[HELP] Network Streamers and Media Player
Apr 25, 2024 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

beingmrdev

New Head-Fier
Hi! I'm quite new to audiophile community. Recently, I've planned to build my audiophile setup for which I've arranged Marantz PM 6007 integrated amp and decent bookshelf stereos from ELAC.

My biggest issue is streaming. I've 1 TB of FLAC/ALAC music on my homeserver which I access via Plexamp. When I looked for network streamers in my budget, I couldn't find one supporting Plex automatically. I looked for the following two:
i. Wiim Pro
ii. ifi zen network streamer

I've also came to know plex doesn't support UPnP. What alternatives/suggestions can you provide me which can help to make my music library easily accessible to me. I'm also concerned about SQ alongwith ease to access.

TIA!

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi! I'm quite new to audiophile community. Recently, I've planned to build my audiophile setup for which I've arranged Marantz PM 6007 integrated amp and decent bookshelf stereos from ELAC.

My biggest issue is streaming. I've 1 TB of FLAC/ALAC music on my homeserver which I access via Plexamp. When I looked for network streamers in my budget, I couldn't find one supporting Plex automatically. I looked for the following two:
i. Wiim Pro
ii. ifi zen network streamer

I've also came to know plex doesn't support UPnP. What alternatives/suggestions can you provide me which can help to make my music library easily accessible to me. I'm also concerned about SQ alongwith ease to access.

TIA!
I am a plexamp user and i switched to Roon because i noticed the DSD recording weren't flagging as DSD on my DAC. I don't know if i could tell an audible difference, but the additional utility of having Roon running in my house has been really nice so overall i'm happy with the switch. I do still use plexamp on my android phone though because Roon Arc is aggressive at controlling hardware on my phone and i found it annoying.

Apr 25, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #3 of 6
I am a plexamp user and i switched to Roon because i noticed the DSD recording weren't flagging as DSD on my DAC. I don't know if i could tell an audible difference, but the additional utility of having Roon running in my house has been really nice so overall i'm happy with the switch. I do still use plexamp on my android phone though because Roon Arc is aggressive at controlling hardware on my phone and i found it annoying.
Hi. Thanks for your input. I've bought Plex Lifetime pass just few months ago. The idea of paying another 14 bucks for the roon just for the music seems very depressing to me xD But I'll definitely try this out if no options are left.

Apr 25, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #4 of 6
Hi. Thanks for your input. I've bought Plex Lifetime pass just few months ago. The idea of paying another 14 bucks for the roon just for the music seems very depressing to me xD But I'll definitely try this out if no options are left.
Ah yeah, i've had Plex Lifetime since they launched as an option and primarily use it for movies/tv. So the cost is so sunk for me it's in the mariana trench. Plexamp ends up being just a fun bonus.

Apr 26, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #6 of 6
I'm using Plex on the Fiio R7 streamer, as it allows for PlexAmp to be installed directly on it. Not sure if there are other Android based streamers out there that will allow for the same option. But to me, it is super convenient, and I enjoy it a lot.
Native PlexAmp build into streamers is still in the early days, unfortunately. Audiolab has one, as well as Lumin, but both are (to me) extremely expensive options. And while the R7 is not cheap at all, it's still much more manageable to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back