Help with parts for a META42
Jul 5, 2002 at 4:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

kheldar

100+ Head-Fier
I just got my board and buffers this week, and im still looking at parts to go on the board. My portable headphones are grado's, and the opamp im planning on is an ad8610 pair on a browndog (thanks Tangent!!)

im looking to get all my caps from partsconnexion, since they are canadian (like me) and have a good selection.

C1: im thinking of using a solen cap, or something similar. any thoughts on who makes the best cap for this position? i dont mind a big cap in here im probably going to mount it at the audio input. For values, im looking at a 1.0uf or 1.2uf, and a 500k resistor (i think that gives an f-3 of less then a hertz)

C2, C3: blackgate standards, 220uf/16v each... but im open to others that fit in the 10mm spots.. but i haven't seen any good ones...

C4: i have some 10uf tanalums in my box, but i'd rather use something a bit better then those if i can. are blackgate pk series fast enough to use in this position? i know, i should have gotten the wima's when i got the board... =)

Jul 9, 2002 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 2
I'm also building the META42 (for Etymotics ER-4S). I'm new at DIY, so I'm not sure how much my advice is worth. (The META42 will be my second DIY headphone amp.)

A Solen cap for C1 sounds like a good choice. I got the impression that Solens are good value caps. If you want something better, take a look at Auricap or Jensen (expensive).

For C2/C3 I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering Black gate NX 1000uF, 25V. These are 16mm x 24mm. These won't fit perfectly, but I'll only use two, so I have more space.

For C4 I got the 6.8uF, 50V Wimas. I'm not sure if I'll use these or if I'll go with Solen instead. I don't know which is better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back