Hifi man 400i o2 odac combo clipping?
Oct 6, 2014 at 8:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

SantinoTaffy

New Head-Fier
Brand new opened one hour ago 400i and o2 odac combo. How come there is clipping/ distortion in certain instrument ranges? i am not cranking the music, and the mp3's aren't all bad... however most of my music is just clipping when some bass comes in, (ex corrine bailey rae "Closer") even some solo piano tracks Ahmad jamal "It's magic". My headphones should be able to handle this right? the gain 6v also creates even more clipping at the same volume.

Oct 6, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #3 of 7
The O2 clips on the input, but since it's the ODAC it shouldn't be a problem - I'd contact the manufacturer. Try the lower gain too and see if that fixes it. You're sure it's clipping you're hearing, and not just bad files? Can you try a high quality one like a 320 kbps MP3 or FLAC or WAV? Do you have any other sources you could test?

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 7
Will try some Flac files later today through Youtube to try and find clipping. and will try another computer. I'm not sure what you mean by input/output, There is a headphone input jack and another input on the right. What does that one do? 

Oct 7, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #6 of 7
YouTube compresses no matter what. You just need to make sure it's the ODAC/O2 causing problems, and not something else. Playing a CD or something would be a safe way to make sure it's not your mp3's. Ignore what I said about I/O. If it still clips after you've tried different files and the headphones from other sources, then you should look into getting your gear replaced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back