Help me find an AMP (I have 0 experience with them)
Aug 26, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #32 of 41
I personally believe sound quality depends on the the source(files interface DAC), the AMP and power supply and cables depend how well the headphone can perform in a favorable way. I just find the pa2v2 suits the sound signature of sr80. However I no longer enjoy them anymore lol

Aug 26, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #33 of 41
Another vote for the Grados haha.

That's because they sound "more exciting." Most people tend to think it's just some sort of magic, but really it's mostly the sensitivity and partly the relatively smoother response or the upper bass hump vs cheap, high sensitivity headphones. Basically, since Grados have such a high sensitivity, unless you're having impedance issues (like plugging these into some speaker amplifiers' headphone output), the amp or portable player isn't going to struggle driving them. That means anything with decent power output will be even farther from distortion, clipping, and noise, and even a good enough smartphone can get them louder than, say, a 300ohm HD600 that requires a bit more voltage.

Aug 26, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #34 of 41
I hate to be a dissenter, but is the PA2V2 still competitive? I got one way back in the mid-aughts and assume that it's since been surpassed in its price class.
I only had 2 sub $100 entry level amps and tried less than 10, then I moved to sub $500 amp. Love to know any new sub$100 amp that is warm, liquid, and smooth as the Cmoy and PA2V2.

Aug 26, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #35 of 41
That's because they sound "more exciting." Most people tend to think it's just some sort of magic, but really it's mostly the sensitivity and partly the relatively smoother response or the upper bass hump vs cheap, high sensitivity headphones. Basically, since Grados have such a high sensitivity, unless you're having impedance issues (like plugging these into some speaker amplifiers' headphone output), the amp or portable player isn't going to struggle driving them. That means anything with decent power output will be even farther from distortion, clipping, and noise, and even a good enough smartphone can get them louder than, say, a 300ohm HD600 that requires a bit more voltage.
Would you like to drive the high sensitivity 32ohm grado gs2000e or 36ohm akg812 or 80ohm Utopia with a portable player tho.

Aug 26, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #36 of 41

You guys are doing a good job of selling me on the Grados lol.

Aug 26, 2017 at 8:25 PM Post #37 of 41
Nothing wrong with Grados at all if your ready for the highs. Most of them are a bit hot on the high side but are great for rock if you don't mind the bright sound signature I don't.

Aug 26, 2017 at 8:36 PM Post #38 of 41
Nothing wrong with Grados at all if your ready for the highs. Most of them are a bit hot on the high side but are great for rock if you don't mind the bright sound signature I don't.

I'm definitely ready for the highs haha. I'm just worried about bass being too weak on them. Like when I sit down and listen to The Allman Brothers, I want to hear some Berry Oakley. How do bass drums sound on them? Like if I wanted to listen to something like Between the Buried and Me, are the double bass drums going to sound good on these? And I'm definitely not looking for something that is going to beat me to death with bass, I just want to make sure it exists lol.

The reason I'm considering the L2's is because of the build quality advantage over the Grados.

Which of the two do you guys think is the more versatile headphone?

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 9:58 AM Post #39 of 41
I'm definitely ready for the highs haha. I'm just worried about bass being too weak on them. Like when I sit down and listen to The Allman Brothers, I want to hear some Berry Oakley. How do bass drums sound on them? Like if I wanted to listen to something like Between the Buried and Me, are the double bass drums going to sound good on these? And I'm definitely not looking for something that is going to beat me to death with bass, I just want to make sure it exists lol.

Compared to something like an HE400, the bass drum would be a bit louder on Grados and feel more "up front," but tonally (as well as spatially) it won't sound as deep.

The reason I'm considering the L2's is because of the build quality advantage over the Grados.

Just note that the problem with Philips is that while the build quality looks OK now, spare parts for when you do break anything will be a problem. They don't even stock earpads. if third party pads like Brainwavz HM5s don't fit you're gonna have to start DIY-ing to mount something onto it.

It's kind of like the difference between the build quality of a Saab, which is closed now, vs a Nissan, where the latter would have even its Calsonic A/C parts practically everywhere.

Which of the two do you guys think is the more versatile headphone?

Sound wise the SR80e might have a slight edge for more people. Include ergonomics and the L2 would have the advantage. It'll hinge on whether you'd prefer something that you think might fall apart but easy to disassemble and find parts for (or heck, even fabricate, if you buy wood cups for example) or something you think won't fall apart but past the warranty (or any failure not covered by warranty) will leave you hanging.

Would you like to drive the high sensitivity 32ohm grado gs2000e or 36ohm akg812 or 80ohm Utopia with a portable player tho.

I've tried Grados with the X3II and X5. SR80i, SR80e, SR125e, SR225i, SR225e, SR325is, RS2i, RS1e, PS550, PS1000, and GS1000. All worked fine.

As for AKG I'd double check the sensitivity ratings. AKG has a tendency to market their headphones using the efficiency figures because they're higher numerically but marking it as sensitivity.

Haven't tried the Utopia yet.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #40 of 41
Compared to something like an HE400, the bass drum would be a bit louder on Grados and feel more "up front," but tonally (as well as spatially) it won't sound as deep.

Just note that the problem with Philips is that while the build quality looks OK now, spare parts for when you do break anything will be a problem. They don't even stock earpads. if third party pads like Brainwavz HM5s don't fit you're gonna have to start DIY-ing to mount something onto it.

It's kind of like the difference between the build quality of a Saab, which is closed now, vs a Nissan, where the latter would have even its Calsonic A/C parts practically everywhere.

I love the comparison. You have no idea how bad I've always wanted a turbo charged Saab :yum:

I've never really had any problems from my cheaper headphones other than the cables shorting out. I do tend to baby my electronics and audio equipment. Even my crappy skullcrushers that I've had for years are still doing ok lol.

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2017 at 1:43 PM Post #41 of 41

Sound wise the SR80e might have a slight edge for more people. Include ergonomics and the L2 would have the advantage. It'll hinge on whether you'd prefer something that you think might fall apart but easy to disassemble and find parts for (or heck, even fabricate, if you buy wood cups for example) or something you think won't fall apart but past the warranty (or any failure not covered by warranty) will leave you hanging.

I've tried Grados with the X3II and X5. SR80i, SR80e, SR125e, SR225i, SR225e, SR325is, RS2i, RS1e, PS550, PS1000, and GS1000. All worked fine.

As for AKG I'd double check the sensitivity ratings. AKG has a tendency to market their headphones using the efficiency figures because they're higher numerically but marking it as sensitivity.

Haven't tried the Utopia yet.

I decided to end up going with the L2's, Ordered them off Amazon a few minutes ago. Build and versatility is what ended up selling them to me.

I will say this, Grados are probably going to be my next purchase sometime down the line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back