HELP: Sony SCD-C222ES or Music Hall CD25 or NAD C541i
Feb 26, 2003 at 8:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Uncledan

Headphoneus Supremus
After few days of search, I think I will get one of the following CDplayer: Sony SCD-C222ES, Music Hall CD25 or NAD C541i

All of the above player will cost me about the same, (NAD C541i will cost me around $40 dollars more compare with other) The only different is Sony play can play SACD and the other two can play HDCD. Which model player should I get??
Based on my knowledge, HDCD is 2 bits more then the normal CD, but SACD is multi-channel, is that mean SACD will sound better then HDCD? <=(since I had no experience on HDCD or SACD, it is what I guess!)

The reason I change my source b/c I want to try the next level of sound quailty of my system, I don't care the player is HDCD or SACD, as long as it sound good, I will go for it.

Feb 26, 2003 at 10:07 PM Post #3 of 10
I would be quite tempted to go with the Philips, but I like my Music Hall a lot. Jude liked the Music Hall better than the NAD C541i in his preliminary impressions, so I would eliminate the NAD, but that's up to you. I'm almost positive that the Philips will sound better than the 222 for both SACD and redbook, so I would eliminate the 222 unless you really want a changer.

As far as Music Hall versus Philips goes, redbook seems to be a bit of a toss-up from the very little I have read, and since the Philips has SACD, I would probably go with the Philips if I were re-buying my source right now, but I'm content to stick with the Music Hall until I can afford to spend $1K+ on a source.

Feb 26, 2003 at 10:44 PM Post #4 of 10
I dont think you should rule out the c541i based soley on Jude's preliminary reviews. There really isnt much out there comparing the musichall cd25 and the c541i, so its really hard to pinpoint which is better. The 2 seem to be the most popular mid/low budget cdp right now... A good comparison of the two would be very beneficial. But dont rule the NAD out! Ive seen quite a few threads with people wanting one or the other and the Nad usually seems to be the one they end up with.

I agree about the sony. Although ive never heard that particular model, i do know that cd changers generally are lacking in musical quality and obviously thats not what you want.

The phillips is getting majorly high regards here as well... Defenitly want to check it out. Unless you can hear them all and make your decision, its basicly a toss up. You can bet you are safe buying one of these 3 cdp's though. As they are all regarded as very good players. Good luck!

Feb 26, 2003 at 10:56 PM Post #5 of 10
Since I am running so late with my reviews, let me try to be of some help, for whatever it's worth.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd take the Music Hall MMF CD-25. It conveys a little more detail, and gives a fuller headstage. The MMF CD-25's biggest negative points all have to do with ergonomic issues -- off-angle viewing of the porthole display is poor, the display also doesn't convey as much information as the NAD or CD72T. I haven't seen the new Music Hall remote, which is supposed to be a huge improvement over the one I used (the new one has been shipping for quite some time now, so I wouldn't worry too much about this issue) -- the old one was bad. But, since sonics come first with me, the MMF CD-25 would be my recommendation between the two, but also consider that it retails for $100 more than the NAD. Don't get me wrong, the NAD really is a nice sub-$500 player, but, in direct comparison, it does give up some detail to the Music Hall unit.

Again, I apologize for the tardiness of my reviews....they will be coming (the DAC2 / MSB review will come before the CD players, though). If you have any other questions, I'll try my best to answer them.

Feb 27, 2003 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 10
I dont have any experience with the players you have mentioned except the Sony '222ES. I bought this player because I needed a new CD player and i wanted to see what all the fuss was about SACD. Previously I have owned or extensively used a Pioneer PD-65 and ALL of the California Audio Labs players made since the early '90's

The SCD-222ES is the first CD changer I have ever owned. I am using it with Wright Sound tube gear and home built PI speakers. The sound from the Sony is not exceptional but it is not offensive either. There is an emphasis on dynamics and detail rather than ultimate musicality like the limeys strive for. I would have to say that I'm pretty happy with it even though I tend to be a pretty critical SOB.

I bought mine from Oade Bros for $325. DAMN! Thats less than I have ever paid for a CD player! And its pretty good to boot! You could always get it modded from Stan Warren or one of those other guys if you want make it better...

SACD is the digital future... or at least the BRIDGE to the digital future....

crazychile

Mar 5, 2003 at 3:00 PM Post #8 of 10
So uncledan what did you get and how do you like it?

Mar 6, 2003 at 6:06 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Uncledan
Finally, I plan to get Philips DVD 963SA, since it is on sale at J&R. However, I still saving my penny for it. I may get it next month.

What's J&R's price? (The price is not listed on their website).

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back