Help needed, choosing headset for Xbox One
Oct 23, 2014 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

MaltedMilkhouse

New Head-Fier
Hey all, first time poster and hoping to gain some advice and knowledge as mine when it comes to headsets is quite limited.

I've recently bought an Xbox One, previously on the 360 I used an old pair of Sony headphones(mdrxd-100) that I only paid about $60 aud for around 7 years ago, while cheap and the sound not particularly rich, they were fantastic for directional sound in fps games, the problem being they had no mic. So if I wanted to chat I used the extremely basic one ear 360 headset.

When purchasing the Xbox One I thought a headphone upgrade was in order and in particular something with a mic, so I just grabbed the Xbone Stereo headset, unfortunately for me they aren't what I was hoping for or expecting, the sound is too bassy, and they are absolutely terrible for directional sound(despite what the sales clerk said at the time), and it really surprised me that my old cheap sony's which weren't even made for gaming did a better job.

So I'm looking for recommendations on a headset with mic that will do a really good job of hearing the direction of sounds and footsteps for fps games and is comfortable.I don't care what they look like, what brand they are, wired or wireless, bluetooth etc that is not important to me.

I'm hoping to spend under $250 australian dollars, I have asked this on an aussie tech site(whirlpool) that I enjoy posting on, but it proved to be a bit of a groupthink re headsets, with basically everyone recommending px4's, I've heard enough to look at buying them, but thought I would try here for hopefully a more informed and broader view.

Cheers.

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 6
get the V moda boompro mic and beyerdynamic Custom one pro. the v moda boompro mic connects to any headphone that uses a 3.5mm connector for detachable cables

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #3 of 6
get the V moda boompro mic and beyerdynamic Custom one pro. the v moda boompro mic connects to any headphone that uses a 3.5mm connector for detachable cables

Thanks for your advice and both items certainly look good, unfortunately to get them here in OZ it would cost around $325 inc shipping, as I mentioned in my op I'm trying to keep it under $250.

I can't justify spending almost as much on a headset as I did on the console itself.

Not looking for best in it's class just something that is good for directional sound/footsteps, perhaps you know of a cheaper option?

Oct 23, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks for your advice and both items certainly look good, unfortunately to get them here in OZ it would cost around $325 inc shipping, as I mentioned in my op I'm trying to keep it under $250.

I can't justify spending almost as much on a headset as I did on the console itself.

Not looking for best in it's class just something that is good for directional sound/footsteps, perhaps you know of a cheaper option?

Pick up the mic he suggested and find yourself a more affordable pair of headphones that's compatible.

Oct 24, 2014 at 12:25 AM Post #5 of 6

Astro Mix-amp and Sennheiser HD558 headphones.
Maybe find them each used, at a good price.

nice replacement cable ($18-$26) for the HD558, comes with a 3.5mm jack.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&var=560313338477&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So do you live in one of the hot places in Oz or one of the really really hot places in Oz?

Oct 24, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 6
Pick up the mic he suggested and find yourself a more affordable pair of headphones that's compatible.

Firstly the mic is not that important to me, as stated I'm after specific recommendations, headset brands/models etc. Saying well just find a more affordable pair, really gives me nothing, given my lack of knowledge re headsets.

Astro Mix-amp and Sennheiser HD558 headphones.
Maybe find them each used, at a good price.

nice replacement cable ($18-$26) for the HD558, comes with a 3.5mm jack.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261255113290?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&var=560313338477&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

So do you live in one of the hot places in Oz or one of the really really hot places in Oz?

Yeah I had a look, that sort of setup new is going to be over $400 for me to get here. As for used, I'd rather not, and that just means wasting heaps of time trawling the net for a bargain which I may never find anyway.

I'd like something that's all in one, having to ship 2-3 different items, from different sellers, from potentially different countries just seems like a stuff around, and more costly than need be.

As for the weather, I'm in Melbourne so I only get the odd hot day in summer, it's a good place to live, unless you're trying to source high grade headsets haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back