High-end Music Server recommendations?
Jul 9, 2020 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bluecar

100+ Head-Fier
I have spent quite a bit of time trawling through the forums, but I'm after a specific steer here and would be grateful for your ideas....

It needs to be capable of operating as a Roon Core
It doesn't need to do any upsampling/DSP at the core
It's going to serve a couple of different streamers/bridges via the network, but only a couple
It doesn't need to be able to stream in its own right, but if it does, not a problem :D
Needs local storage + support for NAS attachment
Needs to have separate general and audio network connections (want to isolate all audio networking behind this device)
Needs to be quiet, electrically and acoustically
Needs to perform well from an audio perspective (insofar that a PnP/RAAT server can do that!!)

need to keep it under £5k.

What's your view folks?

Jul 9, 2020 at 10:26 PM Post #2 of 11
I have spent quite a bit of time trawling through the forums, but I'm after a specific steer here and would be grateful for your ideas....

It's going to serve a couple of different streamers/bridges via the network, but only a couple
It doesn't need to be able to stream in its own right, but if it does, not a problem :D
Needs to have separate general and audio network connections (want to isolate all audio networking behind this device)
Needs to perform well from an audio perspective (insofar that a PnP/RAAT server can do that!!)

What's your view folks?
Innuos Zen (MK2 or Zenith) or Roon Nucleus Rev B meet your requirements. I’ve not heard either but have read every review I could find as I’m in the market as well with the same requirements.

Jul 9, 2020 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 11
Read up on the EVO432 server/streamer/ripper. Very happy with mine.

Jul 11, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 11
I recently put the "Innuos Zen MK III" into operation, currently using it with iPeng, later possibly as a ROON core. The integrated CD drive saves me having to go through external software and Mac. Comfort is becoming increasingly important to me, so it was the right decision for me.

Jul 11, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 11
I recently put the "Innuos Zen MK III" into operation, currently using it with iPeng, later possibly as a ROON core. The integrated CD drive saves me having to go through external software and Mac. Comfort is becoming increasingly important to me, so it was the right decision for me.
I was in the market for the Innuos as well since it has easy CD ripping functionality. However, I just found out that the latest software release for the ROON Nucleus allows you to plug in an external USB drive and rip CD's automatically as well, just like the Innuos.

Jul 11, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #7 of 11
You don't need an expensive server for core-only w/ no DSP. Nucleus is plenty sufficient. Even cheaper would be a sonicTransporter or installing ROCK on a NUC. I had the Zenith 3 and now I have a Nucleus. It sounds the same to me as a network server i.e. not using USB out to DAC.

Jul 11, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #8 of 11
You don't need an expensive server for core-only w/ no DSP. Nucleus is plenty sufficient. Even cheaper would be a sonicTransporter or installing ROCK on a NUC. I had the Zenith 3 and now I have a Nucleus. It sounds the same to me as a network server i.e. not using USB out to DAC.
So you’re going USB direct from the Nucleus to your DAC?

Jul 18, 2020 at 6:50 PM Post #10 of 11

What's your view folks?
I happen to have a Lumin U1 for sale and it is highly rated, you can search roon community forums or other online forums to do research, I bought it couple months ago brand new.

Edit: My apologies, Lumin U1 is not for you as it is not fitting your requirements.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #11 of 11
I happen to have a Lumin U1 for sale and it is highly rated, you can search roon community forums or other online forums to do research, I bought it couple months ago brand new.

Edit: My apologies, Lumin U1 is not for you as it is not fitting your requirements.
Indeed - the U1 is a fine player, but wont; fit well into my setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back