[help!!]DIY newbee, got stuck!!!
Mar 8, 2003 at 3:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

CarbonKnock

New Head-Fier
I'm just about to build my first DIY headphone amp,

and i got all the stuff that i need according to Tangent's website.

But I just got stuck as soon as i began.

Man, can anyone explain me what do jump wires exactly do?

And what kind of wire should i use for them if i do not have

any leftover legs from other components?

And if i see the tutorial, Tangent said this:

"The jumpers are just bare bits of wire I had laying about"

Does that mean that I can just lay the wires on the protoboard?

Or do i need to something on the back of the board?

I'll appreciate your helps.

Mar 8, 2003 at 3:05 AM Post #2 of 10
sorry i can't help but i am wondering also, i am at the same point

Mar 8, 2003 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 10
1. Jumpers lead the signal to another part, essentially a wire connecting two points, but on the board.
2. Well for the jumpers, you chould just cut part of the legs on your components, but make sure you have enough left to solder them in. I mean your resistors are gold mines.
3. Wires would probably work.

Mar 8, 2003 at 3:30 AM Post #4 of 10
so you just solder them to the copper side and loop them through, that is what i thought.

Mar 8, 2003 at 3:36 AM Post #6 of 10
Jumper wires are used to electrically connect one part of the board with another. Are you building a CMOY or META42? If you are building a CMOY, are you using the Radio Shack board that Tangent recommends? This Radio Shack boad has the copper in the back. You would put an end of the wire in each hole to be jumpered and solder in place.

Mar 8, 2003 at 3:40 AM Post #7 of 10
i am using the radio shack board to build a cmoy. thanks for the help.

if you look at Tangents guide, on the pictures of the layout steps, there are two wires that look like jumpers on the sides of the board, but when you look at his picture of the board, they are not there. what are they.??

Mar 8, 2003 at 2:24 PM Post #8 of 10
thx guys
I think i know what to do now.
biggrin.gif

I'm also using the RS protoboard(I'm getting it today!)

So I'll just cut off some part of the legs and make them

go through the wholes on the board and solder them

onto the back of the board.(right?)

Wish me a luck!

Oh and good luck to you brschmid, I guess we're in a same ship
wink.gif

Mar 8, 2003 at 6:34 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

So I'll just cut off some part of the legs and make them

go through the wholes on the board and solder them

onto the back of the board.(right?)

correct that is what i did, i made it as far as the power supply last night, but i didn't have a 9V to test it, i forgot to buy one
redface.gif

Mar 9, 2003 at 12:12 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

just solder them on to the copper.

I wouldn't. If you solder them on the copper side, you can't trace the circuit from the top side, which is the typical way you debug a single-sided board like perfboard. That's where the components are, after all, so the jumpers should be there, too. Also, if you run them on the top side, you can skip over pads if you have to, whereas soldering the jumper directly to the bottom side only works well between neighboring pads.

Quote:

if you look at Tangents guide, on the pictures of the layout steps, there are two wires that look like jumpers on the sides of the board, but when you look at his picture of the board, they are not there. what are they.??

Look at CMoy's schematic, and you'll find out what they are. You could be talking about the power supply wires from the battery, or the wires to the input or output jacks...who knows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back