HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Nov 15, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #2,626 of 11,881
Thanks for the replies. I think I just need more time to adjust to the Anandas before making a decision. Plus I will have to sort out an amp. I do listen mostly to classical or jazz like music so it sounds like the Arya will suit my preferences very well.
FWIW: Don’t know about the Ananda's but the Arya’s are so nice with acoustic live jazz

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #2,630 of 11,881
Thanks for the replies. I think I just need more time to adjust to the Anandas before making a decision. Plus I will have to sort out an amp. I do listen mostly to classical or jazz like music so it sounds like the Arya will suit my preferences very well.
The Arya is like the Hifiman for HD800(s) fans - a headphone that many a classical n jazz aficionados absolutely adore. If you find the Ananda a little too warm/muted in the treble, then the Arya may just be what you’re looking for:)

Edith: Having said that I still think someone with an affinity for classical and jazz music would be happier with something like a K702, where the uppermids aren’t recessed (like they are on every planar magnetic headphone on the market).

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #2,631 of 11,881
Yes.

Ive read that the Arya's are the evolution of the Edition X V2s, but i dont agree.
How could they be? They don't contain the V2's Drivers.
I would say they are the upgrade of the Ananda Sound., as they have more of the Ananda sound-tone. Especially regarding the upper register.

I have a HEX v2 maxed out - it is not the precursor to the Arya. The Ananda came out of the HEX, but the membrane is a good deal thinner, thus the rather vast difference in sound.

The Arya came out of HFM's work in the the HEK v1 -> v2 era, with some sort of emphasis on bass and dynamics.

I find a lot wrong with the Ananda, but it is still the #1 open back option at its price. Issues: mids lacking body (my modded HE-500 easily beats them overall IMO), lacks bass impact (has good tonality, is quick - you want to hear impact try the HE-6 (not se), the treble does all the right things for macro dynamics and good detail, but seems weak on microdynamics and harmonics. Needs to have 7-8 kHz turned down.

The Arya has way more technicals than the Ananda. Better bass crunch. Quite fatiguing around 5 kHz. Dynamic and lively. These are probably the best open back for its list. Overall it may not be as good as the HE6se. It is better than the HEX or Ananda.

If you are looking to do a two can to cover everything - you could do worse then the E2 and Arya. E2 is on the branch that includes the HEX v2 and LCD-4. Or you could combine that money and get an open back Susvara which is way above any can mentioned so far (better than Emp, Utopia), near tie to the Abyss Phi for top planar - haven't heard the Phi in a long time, so not clear.

Nov 17, 2020 at 8:48 AM Post #2,632 of 11,881
Hi
I have a hifiman ananda with an ifi micro idsd signature. This combo sounds great.
The xbass effect has been improved and works great with ananda.
I mostly listen to rock, pop, 80s music, hans zimmer ost, epic music, rb, edm ..
I also have a fostex th900 that I use only for edm, for everything else ananda.
I also have solaris, but I like the Ananda much more, they sound very natural. Crinacle in his ranking says that he is tonally one of the best.
I have been offered arya in exchange for the ananda. I know they have more resolution and more soundstage but I have read that they have less impact and sound more remote.
People who have had both tell me that the ananda go better with the genres I listen to and the arya better in classical and jazz.
I would only consider the arya if they maintain the impact and bass of the ananda and offer me an improve of detail and soundstage and with the music I listen to, bands like rem, maná, acdc, iron maiden, cramberries, michael jackson, weekend, hans zimmer etc. .
Would the arya have the impact of the ananda or would they sound thin like the hd800?
Cheers

Read my other post. The Ananda is no match for the Arya.

Nov 17, 2020 at 3:23 PM Post #2,634 of 11,881
The Arya is like the Hifiman for HD800(s) fans - a headphone that many a classical n jazz aficionados absolutely adore. If you find the Ananda a little too warm/muted in the treble, then the Arya may just be what you’re looking for:)

Edith: Having said that I still think someone with an affinity for classical and jazz music would be happier with something like a K702, where the uppermids aren’t recessed (like they are on every planar magnetic headphone on the market).

I’ve owned several Hifiman headphones including the he400, he400i, he560(twice and both times modded) and the HEX v2. So far the Ananda is the best in terms of tonality but I seem to remember the HEX having a deeper soundstage. Maybe that was an effect of the tuning though. The HEX was too soft up top for me and I preferred the treble in the he560.
I’ve also owned the HD800 (early on) and it had great resolution and a huge soundstage but it was an unnatural soundstage to me as I coming from 2channel and found the “immersiveness” or kind of spherical nature of the soundstage give me a sense of floating in space as opposed to sitting in my listening chair. I probably would have a different sense now though.
Definitely sounding like I would really like the Arya. I do not find the Ananda that much “muted” but there is some loss of resolution from the Campfire Audio Solaris 2020.

I have a HEX v2 maxed out - it is not the precursor to the Arya. The Ananda came out of the HEX, but the membrane is a good deal thinner, thus the rather vast difference in sound.

The Arya came out of HFM's work in the the HEK v1 -> v2 era, with some sort of emphasis on bass and dynamics.

I find a lot wrong with the Ananda, but it is still the #1 open back option at its price. Issues: mids lacking body (my modded HE-500 easily beats them overall IMO), lacks bass impact (has good tonality, is quick - you want to hear impact try the HE-6 (not se), the treble does all the right things for macro dynamics and good detail, but seems weak on microdynamics and harmonics. Needs to have 7-8 kHz turned down.

The Arya has way more technicals than the Ananda. Better bass crunch. Quite fatiguing around 5 kHz. Dynamic and lively. These are probably the best open back for its list. Overall it may not be as good as the HE6se. It is better than the HEX or Ananda.

If you are looking to do a two can to cover everything - you could do worse then the E2 and Arya. E2 is on the branch that includes the HEX v2 and LCD-4. Or you could combine that money and get an open back Susvara which is way above any can mentioned so far (better than Emp, Utopia), near tie to the Abyss Phi for top planar - haven't heard the Phi in a long time, so not clear.

This is a great post for selling me on the Arya... or Susvara if finances would permit.

Nov 18, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #2,635 of 11,881
Do you guys think that should drive the Arya fully? I'm not at all an expert in this area - hope you guys can shed some light on this!

NEO iDSD's power output is similar to xCAN and with Aryas would result in 120dB+ SPL, which is more than loud. Just an idea, but I'd search for impressions of xCAN users with Aryas as this feedback would accurately tell what to expect.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 18, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #2,638 of 11,881
Have been looking at the ifi NEO iDSD -

OutputBalanced>6.4V/68.6 mW (@ 600Ω)
>5.77V/1040 mW (@ 32Ω)

Do you guys think that should drive the Arya fully? I'm not at all an expert in this area - hope you guys can shed some light on this!

I use to have the sony zh1es as the all in one option. It is rated at 1250mv (@ 32Ω). After I upgraded the amp to a90 6250mv (@ 32Ω) I notice the improvement on the dynamic and bass impact is quite huge.

Nov 19, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #2,639 of 11,881
I use to have the sony zh1es as the all in one option. It is rated at 1250mv (@ 32Ω). After I upgraded the amp to a90 6250mv (@ 32Ω) I notice the improvement on the dynamic and bass impact is quite huge.

Was it with Aryas or some other cans?

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Nov 19, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #2,640 of 11,881
I’ve owned several Hifiman headphones including the he400, he400i, he560(twice and both times modded) and the HEX v2. So far the Ananda is the best in terms of tonality but I seem to remember the HEX having a deeper soundstage. Maybe that was an effect of the tuning though. The HEX was too soft up top for me and I preferred the treble in the he560.
I’ve also owned the HD800 (early on) and it had great resolution and a huge soundstage but it was an unnatural soundstage to me as I coming from 2channel and found the “immersiveness” or kind of spherical nature of the soundstage give me a sense of floating in space as opposed to sitting in my listening chair. I probably would have a different sense now though.
Definitely sounding like I would really like the Arya. I do not find the Ananda that much “muted” but there is some loss of resolution from the Campfire Audio Solaris 2020.

This is a great post for selling me on the Arya... or Susvara if finances would permit.
560 had so much treble that I tought tonality was ruined. I think strong treble is what suits you. HE1000 series. Arya treble is a bit subdued than the HE1000 series, but could actually be the HEKV2. It sounded somewhat subdued compared to V1 or SE. SE was bright like V1.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back