HELP! I need to get an undewater P/S camera for anniversary gift.
Apr 25, 2015 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ZMan2k2

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm lost.  I've been looking at reviews, specs, and everything else, and can't decide on a camera for my wife for our anniversary.  

Our old camera, a Canon PowerShot D20 got water in it, and died.  She loved that thing, and said the pictures were great with it, both underwater and on land.  It was her go-to camera when she wanted to shoot pics.  Now, I've been researching cameras for a couple weeks now, and can't decide which camera to go with.

Canon PowerShot D30.  Same sensor as the D20, but she didn't mind the picture quality.  It's 12MP, sumbergable up to 100ft., has a sunlight adjustment for the viewfinder screen, and she's used to the menu structure.  But the reviews are what have me second guessing just pulling the trigger on this one.  A lot of reviews give this guy 4 or 5 stars, but others, almost the same amount, say it leaked in minimal water submersion.  Does anyone have one of these, and can give me their honest opinion on it.

Nikon Coolpix AW130.  16MP sensor, I think CMOS, 5x optical zoom, but some reviews have said this one doesn't have audio with video recording.  True?  There aren't as many reviews of this one, as it's been out for only a couple months, but it's the same story, some reviews positive, others extremely negative, talking about the screen dying or the camera leaking.  Again, does anyone have one, and can give me their opinion on it?

Or am I missing any other quality competitors?  I know the waterproof camera area is blowing up with many other cameras, but I'm wondering on quality or ability of some of the others like Ricoh, Olympus and the likes.  Canon and Nikon are both respected brands, so that's where most of my research has ended up.

I need opinions, or even first hand knowledge of these, as cameras are out of my league.  

Thanks in advance.

Apr 25, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #2 of 2
After posting on another favorite forum of mine, I stepped up and bought the Panasonic Lumix DMC-TX5.  Don't need half of what's in it, and crushproof has never been a concern, as I don't plan on driving over it, but for $300 CAD, a good deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back