HiFiMan HE-5 and HeadRoom Amps
Mar 1, 2010 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

aimlink

Headphoneus Supremus
So, has anyone used an HE-5 with one of the HeadRoom Amps?

Has anyone at HeadRoom auditioned the HE-5? Any plans to be a reseller?

I'm genuinely curious about them. They seem like a terrific bang for the buck, but their spartan appearance does seem to turn off a few. They are apparently a bit heavy as well?

Mar 1, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, has anyone used an HE-5 with one of the HeadRoom Amps?

Has anyone at HeadRoom auditioned the HE-5? Any plans to be a reseller?

I'm genuinely curious about them. They seem like a terrific bang for the buck, but their spartan appearance does seem to turn off a few. They are apparently a bit heavy as well?

I'd suggest checking out the impressions thread if you haven't already: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/he-...usings-450658/

They look and feel great in person and their weight could go either way depending on your current gear and what you've tried. They're about the same weight as my Shure SRH840s, give or take a few deca-grams. Once they're on your head, they're quite comfortable-- the pads are stiffer than the velours on a Beyer, but sit nicely and the inside lining of the headband has memory foam in it.

Can't comment on the synergy between the HeadRoom amps though.

Mar 1, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #3 of 8
I don't plan to buy an amp just for a particular pair of headphones, so I was wondering. It's my HeadRoom UltraDesktop all the way until much later.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 8
Hi All,

ABSOLUTELY!

We have some HE5 headphones and a small stash of brand-new HiFi Man reference portable players heading our way from Head-Direct ASAP...

Stay tuned, ya'll!
tongue_smile.gif

Cheers,
jorge
HR Service & Sales Manager

Mar 5, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 8
I don't know about the rest of the Headroom line, but I was able to try a pair of HE5's on my Micro Amp for a very short time at the last Nor Cal meet, and I had to run them on high gain, and the volume was up pretty high to get adequate amount of sound out of them (FYI, I'm 25 and not hard of hearing.)

It was a bit noisy in that room (which is a factor to consider), and I didn't get much time with them, but from that short stint I decided that a more powerful setup would probably be needed.

I don't know how the Ultra Desktop would do, but I can't wait to hear from Headroom about these headphones, because they sound brilliant.

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:23 PM Post #6 of 8
I spent a little while listening to them.

I thought they have a lovely "old school" sound. Don't ask me what that means; maybe it's just because their sound is reminiscent of Magnapans, or something. They were generally a little tipped up for my taste, but I know my taste runs warm. I don't think they're up there with the 800 or T1 which are extraordinarily refined headphones, but they were fun and competent. Frankly, I'm astonished Fang managed to make such a good sounding headphone in that price range right off the bat. There must be something to this orthodynamic thing.

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I spent a little while listening to them.

I thought they have a lovely "old school" sound. Don't ask me what that means; maybe it's just because their sound is reminiscent of Magnapans, or something. They were generally a little tipped up for my taste, but I know my taste runs warm. I don't think they're up there with the 800 or T1 which are extraordinarily refined headphones, but they were fun and competent. Frankly, I'm astonished Fang managed to make such a good sounding headphone in that price range right off the bat. There must be something to this orthodynamic thing.

What were you driving them with and what were their sensitivity like?

Mar 9, 2010 at 7:54 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What were you driving them with and what were their sensitivity like?

Voltage rms for 90dB SPL: 0.364953

As a reference the 800 is 0.2465625 , AKG K701 is 0.2940078125, Denon D5000 is 0.114828125,and the T1 is 0.359625

So, not very voltage sensitive, and given the impedance is 30 Ohms vs the T1 600 you're putting out 20x the current ... these are pretty hard headphones to drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back