[HELP] Damaged Klipsch Mode M40 Cups
Jan 1, 2014 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kamaleloco

New Head-Fier
Hey guys not too long ago got these pair of headphones as a gift from my dad. I rarely use em, usually only when I fly or am with my laptop at home. Most of the time I'm on the move so I use my Bose IE2's for mobility purposes.

Now here is the issue, one day I came home and noticed a small tear on the inner side of my M40's right cup. I was devastated cause I have no idea how that could happen its always kept nicely in its case and baggy. So decided to put them away as I didn't want to aggravate the tear further by using em, after a few weeks took em out to take a photo cause after googling everywhere I could not find anywhere selling spare cups for these headphones. To my horror the tear grew in size. I'm guessing due to the tension in the sewing, so anyway I'm in the midst of emailing promedia, problem is I'm in Singapore and these were bought off ebay i'm not sure if they could offer me a pair of replacement cups. Would anyone by any chance know of anywhere I can get these cups for a decent price? Also are the cups even removeable? Not sure on this, if they aren't then I'm totally screwed. Such a good pair of headphones gone down the drain =(

Initial tear
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/138/f2dx.jpg/

Tear after a few weeks in storage
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/841/1snt.jpg/

Jan 25, 2014 at 3:53 PM Post #2 of 13
I have these cans as well, I'd be devastated if that happened to me :c the cups are removable but I've done several searches to this end and it doesn't look like any are available to the general public. I've heard of people getting replacement cords for the M40 when they're within warranty, I can't see the cups being a different case but I could be wrong. Klipsch themselves might be able to replace them for a price if your warranty has expired. 
Wish I could be of more help, my friend, and best of luck.

Mar 9, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #6 of 13
Sorry for digging up this old thread but I have the same issue where the fabric is tearing off the earcup of my klipsch mode m40s.  It started as a small tear but has grown over the past week to having almost half way around the earcup torn.  I bought these headphones in canada and I am in the USA now.  I bought these last july so if they have a year warranty I should still be covered.  Has anyone successfully gotten klipsch to send a replacement earcup.  It would not be very easy to send these back to my dad in canada and just hope he still has the receipt.  

Aug 4, 2015 at 10:27 AM Post #7 of 13
Have the same problem.  Klipsch says that there are no replacement ear cups available for the M40's.  Unbelievable!
Said to try the aftermarket.  Unfortunately there is no aftermarket.  I love the headphones but doubt that I would purchase another Klipsch product if they don't support what they sell.

Has

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #8 of 13
Yeah its sad but I gave up on the m40s and I have upgraded to the Audio Technica ATH-M50X.  They sound much better and are much more comfortable.  They also have replacement parts galore

Aug 5, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #10 of 13
When I was searching for replacement headphones I came across the klipsch status which I assume should be avoided too as they are the same design minus the noise cancellation.  I guess in the end I am happy this happened so I had an excuse to give the ATH-M50 a try.

My best advice to anyone who sees a small tear forming.  I mean if it even looks like the seam is thinking about splitting just put a dab of superglue on it which will hold it together for a little longer.  The second earcup started to go just days after my first one got its big tear and I superglued it

Dec 3, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #11 of 13
The earcups look not much different from Image One.  If Image One allows replacement earcups, so should M40.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzGzkplpIqk

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Replacement-Ear-Cups-For-Image-One-Version-1-/271896024280

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:48 AM Post #12 of 13
Well, lets revive this thread yet again.  I have these headphones also and just got off the phone with Klipsch and no, they don't sell replacement pads.  I searched hi and low and can't find any after market sources either.  For what these cans cost, I am very disappointed at how quickly these ear pads started to disintegrate and shame on Klipsch for not stocking replacement parts!   Oh, and the noise canceling feature stopped working about a week after the warranty ran out.  I'm not impressed with Klipsch.  I have since bought a pair of Audio-Technica M50x cans which sound better than the Klipsch and are much more comfortable.  But I'd still like to get the ear piece on my Klipsch fixed if that is ever possible.  If anyone has since found a source for these pads, please let us all know.

Basil

Jun 7, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #13 of 13
My Klipsch M40's were the first and, on the basis of their quality, the only pair of 'high-end' headphones I'm likely to own, however they were a gift so I didn't want to throw them out because the ear cups had split (after the cable had failed). Your only option is to repair the cups as Klipsch are not particularly interested in helping.

It's a fairly simple process, the cups are easily removed from their bases, to do this just push the outside edge of the cup cushion back and you will see the clips that retain it, pick a clip on the long side of the cup and slide something like a jewellers screwdriver down beside the clip and pop the cup out (its designed to come out easily, if you want- - Google M40 Mode instructions as there is a pic in there).

As per most comments my cushions had split along a seam - the repair option is to stitich them back together, took me about 30 mins and I'm no seamtress. The fabric part of the cup has a reinforced layer on the inside which you can stitch through, the rubberised part is backed with a woven fabric - none of my stitches pulled through the materials - but pick as fine a needle as you can thread.
I pulled the edges together using some positioning stitches about 0.5cm apart, pulling them in like this makes them much easier to finish with a finer stitich and and allows you to tuck the foam away properly, then finish off with finer stitches. Its fiddly, but will work. If you are feeling confident after that repeat with the other one. A stitch in time ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back