Help setting up E-MU 0404
Mar 10, 2009 at 11:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

heidalloon

New Head-Fier
My 0404 arrived today and I'm trying to set it up. I've already installed what was on the CD and my computer is detecting it, but I'm having difficulty in winamp. I have my output set to ASIO, but there is constant crackling and the audio sounds distorted. Also, my drivers are up to date. Anyone know what the problem could be?

Mar 11, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #2 of 17
I've noticed that when I go into the control panel and into Digital Output Properties, when I try to test the sample rates and encoded formats under the supported formats tab, it says Windows was unable to play the test tone.

I tried reinstalling the drivers, but that didn't help at all.

Mar 11, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by heidalloon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My 0404 arrived today and I'm trying to set it up. I've already installed what was on the CD and my computer is detecting it, but I'm having difficulty in winamp. I have my output set to ASIO, but there is constant crackling and the audio sounds distorted. Also, my drivers are up to date. Anyone know what the problem could be?

set asio output to asio emu0404 not aiso4all

Mar 11, 2009 at 10:15 PM Post #5 of 17
ASIO4all crackles and pops with the EMU 0202 as well. Use the ASIO driver that came with EMU. Also, laptops seems to have more trouble with pops and crackles compared to desktops. Try and turn off DSP's and EQ's as last resort, if nothign works, then stick to Direct sound.

Mar 12, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, laptops seems to have more trouble with pops and crackles compared to desktops.

Indeed. I've had problems on a Thinkpad T30 and a Dell Inspiron... and recently I picked up an Acer Aspire One netbook. I had some clicks there as well, when I maximized or minimized windows.

I was poking around on (ironically enough) M-Audio's site, and found a a suggestion to disable video acceleration. Sure enough, that eliminated the clicks.

As it is, though, I'm only likely to use the laptop/0404 combo for recording rather than playback - once I decide on a pair of mics. For playback, I use a desktop, and it has no problems whatsoever.

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:52 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by .Sup /img/forum/go_quote.gif
set asio output to asio emu0404 not aiso4all

I already had it set to that. My problem is less about ASIO and more about the fact that I don't think my 0404 is set up properly. Like I said before, Windows always says it fails to play a tone when I'm trying to test the sample rates, and now I just can't get any sound out of it at all.

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #8 of 17
Is it set to 44.1khz? Right spdif setting? If I recall correctly that's about the only thing you can change...
The USB cable is not damaged?

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by heidalloon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already had it set to that. My problem is less about ASIO and more about the fact that I don't think my 0404 is set up properly. Like I said before, Windows always says it fails to play a tone when I'm trying to test the sample rates, and now I just can't get any sound out of it at all.

What driver do you use? I never installed the one supplied on the cd, I downloaded it from official site. It works great for me. Also try plugging it in a different usb slot.

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:32 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is it set to 44.1khz? Right spdif setting? If I recall correctly that's about the only thing you can change...
The USB cable is not damaged?

It's set to 44.1khz and I'm pretty sure it's the right SPDIf setting. I don't think the USB cable is damaged, either.

Mar 13, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

What driver do you use? I never installed the one supplied on the cd, I downloaded it from official site. It works great for me. Also try plugging it in a different usb slot.

I used the one from the CD first, but then I also uninstalled that one and tried the one from the site.

Mar 14, 2009 at 1:52 AM Post #13 of 17
I don't think he is... I just named the settings of the control panel.

another pair of random thoughts:
Does it work with another program (MediaPlayer?) What are the specs of your PC? Have you uninstalled your previous soundcard?

Mar 14, 2009 at 2:43 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

So you using spdif out? what about the analog outs? How do they work?

I'm pretty new to this, so I'm going to need some information on where I can find these settings. The SPDIF Output Format setting in the EMU 0404 Control Panel is set to SPDIF.

Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think he is... I just named the settings of the control panel.

another pair of random thoughts:
Does it work with another program (MediaPlayer?) What are the specs of your PC? Have you uninstalled your previous soundcard?

I've tried it with Foobar and it didn't work. I also can't here any sound at all when playing videos in my browser. I disabled my previous soundcard.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiiteepee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you mean 0404 USB then I suggest :

- DPC Latency Checker
- latest drivers from E-MU site (allow firmware upgrade as well when asked)
- check sync source settings (int/ext)

jiitee

DPC Latency Checker says everything is fine. I have the latest drivers and my sync source is set to internal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back