Hifiman He-400 vs Sennheiser hd600 vs Fidelio x1
Sep 23, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 15
The HE-400 and HD600 would probably be best amped, which means perhaps another $100 added onto their cost. Any chance you could audition any of the three? My local Best Buy has some higher end Sennheisers, as a thought.

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 15
I have/had the HE400, HD650 (very similar to H600), and X1.  Order of preference: H650>X1>HE400.

Unless you listen exclusively to bass heavy music like dubstep, I would get the HD600 if you have an amp, otherwise get the X1.

Sep 24, 2014 at 1:41 AM Post #8 of 15
I've had extensive amounts of time with the X1, HE-400, and have also heard the HD650. I agree with @Za Warudo, the only way I'd choose the HE-400 is if you needed insane speed, or listened to only jazz and EDM.

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:54 AM Post #9 of 15
I tried the HE400 once and didn't care for it. HE400i seemed nice when I heard it though.

The HD600 is my favorite headphone until you hit the PM2 at $700, so I'd recommend that one.

Sep 25, 2014 at 6:14 AM Post #11 of 15
Hd-600 - Clearer mids, a bit more transparent, more forward and smooth mids. Moderate bass, but well controlled. Good soundstage and separation.
X1 - Wider soundstage, better separation, bigger and boomier bass, mids are muddier.

It comes down to preference. Right now, I am enjoying the X1s a bit more because the bass and slight less forwardness in the mids make it sound 'thicker'. The bass can get a bit bloated, I think. But the immersion that the X1s have as a result of the soundstage, bass presence, and slight congestion in the midrange is wonderful. They do lose a bit of resolution when things get hectic.

The hd-600s are more neutral, but in my opinion they feel brighter as a result of their transparency, although they are often touted as being 'veiled'. I don't find this to be true.

Anyway, both are absolutely stellar. As for the he-400, I find them awkwardly colored: the mids feel a bit pushed back, the bass is great, but there is a treble peak and recession which make them sound dark and bright at the same time, which makes them awfully unrefined to me. I don't like them at all. Plus they are uncomfortable as Hell.

Go with the Fidelios: easier to drive, great sound which hits on all fronts, looks amazing, and it's cheaper.

Sep 25, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #12 of 15
  Hd-600 - Clearer mids, a bit more transparent, more forward and smooth mids. Moderate bass, but well controlled. Good soundstage and separation.
X1 - Wider soundstage, better separation, bigger and boomier bass, mids are muddier.

It comes down to preference. Right now, I am enjoying the X1s a bit more because the bass and slight less forwardness in the mids make it sound 'thicker'. The bass can get a bit bloated, I think. But the immersion that the X1s have as a result of the soundstage, bass presence, and slight congestion in the midrange is wonderful. They do lose a bit of resolution when things get hectic.

The hd-600s are more neutral, but in my opinion they feel brighter as a result of their transparency, although they are often touted as being 'veiled'. I don't find this to be true.

Anyway, both are absolutely stellar. As for the he-400, I find them awkwardly colored: the mids feel a bit pushed back, the bass is great, but there is a treble peak and recession which make them sound dark and bright at the same time, which makes them awfully unrefined to me. I don't like them at all. Plus they are uncomfortable as Hell.

Go with the Fidelios: easier to drive, great sound which hits on all fronts, looks amazing, and it's cheaper.

+1

Sep 25, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #13 of 15
I'd take the HD600 and an amp personally, but that is quite expensive. Do you have a budget/reason you're only looking at these 3 cans? What music do you listen to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back