HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Nov 30, 2022 at 4:17 PM Post #9,077 of 11,884
Hifiman offered me an open boxed HEK V2 to trade against my 3 month old Arya V3 + $700 incl. shipping.

Would you pull the trigger?
I'd think about it....if my amp has the right tonality and enough b*lls to drive them - that would rule out most IC based amps (the tonality part). They're significantly harder to drive compared to the Stealths and are closer to, if not harder to drive as the Arya V2s. .....

Nov 30, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #9,079 of 11,884
They're significantly harder to drive compared to the Stealths and are closer to, if not harder to drive as the Arya V2s. .....
Yeah, not only hard to drive but also picky with amp selection in order to get their best.

Dec 1, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #9,081 of 11,884
Dec 1, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #9,082 of 11,884
My Stack is a Topping D10B into Monolith THX 887. Is that a match with the HEK?
You could drive it with your setup for now - but don't expect the best timbre, naturalness, or soundstaging depth, as IC based amps like the '887 may have an unnatural timbre with the HEKv2 and are notorious for having flat staging with no depth. I say this as a former owner of both an '887 and an Arya V2 (which is closer to the HEKv2) - it was still better sounding and cheaper than the OG Topping A90 to me though (except for no preamp). I'd still look for an amp in the discrete Class A camp eventually, as my money and time permits. YMMV.......

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 9:35 AM Post #9,083 of 11,884
Then it shouldn't be the best idea to upgrade to HEK V2. I don't want to spend more money into a stack-upgrade as well. If my stack just increase the performance just a bit against the Arja, it seems to be senseless to put $700 in it.

Dec 4, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #9,086 of 11,884
Then it shouldn't be the best idea to upgrade to HEK V2. I don't want to spend more money into a stack-upgrade as well. If my stack just increase the performance just a bit against the Arja, it seems to be senseless to put $700 in it.
That totally depends on if you value the differences btwn the Arya or Stealth and the HEKv2 - and if it's worth maximizing the potential SQ of either one you choose......

Dec 4, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #9,089 of 11,884
I decided to upgrade. Want to have the warmer smoother sound and bigger soundstage. Hopefully don't regret.

I wouldn't expect the same type of housing and more or less the same FR to have a larger soundstage, but let us know what you think of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back