[Help!] More volume on the right channel than left
Jul 28, 2008 at 4:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

unshavenyak

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I recently purchased a new set of speakers to go along with my Trends TA-10.

After wiring everything and connecting it to my Mac Mini, I noticed that the right channel is louder than the left!

I've ruled out the source as the problem as the same thing occurs if I connect my D2 to the system.

Is there anyway to determine if the problem lies with my amp, cabling or the speakers?

On a side note, I also noticed that there is an audible hiss when connected to the Mac Mini that is not present when I connect it to the D2. Any thoughts?

Jul 28, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by unshavenyak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all,

After wiring everything and connecting it to my Mac Mini, I noticed that the right channel is louder than the left!

Is there anyway to determine if the problem lies with my amp, cabling or the speakers?

On a side note, I also noticed that there is an audible hiss when connected to the Mac Mini that is not present when I connect it to the D2. Any thoughts?

Record some music in Mono and use it for testing

1) Swap the cables to the speakers (at the speaker end only) send the right channel to the left speaker- is the left speaker now louder ?, if so it is not the speakers(go to 2). If the right is still louder it is the speakers.

2) Swap the speaker cables over completely, use the one now on the left channel for the one on the right channel. Is the left speaker now louder ? if so it is the cables. If not then it is the channel in the amp

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 5
Thanks for the feedback. I followed your suggestions and first I ruled out the speakers. I had a friend bring over their bookshelf speakers and the same thing happens when their speakers are connected.

So, next I tried swapping the wires. I detached the left one and made it the right one and vice-versa. The left speaker did not get louder. Now I was fearing the worst.

As a last ditch effort, I connected my Sonic Impact T-Amp into the system. The problem still persists! My left channel is still more quiet than the right.

It's gotta be the speakers. I'm going to go to Home Depot tomorrow and get some new 12 AWG wiring and see if it fixes it.

However, can anyone think of anything else off-hand that I might be missing?

Jul 29, 2008 at 2:36 AM Post #4 of 5
Update: Tore some wiring out of an old set of dead Logitech's and I've confirmed it is indeed the wires. Yaaaaaaay!
biggrin.gif
Thanks for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back