Help with BlueSound Node/QUTEST settings 🙈
Oct 23, 2022 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Stu Clark

New Head-Fier
Hello there,

I’m sorry to ask but I thought this would be the best place to ask for help as I know the focus here will be solely on sound quality…….

I have connected the Node to the Qutest via the COAX on the Node & using the BNC on the QUTEST in order to bypass the internal DAC on the Node.

But……. I obviously want to get the best quality & also from MQA.

In your opinion’s should I alter the settings or should I leave them because the device should be automatically playing at the best resolution without unfolding the file?

I remember seeing some advice online that states “Disable Tone Controls—Disable Replay Gain—Enable Iutput Level Fixed—Enable MQA External DAC”

However I am concerned that I may be then tampering with the quality of ‘non MQA’ files? I have no idea really.

Attached is a pic of my current settings.

If anybody could throw some pointers I would be grateful! Oh, I also set my Node volume to High so I am not using much range on my amp as it has a dial (Accuphase).

I hope this was clear 🙈.

Attachments

• D08ED0BA-EC5D-4B77-ACE4-10C15DA5B733.png
    D08ED0BA-EC5D-4B77-ACE4-10C15DA5B733.png
    937 KB · Views: 0
Oct 23, 2022 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 6
I have connected the Node to the Qutest via the COAX on the Node & using the BNC on the QUTEST in order to bypass the internal DAC on the Node.

But……. I obviously want to get the best quality & also from MQA.

In your opinion’s should I alter the settings or should I leave them because the device should be automatically playing at the best resolution without unfolding the file?

I remember seeing some advice online that states “Disable Tone Controls—Disable Replay Gain—Enable Iutput Level Fixed—Enable MQA External DAC”

However I am concerned that I may be then tampering with the quality of ‘non MQA’ files? I have no idea really.

Attached is a pic of my current settings.

If anybody could throw some pointers I would be grateful! Oh, I also set my Node volume to High so I am not using much range on my amp as it has a dial (Accuphase).
If you want to get the most out of MQA you probably need a DAC that supports it. I have yet to encounter a device that passes on fully unfolded MQA digitally, probably a licensing thing, or it might have to do with the filter requirements that are part of the MQA approach, which can only happen correctly if the DAC is aware that its getting fed MQA content. The Chord Cutest doesn't support MQA, so MQA External DAC is the wrong approach, the Node would pass on the higher sample rate content, encoded with lossy compression as high frequency noise, to the downstream DAC, which would treat it like a signal (therefore turning it into noise) instead of properly unfolding it. With MQA external DAC set to off the Node most likely does at least the first unfolding (say from 48 to 96 kHz), just like the Tidal app would, but the last unfolding to 192 kHz wouldn't happen either - I suspect - and the Chord wouldn't apply the MQA proposed output filter, even if the MQA file has 96 kHz or less.
Without an MQA capable DAC you're probably better off using Qobuz or Amazon Music HD (which the Node is uniquely suited for, adjusting the sample rate based on the song played, unlike the Amazon app).

But the setting should only affect the treatment of MQA material, non MQA content should get passed on as is either way. A DAC with MQA support would probably be able to tell you whether it's receiving an MQA signal or not.

I agree with the other three proposals, that's what I've set my Node 2i to as well (no tone controls, no replay gain, fixed output level on). Its digital outputs are bit-perfect this way. Generally speaking its best to run DACs at full volume and have one volume control somewhere in the chain, but in some cases that may not leave enough control or it may be super inconvenient, so one may have to compromise there. There are also line level attenuators that could reduce the output signal of a DAC in an analog way by a fixed amount, which may be superior to using a digital volume control, but it all depends on the components involved and how well they are implemented (and by how much you lower the volume digitally - the less, the better). If you can't hear a difference, choose whatever works best for you.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #3 of 6
If you want to get the most out of MQA you probably need a DAC that supports it. I have yet to encounter a device that passes on fully unfolded MQA digitally, probably a licensing thing, or it might have to do with the filter requirements that are part of the MQA approach, which can only happen correctly if the DAC is aware that its getting fed MQA content. The Chord Cutest doesn't support MQA, so MQA External DAC is the wrong approach, the Node would pass on the higher sample rate content, encoded with lossy compression as high frequency noise, to the downstream DAC, which would treat it like a signal (therefore turning it into noise) instead of properly unfolding it. With MQA external DAC set to off the Node most likely does at least the first unfolding (say from 48 to 96 kHz), just like the Tidal app would, but the last unfolding to 192 kHz wouldn't happen either - I suspect - and the Chord wouldn't apply the MQA proposed output filter, even if the MQA file has 96 kHz or less.
Without an MQA capable DAC you're probably better off using Qobuz or Amazon Music HD (which the Node is uniquely suited for, adjusting the sample rate based on the song played, unlike the Amazon app).

But the setting should only affect the treatment of MQA material, non MQA content should get passed on as is either way. A DAC with MQA support would probably be able to tell you whether it's receiving an MQA signal or not.

I agree with the other three proposals, that's what I've set my Node 2i to as well (no tone controls, no replay gain, fixed output level on). Its digital outputs are bit-perfect this way. Generally speaking its best to run DACs at full volume and have one volume control somewhere in the chain, but in some cases that may not leave enough control or it may be super inconvenient, so one may have to compromise there. There are also line level attenuators that could reduce the output signal of a DAC in an analog way by a fixed amount, which may be superior to using a digital volume control, but it all depends on the components involved and how well they are implemented (and by how much you lower the volume digitally - the less, the better). If you can't hear a difference, choose whatever works best for you.
Thank you very much for this concise explanation!!!!

Indeed it seems the Node handles MQA but not Qutest 🤷‍♂️. I hope this is a step that can be included as an upgrade in the future if it is ‘software’ rather than ‘Hardware’ but I guess we will see.

To be honest the MQA recordings themselves must be very good because the quality is extremely good, the reason I asked is that the MQA files play at a lower volume so I have to turn up & down when switching between MQA & CD.

I really like Tidal, I will give Qobuz another go but the catalog just isn’t as vast. But I will give it a go!

As it turns out it seems MQA has created a major spanner in the works lol. There is enough confusion in this rabbit hole as it is 😂.

Thank you again……

Stu

Oct 23, 2022 at 8:21 PM Post #4 of 6
Thank you very much for this concise explanation!!!!

Indeed it seems the Node handles MQA but not Qutest 🤷‍♂️. I hope this is a step that can be included as an upgrade in the future if it is ‘software’ rather than ‘Hardware’ but I guess we will see.
It's all software, and I doubt it'll change. When iFi released their MQA firmware, the micro iDSD suddenly didn't as a USB to Coax converter anymore. Funny how that works, eh?

To be honest the MQA recordings themselves must be very good because the quality is extremely good, the reason I asked is that the MQA files play at a lower volume so I have to turn up & down when switching between MQA & CD.
Interesting, even for the same track? On Spotify the volume can vary wildly depending on the recording quality, there's the typical loudness wars compression and more audiophile productions that make use of the whole dynamic range.

I really like Tidal, I will give Qobuz another go but the catalog just isn’t as vast. But I will give it a go!
I agree, tried and abandoned Qobuz twice for that reason. Amazon Music has a much bigger catalog, but the app refusing to set the sample rate correctly irritates me greatly. Basically I'd only use it through a streamer, and lacking something akin to Spotify Connect or Tidal Connect that isn't a particularly great user experience.

Oct 23, 2022 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 6
It's all software, and I doubt it'll change. When iFi released their MQA firmware, the micro iDSD suddenly didn't as a USB to Coax converter anymore. Funny how that works, eh?

Interesting, even for the same track? On Spotify the volume can vary wildly depending on the recording quality, there's the typical loudness wars compression and more audiophile productions that make use of the whole dynamic range.

I agree, tried and abandoned Qobuz twice for that reason. Amazon Music has a much bigger catalog, but the app refusing to set the sample rate correctly irritates me greatly. Basically I'd only use it through a streamer, and lacking something akin to Spotify Connect or Tidal Connect that isn't a particularly great user experience.
Oh isn’t it just, I went for the Qutest for the reviews but also the fact that rather than a standard DAC chip they developed & use a Custom FPGA chip, so, I would assume they will utilise the potential of that chip as it is so customisable 🤷‍♂️, my thought process was that it can cope with so much more than the usual firmware upgrades etc, again we shall see lol. The sound I have to admit is outstanding.

Yeah the volume thing is odd, they have Meatloaf’s Bat Out Of Hell 1977 album in both MQA & CD & the volume drops drastically down when switching to the MQA. However when I select the track playing on the CD album it tells me it’s playing in MQA, maybe it automatically switched due to my subscription 🤷‍♂️. Although the MQA song (quieter) shows as Darker Green on the Qutest there for a higher resolution than the CD one which is the louder one but between the green & yellow (lime green) lol.

I feel your pain, I’m ditching the numbers & just go by the sound of the recording 😂, the whole thing is driving me mad. I may get a CD transport & have a ‘special’ collection so the whole number & colour thing won’t wind me up! Lol.

I can’t fault the sound though. & the added bonus is that going for the Accuphase I did & having the Qutest I now have a superb solution for my B&W P9 & PX7’s, although the PX7’s I tend to use ‘out & about’ with the Apple camera adapter & Dragonfly cobalt, which interesting DOES handle the MQA 😂😂 I think 🥴.

A mine field indeed.

Oct 23, 2022 at 9:08 PM Post #6 of 6
Oh isn’t it just, I went for the Qutest for the reviews but also the fact that rather than a standard DAC chip they developed & use a Custom FPGA chip, so, I would assume they will utilise the potential of that chip as it is so customisable 🤷‍♂️, my thought process was that it can cope with so much more than the usual firmware upgrades etc, again we shall see lol. The sound I have to admit is outstanding.
Oh, fair point, if Chord somehow decides to support MQA, I suppose they could make it happen (I thought you were wondering about the Node supporting full MQA decoding on its digital outputs).
But Rob Watts is quite fond of his own filters, so I have my doubts he'll let MQA ruin that. The aversion to MQA has grown strong enough that some manufacturers release versions of their DAC with and without MQA support for those who want to avoid it, even the ESS DAC chips come in such two versions now (though I'd expect the MQA version to just have more features and a higher price while still supporting non-MQA content just as well). Tidal should ditch MQA and use lossless hi-res, in my opinion, or at least allow a tier with that in addition to the MQA stuff.

Yeah the volume thing is odd, they have Meatloaf’s Bat Out Of Hell 1977 album in both MQA & CD & the volume drops drastically down when switching to the MQA. However when I select the track playing on the CD album it tells me it’s playing in MQA, maybe it automatically switched due to my subscription 🤷‍♂️. Although the MQA song (quieter) shows as Darker Green on the Qutest there for a higher resolution than the CD one which is the louder one but between the green & yellow (lime green) lol.
Funny business. Could be remastering and other things. Amazon has some albums where most tracks are in 192 kHz, but some in 96 kHz and Spotify seems to borrow from other releases for a more complete catalog, i.e. the mastering you get might not match what you get elsewhere for the same title, year and cover art. Messy!

I feel your pain, I’m ditching the numbers & just go by the sound of the recording 😂, the whole thing is driving me mad.
That's appropriate. Some of the hi-res Deftones songs I have sound worse. And occasionally the hi-res stuff is just upsampled, without any additional content (harmonics, recorded noise, ...) in the higher frequencies that you'd expect from a proper hi-res recording.

I may get a CD transport & have a ‘special’ collection so the whole number & colour thing won’t wind me up! Lol.
I'm perfectly content with ripping CDs to FLAC and letting the Node 2i play them from an attached USB stick, hehe.

I can’t fault the sound though. & the added bonus is that going for the Accuphase I did & having the Qutest I now have a superb solution for my B&W P9 & PX7’s, although the PX7’s I tend to use ‘out & about’ with the Apple camera adapter & Dragonfly cobalt, which interesting DOES handle the MQA 😂😂 I think 🥴.

A mine field indeed.
Yeah. Everything matters, but not equally. I'm somewhat sensitive to extra resampling in the chain, but transducers matter the most, and the wrong amp can ruin everything a good DAC does right, so...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back