Help with a recievers broken power supply.
Sep 19, 2012 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

John In Cali

500+ Head-Fier
So my Pioneer M-5000 died the other day and I'd like to fix it. Working fine one hour and when I try to turn it back on it sputters and dies after a second(literally).  Opened it up and try the obvious and take a look at the fuses, all look perfectly fine but I replaced them with the same type anyways. I went ahead a took my multimeter to try to find where things have gone wrong.
Here is a picture of the entire amp insides.

The ac signal was fine up until the red circled point and never gets to the transformer so i'm assuming the problem is with the power circuit between that. 
The yellow circled part has two wires which lead to a device connected to the front power switch which I have two pictures of here:

Putting my multimeter on the two wires circled in yellow I get the same voltage as when I test the wires in red.  But as soon as I hit turn the power switch the voltage dies down to nothing with in a second. And yes I know when I am sure that the voltage is there when OFF and goes away when I push the switch ON.
I see a quick spark in the transparent box pictured below when I turn the amp on. 

And here is a picture of that part of the amplifiers schematic which I downloaded online.

If you guys can provide any help or clues that would be great. I can provide more pictures and test things with my multimeter if you ask.
Edit: forgot to mention that when I hit the power button it still puts out that little pop sound to my speakers, and also turns on a fan for a second.(the amplifier uses a two fans in the amp sections, you can them in the first picure.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back