Help in choosing IEM for $300
Dec 17, 2014 at 2:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gortaur

New Head-Fier
After doing some analysis, and reading this excellent thread coupled with Amazon reviews I've come up with the following finalists: DUNU DN1000, Westone W20 and RHA MA750. I value bass (listen to modern rock music) and do not like treble (rather sensitive to high frequencies). I never had expensive headphones, so the current choice is quite hard for me to make. 

[H] DUNU seems to be the thing that I look for in the low and mid, also I like that it is hybrid - hopefully combining advantages of dynamic headphones and BA, but it is said to have a rather harsh treble which is important to me.

[BA] Westone W20 look very cool and have very high grades in reviews, however I wonder about their bass: on Amazon people say it's really good but apparently all the reviews there concern Westone W40 (they are in the same review group on Amazon). How is bass on W20? Otherwise, I like them a lot, so if they have some decent bass I'd go for them. W40 looks very good, but my budget is not allowing to buy them.

Other headphones in the BA group I've considered are VSonic GR01 and Fischer Audio DBA02 mkii: they are said to be bright and VSonic got a lot of complaints regarding breakages. 

[D] RHA seems to be winning in all categories, but given that my budget is $300 I'd think there are better options as MA750 is only $130. Despite good bass, they are not among the most clear ones, and said to be dull-sounding. I like in them that they are warm and smooth in high frequencies. 

Other headphones in the Dynamic group I've considered are VSonic GR07BE (complaints about quality, harsh treble, lacks bass of RHA), RBH EP2 (more aggressive highs, more clear but lacks bass of RHA) and Yamaha EPH100 (fit issues, quality issues).

----

My main question is about Westone W20: how is bass there compared to W40 and RHA MA750? Also, DUNU is really bright? I'd be happy to hear any other suggestions regarding my final choice, thanks!

Dec 18, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks, though from several reviews I've read it seems that they are still brightish. I've come accross UE 900 which seem to have the sound I aim for, but they are bombarded with build quality complaints - does anybody have any experience with that? Also, what about bass in Westone W20? I still wonder how is it compared to RHA.

Dec 20, 2014 at 7:02 AM Post #4 of 4
Just found out about ATH CKR10, seems to fit the description pretty well. I'm worried a bit about the fact that they are dynamic, not hybrid or BA, and the fact that they just appeared so there are not many reviews. Yet, could somebody please tell me how's bass in Westone W20, please?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back