[HELP/Recommendations] Audio Interface/Mixer for improving mic quality using 3.5mm input? (Mod Mic 4)
Feb 7, 2015 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Thugsheep

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

Looking forward to becoming a part of the community!

I've read a lot of great information on here about audio setups which has allowed me to grasp onto the basics. My concern now is having a suitable microphone setup for streaming games and voice overs. I've decided to go with the Mod Mic 4 as opposed to the condenser type mics (e.g. AT2020) simply because I'm really tight for space and couldn't afford the extra room for a decent stand; an important piece when considering voice isolation (reduce background noise).

Taking all this into consideration, are there any audio interfaces or mixers which a 3.5 mm mic could benefit from when looking at sound quality? I've listened to various reviews of the Mod Mic 4 and there does seem to be a spectrum in quality which leads me to believe there are other factors in-play.

Research has led me to this USB mixer:

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/302USB.aspx[1]

It has a 3.5 mm input designed for use with headsets-- would this improve the sound quality coming from a Mod Mic 4 or any 3.5 mm input mic?

TL;DR: Any audio interfaces/mixers that could improve sound from Mod Mic 4 (3.5mm input)?

Apr 12, 2015 at 10:53 PM Post #2 of 2
I own the mod-mic 4.0 and I know it requires voltage into the mic capsule. (Not sure how that works, but someone on here might be able to explain it.), Pro audio mixers don't usually have voltage coming out the mic inputs (except phantom power, which will either fry your mic capsule, or just not work).

If you just doing game voice overs, what's wrong with just using the soundcard in your computer to inject into your stream? Then again, not sure exactly how your set-up is designed.

Full disclosure, I've never tried the Modmic 4.0 with a mixer, but it's technical requirements in terms of power couldn't be that different from that of the mic on my Roccat Kulo's which I tried in conjunction with a Mackie ProFX12 and 1604-VLZ3, both of which failed to receive a signal from the mic on the Kulo's with/without Phantom power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back