HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Oct 26, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #2,596 of 11,884
I disliked the Serenity pads that came with the Arya v2. I remember that the Ultrapad on the Arya v1 was comfortable, so I used a new Ultrapad with my v2 (cutting out the dust cover from it since the v2 already had one installed on the baffle). I don't know whether if the Serenity pad foam is simply stiffer than that on the Ultrapad, or if it was just batch variance. I can just say that the Ultrapad worked out for me on my Arya v2's. However, the material used for the cloth covering part of the pad that contacts your face/side of the head is the same between the Serenity pads and the Ultrapads AFAIK. So, if the Serenity pad material is causing itchiness, the Ultrapad material is likely to do the same.
Good to know. I may try the Utrapads too then. I don't think I used the best word when I said itchy. When I say my current pads are itchy, I don't mean in like an actual allergic reaction kind of way. They just feel scratchy against my face, not soft. The feeling is uncomfortable but don't actually cause an itch on my face.

Oct 26, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #2,597 of 11,884
Its not the same pad
Oh, did you get the stock HEKv1 pads with your HEKv1's? I see others selling their HEKv1's with the Ultrapads in place rather than the stock pads. Yeah, the old HEKv1 pads used to use velour (similar to that of the focuspad non-pleather bits, no?) rather than fabric material now used in most of their pads (palipads, ultrapads, serenity pads, harmony pads, etc). It would have be nice if someone 3d printed retaining rings (close-up of the rear face of the pads showing the ring here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...-for-a-couple-of-dollars.816442/post-12775964) for the egg-shaped Hifiman line, which right now includes several sku's, so that other pad makers can try their hands in making pads for them. Someone did pad roll the HEKv1's with vegans to good effect according to their ears: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/official-hifiman-he1000-impressions-thread.767883/#post-11615154

Good to know. I may try the Utrapads too then. I don't think I used the best word when I said itchy. When I say my current pads are itchy, I don't mean in like an actual allergic reaction kind of way. They just feel scratchy against my face, not soft. The feeling is uncomfortable but don't actually cause an itch on my face.
Like I said, the materials used for the Ultrapad and the Serenity pads (the latter being the stock pads of the Arya v2's) are the same. If the Serenity pad fabric material bothers you, I'm afraid that the Ultrapads will also. Personally, I'm not bothered by the materials themselves but rather how less forgiving the cushioning of the Serenity pads that came with my Arya v2's felt compared to the Ultrapads that I received later. I don't know if all of the Serenity pads are like that or mine just came from a bad batch.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 1:57 AM Post #2,598 of 11,884
Haven't gotten my 2x3pin balanced cable yet but with stock quarter-inch, damn does this thing have deep punchy bass.
None of my gears was able to supply the current and power this thing needs. I went from estat level bass to the punch that my focal clears provided back when I owned them.

Running Cayin IHA-6 with Denafrips Ares II balanced and I've never had a headphone experience like this.
Definately recommend this pairing to anyone looking for the perfect set of gears. Cayin has a special low impedance high current mode that's perfect for planar.
20201027_164822.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 4:56 AM Post #2,599 of 11,884
Hi All,
Once again asking if anyone can recommend 4.4mm balanced cable for Arya from Aliexpress since 11.11 coming and there are so many options not sure which one are more reliable and good quality. Thanks

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:59 AM Post #2,600 of 11,884
Nov 2, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #2,601 of 11,884
Anyone try these with a WM1Z as the source. I have been an iem guy for a couple years but am yearning to get back to headphones. Not really wanting to go all crazy with amps and looking for something that would work from a WM1Z.
Also, do these have a brighter top end than the Edition X V2? I had those a few years ago and for my aging ears, the top end was a little too laid back.

Nov 2, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #2,603 of 11,884
Anyone try these with a WM1Z as the source. I have been an iem guy for a couple years but am yearning to get back to headphones. Not really wanting to go all crazy with amps and looking for something that would work from a WM1Z.
Also, do these have a brighter top end than the Edition X V2? I had those a few years ago and for my aging ears, the top end was a little too laid back.
Cant speak for edition x v2..... but the ideal setup for Arya is using a high current desktop AMP.
My zh1es has about 5 times the output power compare to the WM1z. And it can not drive Arya well. So if u want to stick to a DAP as the source i would suggest get the ANANDA instead.

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:22 PM Post #2,604 of 11,884
Cant speak for edition x v2..... but the ideal setup for Arya is using a high current desktop AMP.
My zh1es has about 5 times the output power compare to the WM1z. And it can not drive Arya well. So if u want to stick to a DAP as the source i would suggest get the ANANDA instead.
Don't think that's fair to say.
Once I got my balanced cable, A&K Kann Cube has been driving Aryas extremely well.
Arya is definately portable in my setup. Do i get as much current as the Cayin IHA-6, no, but the kann gets me 90% there.

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #2,605 of 11,884
Thats about right. I feel the sonic improvement from zh1es to A90 is around 5-10% if I have to put a arbitrary number on it.

But I believe in highend audio 10% better is a huge deal.

Speaking from my own experience hekv2 is only about 20% better than the he400i, and u have to pay more than 10times the money.

Nov 2, 2020 at 10:21 PM Post #2,606 of 11,884
WM1Z has insanely low power output. Would want either something beefer or to stack it with something like IFI Xcan.
Otherwise, i'd consider focal's lineup. Either radiance or clears.

Nov 2, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #2,607 of 11,884
Thanks for the replies... Hmm, been in the iem world too long I think as the WM1Z has tons of power for my CA Solaris..

Looking at the specs from these posts, maybe only the Kann has even close to enough power.. Shame.. I don't really have the funds to start down the path with amps and such and I so love my WM1Z... I guess I have to look elsewhere.. The Arya reviews sure made them sound like something I would truly enjoy..

Thanks again!

Nov 6, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #2,608 of 11,884
Heres something for everyone who wanted different pads for their Aryas to consider:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Lambskin-Cu...ition-X-V2-EDX-ANANDA-Headphones/133500017164

I just got HE1000v1's and the pads are itchy as hell. Might take the plunge.
Just received my pair. Quick impression time.

The earpad itself is very well made with good stitching complementing the soft memory foam.
Comfort wise it is a huge improvement compare to the serinity pad. That pad has the stiffest cushion I have ever experienced on a headphone.
After a 1 hour listening session i did not notice any sonic difference between the two pair of earpad. Maybe a tiny bit more bass.
The biggest issue is it does not come with an fitting ring. So i have to tore apart the serenity pad for its ring inorder to install the DIY pad.
And guess what, after I put the earpad on the fitting ring, it cannot be put back on the headphone due to the thickness of the leather from the DIY earpad is creating to much gap for the ring teeth to click on the headphone.
I end put using a gunpla cutting knife to get rid of the teeth on the ring and hard glue the earpad back to the headphone.
so please just get the ultra pad and cut the mash off if u want to replace the serenity pad.

Attachments

• DSC_0294.JPG
    DSC_0294.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0293.JPG
    DSC_0293.JPG
    961.3 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0292.JPG
    DSC_0292.JPG
    929 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0295.JPG
    DSC_0295.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC_0296.JPG
    DSC_0296.JPG
    836.9 KB · Views: 0
Nov 6, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #2,609 of 11,884
Just received my pair. Quick impression time.

The earpad itself is very well made with good stitching complementing the soft memory foam.
Comfort wise it is a huge improvement compare to the serinity pad. That pad has the stiffest cushion I have ever experienced on a headphone.
After a 1 hour listening session i did not notice any sonic difference between the two pair of earpad. Maybe a tiny bit more bass.
The biggest issue is it does not come with an fitting ring. So i have to tore apart the serenity pad for its ring inorder to install the DIY pad.
And guess what, after I put the earpad on the fitting ring, it cannot be put back on the headphone due to the thickness of the leather from the DIY earpad is creating to much gap for the ring teeth to click on the headphone.
I end put using a gunpla cutting knife to get rid of the teeth on the ring and hard glue the earpad back to the headphone.
so please just get the ultra pad and cut the mash off if u want to replace the serenity pad.
Yup, the ultrapads have surprisingly softer cushioning compared to the serenity pads. Now I can wear my Arya v2's all day rather having to take them off my head after 10-15 minutes with the serenity pads. The comfort that I enjoyed with my Arya v1's returned with the ultrapads. I just had to cut out the dust cover away from the ultrapads to make them work well with the Arya v2's. I just don't know why the foam of the serenity pads is so stiff. I thought it could have been variation between serenity pads. Now I don't know. I'm glad to see that you found a workaround to discomfort of the serenity pads. Those leather replacement pads do look interesting.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2020 at 2:37 AM Post #2,610 of 11,884
Yup, the ultrapads has surprisingly softer cushioning compared to the serenity pads. Now I can wear my Arya v2's all day rather having to take them off my head after 10-15 minutes with the serenity pads. The comfort I enjoyed with my Arya v1's returned with the ultrapads. I just had to cut out the mesh of the ultrapads to make them work well with the Arya v2's. I just don't know why the foam of the serenity pads is so stiff. I thought it could have been variation between serenity pads. Now I don't know. I'm glad to see that you found a workaround to discomfort of the serenity pads. Those leather replacement pads do look interesting.
Knowing hifiman... they will never do stuff for the good will of the customer. They released a slient revision on ANANDA Arya hekv2 and hekse in order to increase thier reliability, but heh they cant do it for free you know, so they cheap out on the foam on the new earpads.
I mean just look at Arya, a repackaged hek with `reasonable' price at 1600, but again, we cant just sell our consumer a 3k headphone for 1600 and call it a day, lets cheap out on everything else. Frankly I shocked Arya even come with a box and cable, thats money lost for hifiman there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back