High-End DAC suggestions for Melos/Vintage RS-1 combo
Sep 10, 2008 at 3:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

NoValidTitle

100+ Head-Fier
I was reading through the "do you consider Grado high end" and it was pretty mixed so if someone thinks this doesn't belong here that's fine...

Well I got out of the HF scene for 8 months or so and just stuck to my KSC75s but I'm back. I used to run a Melos SHA-Gold with newer RS-1s (6xxx serial if I recall). I just picked up another Melos and some brown band wood box RS-1s from the for sale forums and I'm looking to get a DAC for a computer as source setup.

So the things I would like in the DAC... hmm USB would be nice but not required. I would like it to be balanced for future possibilities and of course it should be high end.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Jim

Sep 10, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 15
There's a plethora of DAC's to choose from these days; plenty offer USB digital input.

You should check out these 2 threads.
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f7/all...an-buy-197674/
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/al...pt-2-a-325941/

Here's a quick list of possible ones. I'm not sure what high-end is for you, plus I haven't heard what high-end music should sound like. I think they all possess balanced output.

I mean it goes from these...
Bel Canto eOne DAC3
Electrocompaniet ECD-1
DAC1 PRE - Benchmark Media Systems, Inc.
Grace m902

to...
Esoteric D-01
Boulder 2020 DAC

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #6 of 15
I have a PS Audio DLIII w/ stage 3 Cullen mods and REALLY dig it... They go for around $1-1.2K on A'gon.

You could do a WHOLE lot worse than tkam's Northstar M192 MkII that he's unloading for $1K, IIRC. It's probably the best deal out there right now in this price range between the boards and A'gon. (just sold today)

If you're willing to stretch a bit more, Bel Canto DAC3 has a great rep (though I can't say I've heard it myself) for $1.675K on A'gon right now.

There's also a sleeper DAC on A'gon right now. In truth, I've been eyeing it myself. It's the Parasound D/AC 1100 going for $200. That DAC runs the PCM63K chip with a PCD100 digital filter. Well respected legacy DAC that is a TOTAL high performer.

On the more "musical" side of things, Electrocompaniet ECD-1's go for a bit over $1K on A'gon when you can catch them. They don't last though, so if you see one and you're wanting it... move fast!
wink.gif

EDIT: Oh, I just noticed your balanced output requirement. That narrows it down to the PSA DLIII, DAC3, and ECD1.

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #8 of 15
Stereophile's John Atkinson rates the DAC in the Grace Design m902 very highly -- in a tie with the Benchmark DAC1. (The review is available at Stereophile's website.) I think the m902 is spectacular. There is a version of it with balanced outs.

If I had the chance, I'd also check out the Cullen-modded PS Audio DLIII.

Cheers,

Sep 11, 2008 at 10:27 PM Post #9 of 15
I'm not a big fan of the Benchmark DAC1... definitely feel it's a bit too cold/dry/sterile—of course, that's just me.
cool.gif
That being said, I haven't heard the current one where the output op-amps have been changed.

I definitely think that if all you're looking for is a DAC, then there are better DAC-only solutions at the m902's price-point. If you're looking for headphone amp + DAC, there are also others at that price point and below that compete well with the m902, such as the Headroom Balanced Desktop, the Corda Opera, and the Lehman Black Cube Linear (haven't heard the Lehman, but have read good things... have heard the rest).

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:51 AM Post #12 of 15
Sep 12, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Spektrograf, if you want to keep it uder $1,500 how about a Monarchy Audio NM24. Specially with the special in Audiogon for $1,080.

Hmmmm... I've been curious about that one since it's tube out and SS out, however, I can't say I've had personal experience with it. I believe the current NM24 may use the PCM1704 chip which has a loyal following, or if it's used, it could be the very nice PCM63 (-K version?). Though, in general, I'm not fond of the idea of tube distortion at the DAC output stage, I can say that the Sonic Frontiers DAC's that have tube-output have VERY good rep.

Of course, the NM24 is single-ended, so for the OP it's out, but I'm still curious.
wink.gif
The good thing about the M24's is that they come up on A'gon from time-to-time.

What's your thoughts on the NM24?

Sep 13, 2008 at 12:17 AM Post #14 of 15
Spektrograf, I have had my NM24 for about 6 weeks and I can say w/o a doubt it is the best DAC I have owned. FYI, the best stand alone DAC I owned prior was the Oritek V4.1 and I thought it sounded better than a Benchmark.

The NM24 took about 200 hours to fully develp from new and it has a very airy, detailed, and clear presentation. I find that it complements my MPX3 and my X-Can V2 beautifully. The built in line stage can be used to drive headphones via an rca to 1/4" female socket, and it sounds very good.

Mr. Poon is located in San Francisco so it would be a heck of a drive but you can contact him and ask if there is an NM24 owner close to you. Who knows you may be able to audition one that way.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back