Help with amp/sound card
Nov 24, 2014 at 4:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Night Waddle

New Head-Fier
A pair of AKG K712s were gifted to me and I've read a bit about people talking about having to use amps or sound cards to power their headphones. I understand these are rated at 62 Ohms impedance, but I'm not sure what I would need. I'll be using these for gaming and listening music with. I saw recommendations on another thread about getting a Sound Blaster Z. Can anybody please explain all of these to me or link me to somewhere that will explain some of this? Thanks!

Nov 24, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #2 of 8
A pair of AKG K712s were gifted to me and I've read a bit about people talking about having to use amps or sound cards to power their headphones. I understand these are rated at 62 Ohms impedance, but I'm not sure what I would need. I'll be using these for gaming and listening music with. I saw recommendations on another thread about getting a Sound Blaster Z. Can anybody please explain all of these to me or link me to somewhere that will explain some of this? Thanks!

The SB-Z is about as cheap ($60-$80) as you would want to go for driving the K712s.
Asus Xonar essence STX (used, $130) has a better DAC chip and headphone amplifier, then the SB-Z.
I would assume others would like you to spend $198 + tax + shipping for a Schiit Modi DAC and Magni headphone amplifier.
How much could you budget for hardware for driving the K712?

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for the info! I'm really new to all this amping business - I never even knew people amped headphones until last year!

I'd preferably spend the least money possible (who doesn't want to save money?), seeing that I spend most of my time gaming so it seems higher end stuff would be put to waste.

How exactly does a sound card drive headphones? The sound card probably comes with software - how do I choose to amp headphones from there? Sorry about these stupid questions.

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks for the info! I'm really new to all this amping business - I never even knew people amped headphones until last year!

I'd preferably spend the least money possible (who doesn't want to save money?), seeing that I spend most of my time gaming so it seems higher end stuff would be put to waste.

How exactly does a sound card drive headphones? The sound card probably comes with software - how do I choose to amp headphones from there? Sorry about these stupid questions.

I like "stupid" questions, they are usually the easiest to answer
rolleyes.gif

Assuming your into FPS gaming, you would want to get a sound card with decent headphone surround sound.
The SB-Z comes with SBX headphone surround sound.
You could get for the SB-Z for now ($60-$80) and later on invest in an external DAC/amp (headphone amplifier), $200-$300, that could be connected optically to the SB-Z.
As the SB-Z can send processed headphone surround sound thru it's S/PDIF optical port.
Adding an external DAC/amp will not improve gaming, but it will make the games sound better, unless your too busy gaming to really notice the difference.

The Asus Xonar Essence STX (used, $130) sound card comes with Dolby Headphone surround sound.
and a better DAC chip and headphone amplifier, then the SB-Z.

Nov 24, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 8
I also saw one of your replies to another thread where you talk about velour pads on your SR-850 - I own a pair and have been thinking about getting velour pads. Which ones did you get? I heard the DT770 velour ones should fit so I was going to get a black pair once they got back in stock.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #7 of 8
I also saw one of your replies to another thread where you talk about velour pads on your SR-850 - I own a pair and have been thinking about getting velour pads. Which ones did you get? I heard the DT770 velour ones should fit so I was going to get a black pair once they got back in stock.

I was lucky enough to get AKG 240/241/270/271 Velour ear pads from Europe for about $25 a pair, normal USA price is $46.
But there are no-name velour ear pads sold on eBay for around $12-$16.
Anything Velour ear pads that fits the AKG 240/241/270/271 or Superlux HD681. HD668B and of course the SR850s, will be the same size ear pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back