help with a macbook setup
Dec 16, 2014 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

liquidlotus

New Head-Fier
I currently own some TMA-1 Ghostly Edition headphones and was wondering if I could do anything to add to my sound experience. I enjoy these headphones and have a friend who suggested a tube amp but I don't know much about sound. So my question would be what can I do to add to my sound experience using these headphones and my macbook as the source. I am fine with buying new equipment but it would have to be around 300 dollars or so.

ps: I listen to a wide range of music but would like the option to have deeper bass when I'm in the mood for it.

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 6
The info I found says those headphones have an impedance of 34 Ohms and a sensitivity of 103 dB/mW. So, because their impedance is fairly low, you do need to be a little careful to get an amp with a low enough output impedance, or you might get some hiss on the headphones. Most people want to add a tube amp because: 1) they are looking for a warmer sound from their headphones; 2) They look cool. So - do you think your headphones are a bit too bright and may need some warmth? Personally, I recommend a first-timer to get a nice solid-state amp or USB DAC/amp that will provide a modest improvement in the sound without needing to worry about things like output impedance, tube ringing or dealing with the heat put out by the tubes.

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #3 of 6
I don't know anything about tubes personally, I was just told I should get one. I will admit though they are quite beautiful.

As far as your suggestion, I'm cool with a usb DAC or SS. How do I calculate the compatibility between a headset an amp? and based on your experience and what you know about these headphones what kind of usb DAC or SS should I pair them with? I'm a big fan of aesthetics and minimalism so if it looks nice that helps too :) I'd like the most amount of sound variation for the lowest cost. Due to me not being a seasoned audiophile I don't want to drop good cash on something I am not able to notice.

Thanks for the quick reply. 

Dec 16, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #4 of 6
The Schiit Magni (amp) Modi (dac) also known as the (M/M combo) $200.00.
SS amp and you can get the Modi (dac) with either USB/Optical output.
And I understand Schiit is coming out (or may even be out) with this combo in its 2nd edition.  And if the 2nd edition is already out, you may find  the first edition NOS (New Old Stock) for even less than $200.00…go to the Schiit Audio site and check them out! A lot of time Amazon has NOS left, so if your interested check their site also.
I been using the M/M combo with my MBP for a couple of years now and love it.
Oh, and they stack on top of each other and look great!!!

Dec 16, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks allot man, I just checked the site and the second edition does seem to be out, I like the way it looks allot and will deff consider it. I want to be able to compare a few before I make a decision but these are most certainly sexy. As far as the variation in sound, how does it sound in comparison to its absence? 

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 6
  Thanks allot man, I just checked the site and the second edition does seem to be out, I like the way it looks allot and will deff consider it. I want to be able to compare a few before I make a decision but these are most certainly sexy. As far as the variation in sound, how does it sound in comparison to its absence? 

It sounds much better than the HP output on the MBP.
The Magni is a very good little SS amp, as is the Modi fora $100.00 D/A converter.
Well, well worth the sound/performance, you won't be disappointed.
A lot of people also like the Fiio products, which I've never heard, but they are highly regarded also…maybe someone can chime in who has experience with both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back