HELP! Polarity of caps in cmoy-powersupply
Aug 18, 2001 at 2:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

wab

500+ Head-Fier
I am actually building my cmoy! But I can't figure out what's + and - on the electrlytic caps in the powersupply.
The caps are black and on one side it looks like this:

attachment.php

Would that side be the - ?
thanks!
wab

Aug 18, 2001 at 3:30 PM Post #4 of 6
thanks for the fast quick replies!

oh btw. I think foil type capacitors (I bought some MKC's) are not 'directional' like the electrlytic, is that correct?

Aug 18, 2001 at 3:38 PM Post #5 of 6
I like to orient non polarized caps in the same direction

i.e lettering in same direction for both the L and R channels

some caps have a band at on end which is the end of the cap connected to the actual foil , this should go to the end of the circuit with the lowest ground potential

the OTHER Rick

Aug 19, 2001 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 6
Hello,

There are some film caps with polarity markings. This type will work without correctly connecting the poles. However, manufactures suggest following:

"Connect the outer most film layer to the [headphone jack] and the other to the amplifier output."

Often times this makes very little or no difference since may caps are encasilated with very good insulation layers. However, there are some caps which direction do matter. Those caps are marked with polarities. Sometimes these have exposed outer layer making it extremely dangerous if you use these in tube amps and connect the outer layer to the tube output which tend to be high voltage.

Tomo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back