[HELP] Small room and workspace setup!
Oct 24, 2012 at 12:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

abcdefghijason

New Head-Fier
Hello, so i'm looking for a small desktop setup for my uni room. I have been reading around, and doing some research and tried my level best to audition some of the equipment live. Also, i'm relatively new when it comes to bookshelf speakers, and such combos(however do know some basics to how they work etc). 

So the main requirement here is, i have very limited space in my room, and i live with my sister in some townhouses which are relatively near to neighbours, so i'm contemplating on getting some bookshelf speakers that wouldn't allow me to listen in the middle of the night. Essentially, what i'm looking for are the best near field setup as possible. 

So currently, i'm looking into the Bowers & Wilkins MM-1, i have had a slight audition with them at Harvey Norman, and was blown away by their clarity in their mids and highs, i am also indeed aware of the lack of bass response from these 2.0 desktop speakers. 

I do indeed listen to a very wide range of music, that ranges from Kpop to house music, EDM, classical, jazz, rock and such. I am very convinced i'll be enjoying the speakers whilst listening to some classical work by Itzhak Perlman, and beautiful voices from Norah Jones, Sara Bareilles, Renee Olsted. However i'm afraid the lack of bass response on contemporary pop, house music would trouble me. 

I've done some research and have found out that on the macbook pro, through the MIDI setting, we can setup a multiple device and have a standalone subwoofer from the audio 3mm output from the macbook to the subwoofer, whilst having the MM-1 from the USB output. However, through this setup, my common sense is telling me that since the MM-1s are coming out from the USB and through a built in DAC, i'm afraid there would be a small latency between the subwoofer and MM-1s, i may be completely wrong in this, and would love someone to clarify this. The other issue is that, i was wondering if there is a way to EQ the lows away from the MM-1 and "transfer" it fully to the subwoofer, or would both be playing the lows, which i do not know if it'll end up being a good thing or a bad thing (probably bad). 

So to break it down, the main reason i chose the MM-1 over some bookshelf speakers, or something like the Audioengine A2, is essentially because of the size, size definitely plays a big role in this. And also considering the levels i could play over the speakers, these has to be as near field as possible. 

I am definitely open to all suggestions, i have yet to set a budget, but probably within the range of 1000AUD. And considering the issue on not being able to play too loud, and if the subwoofer option will work, what subwoofer will work best? A small size ones, that can play the lows extremely well, punchy, controlled? 

Do give me any suggestions at all, the B&W MM-1s is just from my sole early stage of research. But from all the well seasons experienced pros here, what would be the best setup for my situation? 

Sorry for the lengthy post, i'm trying my level best to offer as much information as possible. 

Thanks in advance!

-JT

Oct 24, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #2 of 6
I know this seems off topic by a lot but I think you should get headphones. Reason is that your sister deserves to have silence when she needs it and you deserve to listen to ur music. If you get headphones, both of you will be happy.

Oct 24, 2012 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 6
i have indeed considered upgrading my headphones, in fact it's still in consideration. I have a beats Studio (it's a leaving my home country gift, so don't start flaming me) and they're considered one of the most comfortable headphones (again i may be wrong). And i've realised, after long hours of listening i tend to always want to take them off, it isn't exactly "uncomfortable" but i often find myself taking them off, and at times i'd rather use the laptop speaker for music. It may be completely because of the bass heavy headphones that causes this? i honestly do not know, like i said everything is still in consideration, and i'm at a very early stage of researching, i'd love everyone's input in this.

Oct 25, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #5 of 6
headphones and speakers are like apples and oranges. personally, I'd choose speakers over headphone for listening to music any day.

headphones have their advantages. for example: you can listen to music at any time without disturbing anyone. you don't need to find a proper placement, you put them on your head, and that's it. I'm sure there're more.

the Beats Studio aren't real quality headphones, imo. with your budget you could get a proper high quality, audiophile headphones.

Oct 25, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #6 of 6
I always have trouble imagining that the MM1s could provide a satisfying music listening experience with those tiny drivers. Seems more about style than function. 

Have you considered setups like the Denon DM39? Already designed with a subwoofer output. Here it is also paired with various other speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back