help me fix a sports walkman radio
Aug 26, 2002 at 7:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dngl

He'd rather show hisbuns than wear fur.
On my Walkman sports radio, the Sony SRF-M70, the headphone jack often has a connection problem. I have to really wiggle the miniplug around to make good contact, and then it often loses the contact few seconds later. It used to work fine, and the sportapros work with any other miniplug. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Aug 26, 2002 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 7
Those connections are very difficult to fix. Reasons? Too small! If you want to have someone fix this, try Dr Feng's fixup.net, a site dedicated to laptop computers and small SONY FM radios.

Xin Feng, Ph.D, in Davis, CA, is an expert in SONY FM radio mods (SRF-49, SRF-59). I'm sure Dr Feng can fix your radio for a small fee. I would ask him if the SRF-M70 can be modified for better sound. At the moment, Dr Feng does not have the SRF-M70 in his list of modified radios. However, do ask him. Maybe he can do some mods to it. Highly recommended!

Here's Dr Feng's site...
http://www.fixup.net

Here's Dr Feng's SONY FM radio section...
http://www.fixup.net/tips/pktradio/pktradio.htm

BTW, I'm glad Fixup has an obsession for modifying small SONY FM radios. I have learned quite a bit from him.

Thanks, Fixup!

Aug 27, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #3 of 7
My E75 had that problem with the 2nd jack, the one without remote functions.

After opening it up and looking at the jack under a microscope I saw that the solder joint had broken. With a plug in the jack I just wiggled it a little and saw the broken joint. Probably from the size and stiffness of the plug on my Grado SR60. I carry the MD player in my front pocket and do alot of sitting and standing.

But fixing it was easy. I just took a small tipped soldering iron and remelted the solder joints. All in all it took about 15 min. including rounding up all the tools, jeweler's screwdriver and soldering iron, from a few different rooms here at work.

So anyone with an intermittent jack on a portable that IS out of warranty open it up and take a look! If it's too scary you can always put the covers back on without trying to repair it.

Aug 29, 2002 at 6:47 PM Post #6 of 7
heheh, yes i tried cleaning it with deoxit first
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back