HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Oct 15, 2021 at 3:09 AM Post #5,432 of 11,881
I like the larger soundstage and with a little EQ got to a point where I am good.
Same here.. that top end sheen/plasticy/spicy top end is very well mitigated with eq on my chain (Ares2, Marantz). Add a bass shelf at 135khz, up the mids at 1.8khz tweak the peaks at 4.5khz, 8.5khz, and it's sublime. Soundstage and imaging of v2 remains spectacularly intact and i have my end game cans chugging out tunes all day long!!

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:01 AM Post #5,434 of 11,881
Check out Alon Mor - Low Sugar.
Try Dacoit Duel from AR Rehman

https://tidal.com/track/1745186

It's got every spectrum of the FR and varied instruments for eval. textures, timbre, tonality, scale, depth, resolution, imaging, dynamics.. one of my favorite test tracks.. planars have the right sense of speed and attack for this (Alternate track - Caravan from Whipash)

Sorry cudnt resist posting.. i know the post is for Aryas but these tracks make the HPs shine., so worth sharing!!

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #5,435 of 11,881
On my 1st listen without the 100hr burn in on the Pontus 2 already out classes the Ares 2 buy a 1000 miles a substantial upgrade also the Soloist 3x compliments the Pontus so well. Sound comparisons the Pontus 2 sounds more larger bigger more weight and instruments seemed to be locked down for more pinpoint accuracy more depth layers in the music the bass hits hard and tight. With the Nos mode on when I want to listen to softer easy listening music and OS mode for harder hitting music.

Listening to Sabrina Claudio - Tell Me (Acoustic) version : I can hear the reverb of the guitar strings plucks and drums longer and more detail in the mids the highs are well extended without ever hearing any sibalance. Female vocals sound warm sweet and inviting.

Since u have the Soloist 3x I would send the Ares 2 back and save alittle more for the Pontus 2. The Ares 2 is a excellent entry for Quality r2r DACs but as a Audiophile nut like me the lack of low end and loss of dynamics might want you craving more. What the Ares does well is excellent detail and instrument seperation more airy vocals and top end space between instruments beats out DACs like D90se , bitfrost 2, in that department also has a nice analogue sound. Just the Pontus 2 does everything better with additional information and Weight , clarity and slam.

Am using the Arya V2 we'll post my review thoughts about the V3 tomorrow when I receive it.
Based on your description the Ares matches my taste pretty well. Of course I wouldn't want a complete absence of low end, but I prioritise separation, airy vocals.
My Ares and Soloist both arrived yesterday. Exciting times!

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #5,436 of 11,881
Based on your description the Ares matches my taste pretty well. Of course I wouldn't want a complete absence of low end, but I prioritise separation, airy vocals.
My Ares and Soloist both arrived yesterday. Exciting times!
Select the OS and slow filter for best sound quality on the Ares2 you will love it

Oct 15, 2021 at 4:39 AM Post #5,437 of 11,881
Definitely a subjective thing and I do respect everyone's right to their own preferences and opinions. I think what threw me a little in his review (not to critique another reviewer - just sharing my perspective) is that I came away from it thinking he was saying that the V3 was a backward step overall - maybe I've taken it the wrong way and I do think I might have stopped the video early because I was likely interrupted by our little one.

The thing that stood out to me most about the V3 was that I felt like there was more space and separation between each sound even though the overall soundstage was smaller and that's definitely a preference for me. I found that the V2 treble got in the way of midrange clarity at times, but that can also come down to system synergies too and most of my comparisons were using the TT2 which is a little dry in the upper mids and might have influenced this a little.

Either way, both are excellent headphones - I just happen to lean towards the V3. :)
Having watched loads of your videos I'm looking forward to your stealth vs V2 comparison. But if you can please share (either here or in the vid if not recorded yet) some specific music examples of where you feel the V2 treble bleeds into the mids, (or it being plasticky or off in timbre - if you experience that too as it's a common complaint) it would be great to be able to hear those examples too and will be much appreciated. (Of course as you said the source chain will play a part but nothing beats first hand experience).

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 8:01 AM Post #5,438 of 11,881
Oct 15, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #5,439 of 11,881
We already have an Edition X with stealth magnets so you’re kind of right… 😅

https://hifigo.com/products/hifiman-edition-xs
Is that really an Edition X driver with Stealth Magnets?
For 360 bucks?

Edition X v2 Was quite nice at it's price of 1200. If that is essentially the same with different headband and Stealth magnets it's one hell of a deal O.o

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:39 AM Post #5,440 of 11,881
We already have an Edition X with stealth magnets so you’re kind of right… 😅

https://hifigo.com/products/hifiman-edition-xs

Wait.. this is crazy.. This thing has the same neo ultra-thin planar diaphram as the Arya ... and it uses the same "Stealth Magnets" as the Arya.. Different headband but same cup/shape/size etc... I wonder.. how close is this thing to sounding "as good" as the Arya? Could this be a similar performing but much cheaper product?

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #5,441 of 11,881
Is that really an Edition X driver with Stealth Magnets?
For 360 bucks?

Edition X v2 Was quite nice at it's price of 1200. If that is essentially the same with different headband and Stealth magnets it's one hell of a deal O.o
Yes but spec wise its more likely actually a Edition XX with stealth magnets Rebranded.

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #5,442 of 11,881
Yes but spec wise its more likely actually a Edition XX with stealth magnets Rebranded.

I'm not sure about that since it uses the diaphram material that's in their flagship models. Unless I'm missing something here.. the big "setback" is the crappy headband. I'm very curious to see some reviews of this thing once people start getting them in..

Oct 15, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #5,443 of 11,881
I'm not sure about that since it uses the diaphram material that's in their flagship models. Unless I'm missing something here.. the big "setback" is the crappy headband. I'm very curious to see some reviews of this thing once people start getting them in..
Edition XX used the same Neo-diaphragm, jack ports, shell & spec wise taking into account the change from the Arya to Stealth. Matches very well (or "better).

Edition XX 8Hz-50KHz, 20 Ohm, 93dB. (Normal Magnets) Both: 3.5mm jacks, Nano diaphragm.
Edition XS 8Hz-50kHz, 18 Ohm, 92dB. (Stealth Magnets) Both: 3.5mm jacks, Nano diaphragm.

Just for reference
Edition X 8Hz-50kHz, 25 Ohm, 103dB. Edition X V2 8Hz-50kHz, 25 Ohm, 103dB. 2.5mm jacks, Does not use Nano diaphragm. (V2 is a pad change & headband change)
Arya OG/V2 8Hz-65kHz, 35 Ohm, 90dB. Arya Stealth 8Hz-65kHz, 32 Ohm, 94dB.
I mean i could be wrong, time will tell, but if I was a betting man.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #5,444 of 11,881
Edition XX used the same Neo-diaphragm, jack ports, shell & spec wise taking into account the change from the Arya to Stealth. Matches very well (or "better).

Edition XX 8Hz-50KHz, 20 Ohm, 93dB. (Normal Magnets) Both: 3.5mm jacks, Nano diaphragm.
Edition XS 8Hz-50kHz, 18 Ohm, 92dB. (Stealth Magnets) Both: 3.5mm jacks, Nano diaphragm.

Just for reference
Edition X 8Hz-50kHz, 25 Ohm, 103dB. Edition X V2 8Hz-50kHz, 25 Ohm, 103dB. 2.5mm jacks, Does not use Nano diaphragm
Arya OG/V2 8Hz-65kHz, 35 Ohm, 90dB. Arya Stealth 8Hz-65kHz, 32 Ohm, 94dB.
I mean i could be wrong, time will tell, but if I was a betting man.
Interesting. Looks like the XS is still using the nano diaphragm - same as the Arya and now has updated magnets to stealth (same as the Arya). I'm still curious how close the performance will be to the Arya. I'm sure it won't be quite as good but the margin might be small if it's just due to some tuning changes.

Response 8hz-50khz vs 8hz-65khz - I don't think this will make too much difference other than showing that there are some technical differences (somewhere). I'm in the camp that believes we don't hear anything aboutside of 20hz-20khz (golden ears included) .. everything outside of that is just marketing. I know they say you can "feel it" .. yeah.. I don't really buy that either lol.

Oct 15, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #5,445 of 11,881
Interesting. Looks like the XS is still using the nano diaphragm - same as the Arya and now has updated magnets to stealth (same as the Arya). I'm still curious how close the performance will be to the Arya. I'm sure it won't be quite as good but the margin might be small if it's just due to some tuning changes.

Response 8hz-50khz vs 8hz-65khz - I don't think this will make too much difference other than showing that there are some technical differences (somewhere). I'm in the camp that believes we don't hear anything aboutside of 20hz-20khz (golden ears included) .. everything outside of that is just marketing. I know they say you can "feel it" .. yeah.. I don't really buy that either lol.
The Edition X's were to the HE1000 what the Ananda is to the Arya. But without the soundstage...... I guess that is really watering it down. I have the same hopes but expectations not as high.
1 review for the XS on Chinese seller site says it tames the Anandas throny highs. Which is interesting because they dont compare anything else so if the soundstage was much different, i'd of thought they would mention it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back