Hifiman RE800 silver
Jan 18, 2022 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cfranchi

500+ Head-Fier
RE800s is currently available at 149$ from Hifiman (starting price was 600$) : for RE800s owners, how do they compare to more recent IEM?

I’m very tempting by RE800s because of the very tiny form factor and current price but I’m debating if it is still worth to get it.

Thank you!

Aug 5, 2022 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 8
RE800s is currently available at 149$ from Hifiman (starting price was 600$) : for RE800s owners, how do they compare to more recent IEM?

I’m very tempting by RE800s because of the very tiny form factor and current price but I’m debating if it is still worth to get it.

Thank you!
Now it’s $99- maybe being phased out?

Jun 9, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #3 of 8
these are diffinitely worth $100, i've have a pair that i use with my Astell&Kern AK jr and ifi hip dac (original petrol blue), and they sound very nice, especially on the ifi, as the Burr Brown dac's slightly warm sound (at least in comparison with the Wolfson in the AK jr) rectifies the slight dip in the midrange (nothing terrible, just slightly lean).
these are reviewed better than the original RE800, which sits at a higher price point ($750 vs $600)

Jun 9, 2023 at 7:46 AM Post #4 of 8
Fully agree- they are my ‘goto’ IEMS when I travel, and are MUCH for comfortable for ‘deep insertion’ into the ear canal than Etymotics. I find they throw a really great sound-stage, great extension at both ends, really punch way above their price. I don’t know why they don’t get more love.

Jun 9, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #5 of 8
Fully agree- they are my ‘goto’ IEMS when I travel, and are MUCH for comfortable for ‘deep insertion’ into the ear canal than Etymotics. I find they throw a really great sound-stage, great extension at both ends, really punch way above their price. I don’t know why they don’t get more love.

Maybe it's because of their build quality or reputation of build quality? I enjoy mine as well(more than the RE2000s) but they do have bad driver flex on both sides.

Jun 9, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #6 of 8
Maybe it's because of their build quality or reputation of build quality? I enjoy mine as well(more than the RE2000s) but they do have bad driver flex on both sides.
Agree - I have to adjust quite a bit when they are inserted because the fit sometimes has such a good seal that sound is dampened. A little adjustment is necessary - but it’s less than $100 . I guess tho the field even at that level is quite competitive.

Jun 9, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 8
i think the maiin reason i like them so much is because of the impressive soundstage, and tight bass

Jun 9, 2023 at 6:34 PM Post #8 of 8
i tend to boost around 200Hz to 2Khz, and then around 4k - 6k, i find it brings a bit more detail into to sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back