hacker willing to do this, I have cash.

Best regards,

-Jason

Postscript: I know you can do SACD through transports and DACs built for that purpose (e.g., firewire ports) and I imagine there has got to be hardware somewhere for DVD-A. Guess, despite what I said, I really am looking for a computer-based solution.

Jan 7, 2005 at 11:32 AM Post #5 of 8
I'm currently working on a solution, full resolution digital output for universal players - DVD-A/SACD in full resolution.. nothing easier than recording with soundcard's S/PDIF input..

Jan 7, 2005 at 12:51 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

I'm currently working on a solution, full resolution digital output for universal players - DVD-A/SACD in full resolution..

If you manage it you will be a legend.

Jan 7, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by davvy
If you manage it you will be a legend.

I'm going to, you bet
wink.gif

Jan 7, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 8
Glassman, this wouldn't be a plug and play thing for most people though right? You'd still need to know how to use a soldering iron and such?

I'm still holding off getting a universal player since I'm waiting for you
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back