HELP: DIY High-Efficiency Speakers!
Dec 2, 2002 at 12:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Gariver

1000+ Head-Fier
I want to build a pair of very high efficiency, 2-way bookshelf speakers for a 2A3 amp (3w/ch). I am setting the minimum sensitivity at around 94 to 95dB. Actually, I want something a little bit larger than the new and smallish Coincident Triumphs (94dB). The main concern, of course, is the woofer's sensitivity. So I will appreciate any suggestions with regards to needed components (woofers and tweaters). TIA!

Dec 2, 2002 at 9:51 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks for trying to help, gdahl! I appreciate your effort.

The PI Professional Speakers are very nice: The Three PI is based on the JBL 2206 and JBL 2426 and the Four PI is based on the JBL 2226 and JBL 2426. The Three PI is about 20" x 14" by 10". The Four PI is bigger at 26" x 18" x 12". These are good sizes--not too big and not too small.

Dec 6, 2002 at 8:32 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Gariver
Wow! Those PI speakers are extremely efficient! Thanks, Rick!

Make sure you find out the sensitivity of BOTH the tweeter and sub before deciding on these speakers!!!! IF the tweeter is super effieicnt and the sub needs a lot of power, you'll have a skreechy set of speakers on your hands!!! Bass generall takes much more power to drive, so a 2-3 watt system will only add some 3-4db of sound from it's rated sensitivity. When it comes to SET amps and low power amps you need to look for something that is as efficient as possible since you don't have the headroom to turn it up more and more to push more power!!!!!

Dec 6, 2002 at 2:10 PM Post #8 of 8
I found a Brazilian made Selenium 12" Coaxial Woofer that has a HF Horn and the proper crossover all in one unit. The design follows the guidelines established by the famous Altec 604 Duplex Coaxial, a favorite of SET amp users. It's efficiency is high at 96dB, and it sells for $138.50. So a pair goes for: $277.00.

This coaxial is a good choice because the woofer and the horn tweeter are matched at the factory with the proper crossover. This all in one unit removes all sorts of complications. All you need is the right volume for the box. Nice!

Check it out at Parts Express...
http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=264-390

Set amps need...
--300B = 90dB speakers.
--2A3 = 94dB speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back