HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jan 10, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #9,361 of 11,884
Hey guys, I'm currently looking for a nicer system for my Arya v2. I'm using an smsl su-9 + topping a90 at the moment, but find my system to be wanting in regards to it sounding fairly cold and bordering sibilance on some ocasions. My price-point for new components would be arround roughly 1000€ per piece.
Any recommendations?

Jan 10, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #9,362 of 11,884
Hey guys, I'm currently looking for a nicer system for my Arya v2. I'm using an smsl su-9 + topping a90 at the moment, but find my system to be wanting in regards to it sounding fairly cold and bordering sibilance on some ocasions. My price-point for new components would be arround roughly 1000€ per piece.
Any recommendations?
Have you considered a Class A amp a la Burson Soloist 3XP and switching to an R2R DAC? Or even just switching to a hybrid tube amp would cull the sibilance you’re experiencing.

I had the Topping A90 for a while and came to know it pretty well. Going to the Soloist pulled the Arya into a more open and more natural timbre than when I had it paired with the A90. Having a Bifrost 2 in the chain also helped with this. I understand that Schiit products are difficult to come by in the EU, but I figure a similarly priced R2R DAC from another manufacturer could also help.

Jan 10, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #9,363 of 11,884
Any recommendations?
If you can stretch a bit I’d recommend picking up a used GSX Mini.
I’m not sure about the DACs but the Denafrips Ares gets good reviews but I’ve never heard it.

I’d also heartily recommend the XI Audio Broadway (balanced) if you can find a used one.

Jan 11, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #9,364 of 11,884
Any recommendations?
Find a used high-end amp of the discrete Class A variety - and you'll be set up pretty good for the forseeable future. I found a used Gustard H20 to pair with my SU-9 - it was less than an OG A90 and crushed it in SQ and presentation. Of course, I upgraded the IC opamps to discretes for a li'l extra Class A goodness. I'd look for something from Flux Labs, Singxer, Kinki Studios, Violectric, Burson, and the like. Heck, even Schitt......

Jan 11, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #9,365 of 11,884
Any recommendations?
Get a HiFiMan EF400 and save some money.
Great synergy with the Arya, organic and analogue sound.

Jan 11, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #9,366 of 11,884
Any recommendations?
I got the RME ADI 2 and it simply sounds amazing. There are also tons of reviews explaining why this is a great Dac Amp

Jan 11, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #9,367 of 11,884
Have you considered a Class A amp a la Burson Soloist 3XP and switching to an R2R DAC? Or even just switching to a hybrid tube amp would cull the sibilance you’re experiencing.

I had the Topping A90 for a while and came to know it pretty well. Going to the Soloist pulled the Arya into a more open and more natural timbre than when I had it paired with the A90. Having a Bifrost 2 in the chain also helped with this. I understand that Schiit products are difficult to come by in the EU, but I figure a similarly priced R2R DAC from another manufacturer could also help.
Managed to find a guy willing to sell his holo audio spring kte, that settles the thing with the r2r dac :wink:

You are absolutely right, Schiit products are an absolute pain to pick up in Europe. They come with long waiting times combined with hefty markup-prices otherwise i might have bought a bifrost months ago.

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2023 at 8:10 AM Post #9,368 of 11,884
You are absolutely right, Schiit products are an absolute pain to pick up in Europe. They come with long waiting times combined with hefty markup-prices otherwise i might have bought a bifrost months ago.
You are right. Last year I tried to buy an Asgard 3 + Modius combo from the EU Schiit store and when one was available, the other was missing and vice versa. In the end I got fed up and chose other products available in a Spanish online store.

Jan 11, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #9,369 of 11,884
Managed to find a guy willing to sell his holo audio spring kte, that settles the thing with the r2r dac :wink:

Let us know your feedback with new r2r dac.

Jan 12, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #9,371 of 11,884
Does anyone have a 5 channel EQ setting that they are happy with so I can use that as a base to tweak?
Try below for Arya v2:

# Preamp: -19.7 dB
Filter: ON PK Fc 5 Hz Gain 6 dB BW Oct 2.1442
Filter: ON PK Fc 20 Hz Gain 5 dB BW Oct 3.8799
Filter: ON PK Fc 290 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 1
Filter: ON PK Fc 1630 Hz Gain 2 dB BW Oct 5.066
Filter: ON PK Fc 2800 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 6
Filter: ON PK Fc 4970 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 6
Filter: ON PK Fc 8000 Hz Gain -4 dB Q 6.9962

Depending on the DAC or your preferences feel free to make Gain higher or lower on 20 Hz. With Ares ii I need to pull it much higher. For other DACs like Qutest it gives good slam. Do give trial with different Gain settings on 20 Hz Freq to arrive at good balance between more slam vs more mid clarity.

1673515475484.png

BTW, I got more than 48 yrs old ears . So... be aware and careful :)

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 6:04 AM Post #9,373 of 11,884
I try to understand why so many people complain about base with the Arya Stealth, I audited a few times and everytime, with different amps at a store. The base was exactly right, not to much not to little??. Unless you want some kind of subwoofer on the head?
Well, it's all subjective, isn't it? I've had the Arya Stealth for a couple of months and it's become my favorite headphone (and not by a small margin) even over my ZMF Aeolus. Imaging, separation and stage, in particular, are just wonderful. However, my one criticism of the Arya is that I find it bass light compared to the Aeolus and several of my other headphones. Now that is quantity only--I think the bass quality of the Arya is the best I've heard. When bass is prominent on a track (I'm a sucker for bass guitar and that's mostly what I am talking about when I am talking about bass), the texture of the bass on the Arya is just incredible. However, when a track gets busy and the bass is not placed particularly high in the mix, bass lines that you can still follow on the Aeolus are often hard to pick out, or almost totally lost, on the Arya. (I don't listen to EDM. modern pop, or hip hop which I believe tend to have more sub bass than the music I generally listen to. Since the Arya's bass extends deeper than the Aeolus, bass in those genres may fare better. I am talking abut mid bass where the bass guitar primarily lives.)

I should note that this is only addressing sound quality--by far the most important issue. However, while I have been pleasantly surprised to find the build quality of the Arya Stealth to be more robust and premium (or at least not as non-premium other than the current shoebox packaging) as most reviewers do, and it is supremely comfortable, it simply can't compete with the special feeling you get when you put an Aeolus, like any ZMF, on your head since every surface you see or touch is aluminum, real leather, or gorgeously finished wood.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #9,375 of 11,884
Well, it's all subjective, isn't it? I've had the Arya Stealth for a couple of months and it's become my favorite headphone (and not by a small margin) even over my ZMF Aeolus. Imaging, separation and stage, in particular, are just wonderful. However, my one criticism of the Arya is that I find it bass light compared to the Aeolus and several of my other headphones. Now that is quantity only--I think the bass quality of the Arya is the best I've heard. When bass is prominent on a track (I'm a sucker for bass guitar and that's mostly what I am talking about when I am talking about bass), the texture of the bass on the Arya is just incredible. However, when a track gets busy and the bass is not placed particularly high in the mix, bass lines that you can still follow on the Aeolus are often hard to pick out, or almost totally lost, on the Arya. (I don't listen to EDM. modern pop, or hip hop which I believe tend to have more sub bass than the music I generally listen to. Since the Arya's bass extends deeper than the Aeolus, bass in those genres may fare better. I am talking abut mid bass where the bass guitar primarily lives.)

I should note that this is only addressing sound quality--by far the most important issue. However, while I have been pleasantly surprised to find the build quality of the Arya Stealth to be more robust and premium (or at least not as non-premium other than the current shoebox packaging) as most reviewers do, and it is supremely comfortable, it simply can't compete with the special feeling you get when you put an Aeolus, like any ZMF, on your head since every surface you see or touch is aluminum, real leather, or gorgeously finished wood.
I completely agree with you Marlowe, given I've got both the Arya and Aeolus.
I'm not sure I find the Arya lacking in the bass tho: I think it has plenty of bass on tracks that are mixed with a bass presence.
It's just Arya don't add to tracks that doesn't have it on its own.

The quality tho... it's just amazing, and the stage is so good and engaging (the Aeolus is pretty good too).
The Aeolus just has a nice mid bass bump that adds that bass hit and presence even on tracks that are mixed with less bass.

Have to say the ZMF experience is on another level: the build, the finish, the case, pad rolling, the serviceability, the feeling that it's all clear and easy to understand build-wise, the support... I think I'll just stick to zmf stuff for the future. People like Zach should really be supported, I can't believe what focal pulls on their customer.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back