HELP NEEDED: EMU 0404 + Headphones
Jan 6, 2005 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Alf

100+ Head-Fier
I cannot believe I missed it from the specs. I just installed my brand new EMU 0404 and realised that I cannot connect my headphones (HD590). EMU 0404 has two mono outputs while my headphones have a stereo jack.

I looked on Internet for an adapter but could not find anything 100% suitable. What would be the best and easiest way to connect these two beasts?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I already feel sorry about my wallet.

Jan 6, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alf
I cannot believe I missed it from the specs. I just installed my brand new EMU 0404 and realised that I cannot connect my headphones (HD590). EMU 0404 has two mono outputs while my headphones have a stereo jack.

I looked on Internet for an adapter but could not find anything 100% suitable. What would be the best and easiest way to connect these two beasts?

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. I already feel sorry about my wallet.

yep they just have a line out, not a headphone out. you'll have to get a 1/4 to rca adapter for each mono line out channel, then get a normal rca cable to go to a receiver with a headphone out, or make the cable terminate into whatever you have that has a headphone out - even a cmoy headphone amp.

So end of story - you need a headphone amp now. rut ro.

Jan 6, 2005 at 9:49 PM Post #3 of 12
emu0404conectors6nk.jpg

There you go
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #4 of 12
Jan 6, 2005 at 10:06 PM Post #5 of 12
By the way, your local maplin is here:

126 Dalry Road, Edinburgh. EH11 2EZ

Tel: 0131 313 5551
Fax: 0131 313 1811

Opening hours:
Mon to Fri 9.00am to 8.00pm Sat:9.00am-6.00pm Sun: 11.00am to 5.00pm.

And if you can't find it:
edinburgh.jpg

Jan 6, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 12
To connect the 1/4" outputs of my 1212m to my headphones took a couple adapters. With an amp it would be easier.

Anyways, in each output i have a mini->1/4" adapter plugged in. Attached to these mono mini connectors I have a stereo mini->2 mono mini adapter. Attached to the stereo mini connection I have the included 1/4"->mini adapter that came with my HD650s, and that's of course attached to my headphones.

In other words, it goes headphone's stereo 1/4"->stereo mini->2 mono mini->2 mono 1/4"->1212m.

Uh...yeah. It's a bit silly, requiring 4 adapters and 3 extra linkages to hook up my headphones to my soundcard than if i could just plug it in. Luckily my amp, when finished, will have balanced 1/4" inputs, which will make matters WAY easier.
eggosmile.gif

Jan 6, 2005 at 10:09 PM Post #7 of 12
i think this is the most helpful responsive thread ever. pictures. diagrams. maps. graphical analysis of noise floor. my rambling answers. amazing.

Jan 6, 2005 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 12
All that's left to do for the guy is to pay for his adaptors
smily_headphones1.gif
Or maybe give him a wash :p

Jan 6, 2005 at 10:26 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by individual6891
Looks like you're in edinburgh.

Best quick easy option is this:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ldID=3&doy=6m1
from your local maplin
Order Code (CN75S)

Or bigear's option of using 1/4 -> phono sockets (for amping)
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...ldID=3&doy=6m1
Order Code (KW36P - Gold Plated) or (RW01B - Plastic)

Thanks a lot guys!!!! You are saving me from misery. So the easiest option is found - a headphone splitter from Maplin. I also found an alternative:

Lynx 3.5mm stereo socket to 2 x 6.3mm mono jack plugs
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/d2/pag...4dcdfe5657354c

Now another question: how bad this easiest solution is going to be? I noticed no mentioning of gold or something similar in the decription. What should I go for:
* a simple metal adapter
* or a chain of gold (Mono jack -> RCA -> stereo jack)

Jan 6, 2005 at 10:31 PM Post #10 of 12
well the biggest problem is that you are using the soundcard's amp to power your cans, versus its original purpose, which is as a line-out. as a result, with impedance and current and all those fun things, you might have some damage occurring...from what i've read. best to be safe and get even a 40 dollar cmoy headphone amp and use that to power your cans, over plugging your cans directly into your card.

Jan 6, 2005 at 10:38 PM Post #11 of 12
It's preferable to have an amp. But he's got low imp HD590s. Of course an amp would help, but is optional.

Edit:
Quote:

* a simple metal adapter
* or a chain of gold (Mono jack -> RCA -> stereo jack)

The first option's probably better. If you're going the gold plated way, you're going to have to use 3 adaptors, which would reduce the effect of having gold plating in the first place. Just use the standard maplin adaptors, unless you want to hunt elsewhere (probably imported) for gold plated 1/4mono->3.5mm adaptors!

Jan 8, 2005 at 12:24 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by individual6891
Just use the standard maplin adaptors, unless you want to hunt elsewhere (probably imported) for gold plated 1/4mono->3.5mm adaptors!

I bought the adapter today. So far so good. Everything works flawlessly. By the way, the new card is great. I should have bought it long time ago.

I would like to thank everybody for their input. I really appreciate your help, guys.

Cheers!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back