Help with finding upgrade to WA22 2nd Gen
Sep 2, 2021 at 12:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

wilpower

100+ Head-Fier
Hello!

I've been using a WA22 Gen 2 with kenrad VT Blacks, takatsuki tube rectifier, tung sol 5998.

My stack is PC -> Ygg gen 5 -> Mcintosh C52 -> Wa22 -> Balanced headphone

I have a bunch of headphones, but mostly use the Z1R then the Utopia, Stellia, ZMF headphones.

I enjoy a immersive sound that is strong in the mids/bass, but not veiled in treble.

I asked woo and they recommended their eclipse. After breaking it in it pales in comparison to the wa22 setup I have.

Is there any amp setup I should consider for my desktop given my headphones and source?

I am not complaining about my current setup. In fact it could be what I use for years more to come, but I am just wondering if there is anything else out there.

Thanks!

Sep 2, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #2 of 8
Hello!

I've been using a WA22 Gen 2 with kenrad VT Blacks, takatsuki tube rectifier, tung sol 5998.

I have a bunch of headphones, but mostly use the Z1R then the Utopia, Stellia, ZMF headphones.

I enjoy a immersive sound that is strong in the mids/bass, but not veiled in treble.

I asked woo and they recommended their eclipse. After breaking it in it pales in comparison to the wa22 setup I have.

Is there any amp setup I should consider for my desktop given my headphones and source?

I am not complaining about my current setup. In fact it could be what I use for years more to come, but I am just wondering if there is anything else out there.

Thanks!
Did woo say anything about their wa5?

Or is that outside of the planned budget?

Sep 2, 2021 at 1:24 AM Post #4 of 8
The “standard” progression used to be wa2 (if you started with a high impedance hp) - wa22 (for a broader range of hps) - wa5 (for serious full mids)

The utopias, I believe are supposed to sound exceptional with the wa5 and upgraded tubes (ouch $$)

There is also this old chart from a number of years ago that sets out some of their amps:

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...1059475471/wooaudio_amplifier_comparisons.pdf

Sep 2, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Hello!

Thanks!
Kinda sketch that they'd recommend their portable amp as an upgrade over their full size offering despite knowing you already owned one of their higher end offering.

I've owned a wa2 and tried the wa22, wa6se and wa5 extensively quite a few years ago. As good as the woo were, they pale in comparison to DNA and Eddie Current especially with dynamic drivers headphones. Sadly EC is winding down it's operation but you might wanna drop them a mail to see if they are still making the Studio B. It's probably the best amp I've owned and heard so far and works fantastically well with my zmf and senns.

I also own a Starlett and it frankly beats any woo I've heard with my headphones granted this is prior to the gen2 and wa33. Either of these is an upgrade to my ears to the wa22. If you are willing to spend a bit more I'd recommend going for the Stellaris. Also the wa33 I've not heard it but ears I trust said its the best amp woo has produced thus far so it might be worth testing out.

Sep 2, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 8
If you used the term "desktop" when communicating with Woo that may have been the reason why they recommended the Eclipse. If you have all that equipment you must have a big desktop! The WA5 is a good amp and can sound great with modest tube upgrades. I used the Sophia Princess upgrade tubes for several years with great success. I listened briefly to a DNA and EC amp years ago and did not find them superior to my WA5 I used at the same time. Remember a WA5 is a two piece 60lb monster of an amp if "desktop" is what you really meant. I find the Yggy to be very dry and technical. The WA5's warm and tubey nature would take the edge off the Yggy necessary for my ears.

Sep 3, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #7 of 8
If you used the term "desktop" when communicating with Woo that may have been the reason why they recommended the Eclipse. If you have all that equipment you must have a big desktop! The WA5 is a good amp and can sound great with modest tube upgrades. I used the Sophia Princess upgrade tubes for several years with great success. I listened briefly to a DNA and EC amp years ago and did not find them superior to my WA5 I used at the same time. Remember a WA5 is a two piece 60lb monster of an amp if "desktop" is what you really meant. I find the Yggy to be very dry and technical. The WA5's warm and tubey nature would take the edge off the Yggy necessary for my ears.
Goes to show how different we all hear things. Briefly tried the yggdrasil but never once thought it sounded dry. Your preference for wa5 is the reason I prefer dna and ec amps. I find it can be too warm and smooth for my taste so it comes down to preference. All competent amps just voiced different.

Sep 3, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #8 of 8
Thanks,

Ya I have a larger desktop, but I run a stack of audio equipment on a symposium osirus tower to the left of my desk (powers bookshelf speakers on my desk).

I like to run my headphone amplifier underneath my large wall mounted monitor, right now that is the Wa22, and I have plenty of room to spare on the desk.

I told Woo that finances were not a barrier but they told me eclipse would work with my headphones and have the signature I am looking for. The amp is great its just not close to the Wa22.

I'lll try looking into the EC / Starlett. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back