HELP! My D-25S skips... (Sort of...)
Jan 6, 2003 at 4:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Habib

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have a slight problem with my D-25S. Overal it's great. Very clean sound. However, it skips at the end of certain discs. Usually they are the last songs and these discs have no scratches. It doesn't happen to all discs just some. Anyone experiencing the same issue? Anything I can do to fix it?

Jan 6, 2003 at 4:35 AM Post #2 of 10
I assume it's new, and from Silicon Salvage. If both of these assumptions are true, call them up and have them send you another to replace the defective one. A fair number of them have been defective in exactly the manner you describe (I had two out of four with that problem!).

Jan 6, 2003 at 4:37 AM Post #3 of 10
Actually, I've had it over a little over 1 month now. I didn't realize the problem at first because I don't have that much CDs. As I listen to more and more, either borrowed or bought, the problem becomes more appearant. I guess I will give them a call...

Jan 6, 2003 at 7:26 AM Post #4 of 10
First try to get a new player from SS, if that does not work and the problem gets worst you can try to lubricate the rails of the laser assembly and then set the last song on repeat for a day or so for the lube to distribute evenly...

Your problem is very common for a player that have been in storage for a long time, sometimes they do not play the first song or the last one….I think it is because the gears are sticky and the ends of the rails dry…just for now, set the last song on repeat and let it play for a while, that may help…

I hope this helps..

Jan 6, 2003 at 12:48 PM Post #5 of 10
Are the discs that skip longer in length? One thing about older transports is they don't deal as well with CD's that push the limits of available space. The skipping near the end is usually how the problem shows itself. If this is the case then I don't think getting a new D25S would solve the problem. It's just something you'll have to live with. FWIW though, I have a D25S and haven't noticed this. Hold on, maybe I have. The Cure Disintegration is a really long CD and I'm sure it skips on mine near the end. I always thought there was just a scratch or something. I'll have to test this later.

Jan 6, 2003 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 10
The problems with two of mine were apparent at all sorts of random but always repeated locations on certain discs (including pristine new CDs and CD-R copies of the same CDs). If you search the archives, you'll find a number of reports of this problem.

Jan 6, 2003 at 8:27 PM Post #7 of 10
I am really not sure if the CDs are longer. I have no problem with this disc that had almost 20 songs on it... By setting the last track on repeat, would that damage the player? Since the player will be skipping continuously? Do I have to open up the player in order to lube it? Or I can try it without lubing?

Jan 7, 2003 at 12:54 AM Post #8 of 10
Use one of the cds that usually do not skip and play the last song on repeat..it should help the end of the reails to get clean and move the sticky lube (if any) out of the way

To properly lubricate or clean the laser assembly you will have to open the player..

There are many reasons why a player can act like yours; I am only guessing it is because the oil, but it cold be the motor, the tracking, etc …

Good luck

Jan 13, 2003 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 10
I sent them an email explaining my situation. Couple days later (I live in the bay area), I received another unit from them! I think I definitely bought the player from them for more than 30 days but they sent me a replacement anyways. All I can say is WOW!

Jan 14, 2003 at 12:29 AM Post #10 of 10
i've had three from SS. sent one on to my brother (not that he deserved it). all three were cranky for a bit, but eventually with continued use don't skip a beat anymore. i use the one at the office 3-4 hours/ week. the one at home 2-3 hours/day. i did open them up to scrape out some encrusted white grease. lubed to guide rod, just a drop. and used a photo air can, very carefully, to blow out the pick up. i read, maybe on this group, that it doesn't take much dust to mess up the mirror under the lens.

robert

Users who are viewing this thread

Back