Help! electric guitar newb needs help please
Oct 20, 2009 at 2:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Monkey_feces

New Head-Fier
I played with my roommates electric guitar for a day. The next day, the thing won't output any sound to the amp. We isolated the problem to the electric guitar because the same cable and amp receive stuff from a different guitar and the amp outputs sound.

How could I have broken the electric guitar, and what is the most likely problem?

I certainly did not drop, hit, or physically attack the guitar. I may have had bad technique and touched stuff I wasn't supposed to. For example, I rested my hand on top of one of the pickups. Will touching a pickup damage it? If I damaged a pickup, wouldn't the others still output stuff to the amp?

Btw, all I hear is hissing or feedback from the amp. If I pluck a string, I can hear a corresponding feedback sound.

I really hope it's likely a broken jack because i found a review on musicians friend saying that this model, the epiphone wilshire, has jacks that are prone to failure.

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #2 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Monkey_feces /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, all I hear is hissing or feedback from the amp. If I pluck a string, I can hear a corresponding feedback sound.

What does this even mean?

I bet you're right about the jack. Either the contacts are broken on the inside or a joint came loose. Take apart the guitar and see if any wires are disconnected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back