Help me choose my first amp for the K702
Nov 16, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #32 of 50
The current crop of LCDs have Fazor,which have been met with a very mixed response,to say the least...supposedly they have less bass extension but more sparkle....AKA as HE-500!...except the 500s have better slam than even my pre-fazor LCDs...You can no longer buy either pre-fazor LCDs nor HE-500s new as both have been discontinued.

The difference between the two isnt night vs. day and either would be a nice contrast to the K702s,but I would take 500s in almost every situation.

Good to know about the newer LCD-2's...the $699 was tempting when I first saw it but that takes away the reason I'd get them.

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #33 of 50
  The Amp with the most recommendations I've seen for the K70x series is the Matrix M-Stage series.

Ventace,

I researched and tried to go for the Matrix M-Stage at first.  Unfortunately they were difficult to obtain from what I found... unless ebaying from China is your thing and I didn't want to do that.

I ended up getting the iCan SE +  Schiit Modi 2 Multibit.  The iCan SE has an Xbass switch with 2 different settings which I really like.

Nov 17, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #34 of 50
monsterzero,

I've done some reading up on the HE-500 and watched the YouTube review by Z Reviews.  Any idea why they were discontinued?  I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on one on eBay right now.  Sells for $475 and seems to be in very good condition as physical wear is concerned.  I just don't know how I feel about buying used headphones...   I suppose I don't have to worry about burning them in.  Thinking of replacing the velour pads they come with with the Alpha Pads and most people recommend replacing the ****ty stock cable.  And that way I wouldn't have to deal with the dude-sweat from previous owners.

Would I be able to power them properly with the iCan SE + Modi 2 Multibit?  Would I have headroom? 

Thanks!

Nov 17, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #35 of 50
  monsterzero,

I've done some reading up on the HE-500 and watched the YouTube review by Z Reviews.  Any idea why they were discontinued?  I'm really tempted to pull the trigger on one on eBay right now.  Sells for $475 and seems to be in very good condition as physical wear is concerned.  I just don't know how I feel about buying used headphones...   I suppose I don't have to worry about burning them in.  Thinking of replacing the velour pads they come with with the Alpha Pads and most people recommend replacing the ****ty stock cable.  And that way I wouldn't have to deal with the dude-sweat from previous owners.

Would I be able to power them properly with the iCan SE + Modi 2 Multibit?  Would I have headroom? 

Thanks!

There are also a couple pair for sale on this site,and personally i trust fellow HeadFi-ers more than some dude on Ebay,but to each their own.

I am not familiar with your amp...I do know theyre not the easiest headphone to drive in my collection...not as hard as the HE-6,but not easy either,perhaps you can locate your amp's thread and ask over there?

FWIW...every headphone in my signature Ive gotten either in a trade or bought used from fellow head-fiers...no problems(knock on wood)

EDIT: except for my late production AKG K240sextett...got that off of Ebay from a guy with immaculate feedback...got them for a very good price,but he failed to mention to me they had been re-cabled,and the solder job isnt the best...have to wiggle the pin to get it to work out of both sides :frowning2:

EDIT 2:they discontinued the 500s to release the HE-560,which was supposed to be a new and improved HE-500,but from everything Ive read(havent heard them)theyre not much like the 500s at all...theyre more audiophile-ish,and less fun than the 500,but again thats just from reading comparisons,and not first hand experience..

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #36 of 50
Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with eBay.  I actually checked the 2 that are being sold on this site and one of them appears to be the same person that's selling them on eBay also.  The same exact text.  Asking price is $40 less though.  Hmhhh...

On another note...  most YouTube reviews say the HE 500 is not for bassheads.  If the iCan SE can add considerable bass to my K702s, I wonder what it'll do to these... 

Nov 17, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #37 of 50
  Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with eBay.  I actually checked the 2 that are being sold on this site and one of them appears to be the same person that's selling them on eBay also.  The same exact text.  Asking price is $40 less though.  Hmhhh...

On another note...  most YouTube reviews say the HE 500 is not for bassheads.  If the iCan SE can add considerable bass to my K702s, I wonder what it'll do to these... 

yeah its gonna be cheaper here cuz Headfi doesnt take a % like Ebay does....

My Sansui 881 has a loudness button(which i never use)that essentially boosts bass+treble...with that loudness button I can make any headphone sound thumping,just understand when you artificially boost one frequency,another(s) will suffer.

Headphones have one driver reproducing all frequencies,whereas a home speaker can have several speakers,each doing a specific region of the sound spectrum.

I will agree HE-500s arent basshead cans,but compared to the K702 they will sound much more bassy...again if you want richter-scale type bass buy an SZ2000,just understand it is truly awful for anything other than bass.

EDIT: to be clear there are certainly other headphone options for bass that lie between the HE-500 and SZ2000,each with their own good and bad points...Fostex headphones are known for their bass,and apparently arent nearly as crappy in other regions like the 2000s are,but ....

1 ive never heard one and i dont like to recommend stuff ive never owned or demo'd extensively
2.closed back headphones generally have better bass slam than open backs,usually at the cost of the mids(my personal fav/must have trait for headphones)and soundstage.
3. Of all the headphones ive owned the HE-500 is the best balance for mids+bass+non fatiguing highs IMO

Nov 18, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #38 of 50
monsterzero,

I was looking at the Fostex TH-900 but at $1,000 it is a bit outside of what I am willing to spend right now wit the Holidays coming up.  Funny enough, just this morning I saw a site offering these at an 80% off early Black Friday sale of only $1,299.99.
biggrin.gif
  They regularly go on eBay for around $1,000 and new.  

Nov 18, 2016 at 11:48 AM Post #39 of 50
  monsterzero,

I was looking at the Fostex TH-900 but at $1,000 it is a bit outside of what I am willing to spend right now wit the Holidays coming up.  Funny enough, just this morning I saw a site offering these at an 80% off early Black Friday sale of only $1,299.99.
biggrin.gif
  They regularly go on eBay for around $1,000 and new.  

The TH 900 is supposedly one of the God Tier headphones for bass...there are others in the Fostex family that you might wanna research....

TH X00 and its various wood versions,as well as the numerous 3rd party companies that have made headphones based around the driver of T50-RP,namely Mr. Speakers,as well as Smeggy Thunderpants

Other headphones with bass are V-Moda M100 and some of the releases from Ultrasone.....

DISCLAIMER: I havent heard any of the headphones I just mentioned,just trying to save you some time by tossing out a few names to research.

forgot the Denon AH series 2000,5000,7000 which i believe are all discontinued and can fetch a lot on the used market.

Nov 18, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #40 of 50
Nov 18, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #42 of 50

You want me to get you one, too?

Actually it's "one of a kind" so...

Wow, I wonder how they sound.

not one of a kind but quite rare...someone was selling one on here a few months back...he started out at 20k...dunno if its the same guy or not...

and yeah kindly get one for me too
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:22 PM Post #43 of 50
You could consider anniversary pads, they help the lows as theres a better seal with the foam pads. You could also consider swapping for the AKG 7xx. Adjusting the headband for a better seal wont cost you anything either.

Nov 18, 2016 at 4:49 PM Post #45 of 50

Back when i first got into the hobby that review list was my bible....but as the years have gone by and my understanding of the hobby has increased I havent looked at it in years....and kinda forgot about it til you posted.

In case the OP was on the fence about my recommendation of the HE-500,check out what is said about them from that very same review!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared#user_HE500

Users who are viewing this thread

Back