Hifiman HE1000-SE
May 31, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #3,976 of 5,574
I would really like to hear other things, even another DAP with another DAC, but I can’t. Or I need to buy one and return it.

May 31, 2023 at 3:57 PM Post #3,977 of 5,574
Oratory1990 has a HE1000SE EQ that is much warmer. I listen using this most of the time. His list is here: https://www.reddit.com/r/oratory1990/wiki/index/list_of_presets/#wiki_full_list_of_eq_settings.3A
and the HE1000SE settings in particular are here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wmctxu285nnzq92/Hifiman HE1000se.pdf?dl=0

He has his own target, but this EQ in particular sounded even warmer than his normal EQ to me...which I found great. The HEKSE is a bit less airy but much more immersive with this EQ applied.
Thanks. I have just retried the HCurve EQ. Damn, I don’t like it more than the first time. I loose all the magic of the SE.

May 31, 2023 at 4:31 PM Post #3,978 of 5,574
Yes, the mojo2 easily drives the HEKSE.
Bearing in mind that the HEKSE scales up incredibly, nonetheless, you should get a great sound out of the HEKSE and Mojo 2!

May 31, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #3,981 of 5,574
I Decided to pick up the Hifiman HE1000SE to go alongside the Audeze LCD 4 & Sennheiser HD800S. First impressions below;

Build:

A lightweight planer headphone that has good clamp force and comfotarble pads so no complaints so far except that they can creek a little when in your hands.

The stock cables look like vaccum cleaner chords and I hate them. Custom is being ordered ASAP!

Setup:

Using the Topping D90 & Cayin HA-3A with Roon/Tidal.

Sound:

Detail, Detail, Detail! There is an astonishing amount of detail with this headphone. I thought that the LCD 4 was unbelievable at detail retrieval and it still is. However, the HE1000SE takes it up a level. You can really hear beyond to the deepest background of the music and pick those details out clearly as apposed to really having to focus or miss them on other headphones.For context the HD800S which is considered a very detailed headphone is miles behind the HE1000SE in this aspect.

This is the best imaging, stero imaging I have ever heard! It is so fast and pin point precise that it left me a bit floored on some songs that really utilised fast imiging. Check out Black Shoes by Felix Laband to test your headphones imaging.

Bass is good on the HE1000SE. It's not the same level as the LCD 4 in terms of slam and force but its there and its very enjoyable. The bass is very well textured and resolving and that is on the same level on the LCD 4 in that regard.

Vocals on the HE1000SE is not on the same level as the LCD 4. It just doesn't have the warmth and body for the vocals in comparion but still enjoyable on a tube amplifier which addds some warmth. The treble on the other hand is very impressive and does not get at all peaky to me and I am treble sensitive (maybe because I am using a tube amplifier).

If I had to sum up this headphone I would say it's like an ultra Sennheiser HD800S if Sennheiser ever made one in planar form but with much improved technicals all across the board and much better bass and vocals.

Attachments

• 20230531_213750.jpg
    20230531_213750.jpg
    822 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230531_213926.jpg
    20230531_213926.jpg
    898.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230531_214111.jpg
    20230531_214111.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230531_214148.jpg
    20230531_214148.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
May 31, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #3,982 of 5,574
I Decided to pick up the Hifiman HE1000SE to go alongside the Audeze LCD 4 & Sennheiser HD800S. First impressions below;

Build:

A lightweight planer headphone that has good clamp force and comfotarble pads so no complaints so far except that they can creek a little when in your hands.

The stock cables look like vaccum cleaner chords and I hate them. Custom is being ordered ASAP!

Setup:

Using the Topping D90 & Cayin HA-3A with Roon/Tidal.

Sound:

Detail, Detail, Detail! There is an astonishing amount of detail with this headphone. I thought that the LCD 4 was unbelievable at detail retrieval and it still is. However, the HE1000SE takes it up a level. You can really hear beyond to the deepest background of the music and pick those details out clearly as apposed to really having to focus or miss them on other headphones.For context the HD800S which is considered a very detailed headphone is miles behind the HE1000SE in this aspect.

This is the best imaging, stero imaging I have ever heard! It is so fast and pin point precise that it left me a bit floored on some songs that really utilised fast imiging. Check out Black Shoes by Felix Laband to test your headphones imaging.

Bass is good on the HE1000SE. It's not the same level as the LCD 4 in terms of slam and force but its there and its very enjoyable. The bass is very well textured and resolving and that is on the same level on the LCD 4 in that regard.

Vocals on the HE1000SE is not on the same level as the LCD 4. It just doesn't have the warmth and body for the vocals in comparion but still enjoyable on a tube amplifier which addds some warmth. The treble on the other hand is very impressive and does not get at all peaky to me and I am treble sensitive (maybe because I am using a tube amplifier).

If I had to sum up this headphone I would say it's like an ultra Sennheiser HD800S if Sennheiser ever made one in planar form but with much improved technicals all across the board and much better bass and vocals.
My impressions mirrors yours. Its soundstage is more realistic compared to HD8XX. And its stereo imaging is second to none (except for Susvara probably). Vocals aren't warm or lush like HD650 but it's got good and clear midrange detail. I kinda like how HiFiMan does their midrange and vocal clarity here. I suspect if they come out with HE1000 Organic, this is where they can improve upon. Pairing with tube amp and warmer source definitely helps in this regard.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2023 at 5:02 AM Post #3,983 of 5,574
Vocals on the HE1000SE is not on the same level as the LCD 4. It just doesn't have the warmth and body for the vocals in comparion but still enjoyable on a tube amplifier which addds some warmth.
I am definitely unhappy about vocals on the he1000se. Never been fond of tubes but i might have to try one again. V281 at moment , adds thickness and a touch of analogousness but still they far from a palpable and natural rendering of human voices

Jun 1, 2023 at 5:50 AM Post #3,984 of 5,574
I am definitely unhappy about vocals on the he1000se. Never been fond of tubes but i might have to try one again. V281 at moment , adds thickness and a touch of analogousness but still they far from a palpable and natural rendering of human voices
I had the impedance setting on low on the Cayin HA-3A and the vocals were really soft and did not have much body to them. Once I switched to the medium impedance those issues were mostly resolved but I think the LCD 4 does a much better job with the vocal presentation and it has a warmth and clarity that cannot be matched. I do think that the vocals on the HE1000SE are better than on the 800S.

Jun 1, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #3,985 of 5,574
Vocals is definitely not the HEKse's strong suit, but it's not a weakness either. They don't have the lushness or texture of a ZMF or Audeze headphone, but the HEKse's is more detailed and nuanced than both throughout the midrange. It's a big reason I own the HEK v2's, which tradeoff some technicalities for sweeter, more musical sound. At least by Hifiman standards :)

Jun 1, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #3,986 of 5,574
Vocals is definitely not the HEKse's strong suit, but it's not a weakness either. They don't have the lushness or texture of a ZMF or Audeze headphone, but the HEKse's is more detailed and nuanced than both throughout the midrange. It's a big reason I own the HEK v2's, which tradeoff some technicalities for sweeter, more musical sound. At least by Hifiman standards :)
This!

Going from my Atrium to HEKse is like hearing two different tracks. Vocals are definitely the most prominent difference.

Jun 1, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #3,987 of 5,574
From my own experience of having owned the HEKSE, for vocals, you can consider the following "side-grades"; Spirit Torino Twin Pulse Ragnarr, Final D8000 (non pro), Solitaire P-SE. I've owned all before and I find these side-grades to have better rendition of vocals whilst still being able to match the technicalities and resolution of the HEKSE. Bonus is that they also do bass better than the HEKSE, especially the D8000 and P-SE.

Of course if you really love the mid range, then the Susvara is a clear upgrade.

Jun 1, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #3,988 of 5,574
Just a gaming update on these.

The best headphones for gaming I have ever experienced. WAY better than the Sennheiser HD800S. It's like I have a 3D picture of everything near and far away from me. It is so pinpoint and precise as to where the enemy is on the map on games like Battlefield V that I hear and go to that exact spot and they are there. The depth is also unreal as you can hear everything precisely behind you and in front in the distance.

Jun 4, 2023 at 3:34 AM Post #3,989 of 5,574
PXL_20230604_072334664.PORTRAIT.jpg

WM1AM2 + Oriolus BA300S sounds great 👍 detailed, spacious, and mellow.

By itself driven off WM1AM2, it can sound a bit dry and thin. BA300S adds some body, warmth, and extended spaciousness to the sound. Bass sounds tight and well textured. I enjoy vocals very much with this setup.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #3,990 of 5,574
so you use wm1am2 headphone out into line in of the amp ?

can you feel where or how the sound degrades ? I've considered to plug the Sony balanced hp out into the Violectric 280/281 xlr balanced line in , not so sure that lowgain/120 via headphone out into amp line-in doesn't deteriorate sound
could be helpful on hekv2 ( and for temporarily saving on another dac :p too )
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/510XJpyXkdL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back