[help] HE400SE Cable for ath-ad1000x detachable mod.
Jan 29, 2022 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

OrLoko

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I’ve been a lurking for while, but sometimes you can’t get the answer your are looking for without asking.

Recently, my ath-ad1000x started falling the left side, thought the cable was breaking from the solder, opened it up to check it, it wasn’t, the cable itself was “rotting” out, green oxidation all over. The rubber had already break up in the same place on both sides (about cheek level) about 2 years ago, that I had previously trimmed(rubber only) and applied electrical tape to close it down.

So now I have to replace the cable…a new one from Audio Technical is $65, shipped, so I decided to add female jack (detachable mod) and get a new cable elsewhere.

I ordered this nice looking cable (and cheap) on Amazon, it’s supposed to be a replacement for the Hifiman He400

71lMIvT5GGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

By default, the HE400 stock cable is setup this way:

So I can confirm that neither of the rings are in use (L or R) The connections to the output of the stock cable are:

Right Tip = Ring
Right Sleeve = Sleeve

Left Tip = Tip
Left Sleeve = Sleeve

So I opened the ATH, solder the new 3.5mm female jacks. (in same manner as the quote before) so Tip/Ground only being soldered in the both sides/drivers, being pin 1 and 2 respectively, in my case (3 pole 3.5mm female jack)

71xUdel8IAL.jpg

Sounds works on both sides, but oddly enough not perfect. When testing the playback individually on each side, it was possible to hear the playback on the opposite side, but quieter, It’s hard to explain because if you have both sides over ear, you can’t really notice, you need to the balance all the way to one side, and remove it from the ear, so you are listening only to the opposite side, it should be silent, but you can hear it all, “lower”. Same thing happen if balanced to the other side.

So now, what’s wrong ?

I’m not sure, but the only thing I was thinking…. The “original” cable was more rigid(more resistance?), the new one (between the driver and the female jack) is those ones that are really thin, like from the ath-ad500’s / 700’s / 900’s ? Those tinted ones.

So what you think? Defective cable from Amazon? Would this setup even work properly ?

Thanks in advance,
time to get some sleep

- OrLoko

Oct 11, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #3 of 3
Hello everyone,

I’ve been a lurking for while, but sometimes you can’t get the answer your are looking for without asking.

Recently, my ath-ad1000x started falling the left side, thought the cable was breaking from the solder, opened it up to check it, it wasn’t, the cable itself was “rotting” out, green oxidation all over. The rubber had already break up in the same place on both sides (about cheek level) about 2 years ago, that I had previously trimmed(rubber only) and applied electrical tape to close it down.

So now I have to replace the cable…a new one from Audio Technical is $65, shipped, so I decided to add female jack (detachable mod) and get a new cable elsewhere.

I ordered this nice looking cable (and cheap) on Amazon, it’s supposed to be a replacement for the Hifiman He400

71lMIvT5GGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

By default, the HE400 stock cable is setup this way:

So I opened the ATH, solder the new 3.5mm female jacks. (in same manner as the quote before) so Tip/Ground only being soldered in the both sides/drivers, being pin 1 and 2 respectively, in my case (3 pole 3.5mm female jack)

71xUdel8IAL.jpg

Sounds works on both sides, but oddly enough not perfect. When testing the playback individually on each side, it was possible to hear the playback on the opposite side, but quieter, It’s hard to explain because if you have both sides over ear, you can’t really notice, you need to the balance all the way to one side, and remove it from the ear, so you are listening only to the opposite side, it should be silent, but you can hear it all, “lower”. Same thing happen if balanced to the other side.

So now, what’s wrong ?

I’m not sure, but the only thing I was thinking…. The “original” cable was more rigid(more resistance?), the new one (between the driver and the female jack) is those ones that are really thin, like from the ath-ad500’s / 700’s / 900’s ? Those tinted ones.

So what you think? Defective cable from Amazon? Would this setup even work properly ?

Thanks in advance,
time to get some sleep

- OrLoko
Where do you live? Do you live in an Humid place?
How is the Chasis of your ad1000x? Does it have white points or marks due to moisture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back