Help/Concerns about good cans
Sep 21, 2014 at 3:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Aeternalis

New Head-Fier
Hello, 

I will be getting my first pair of nice headphones this christmas (currently using Sony MDRZX300's and they're pretty bleh)

I am currently torn between two completely different pairs. Audio Technica ATH-m50x and Sol Republic Tracks air. 

The ATh-m50x has good reviews all over the place and are attractive to me as monitors because I mix music for my band and other bands, and they have fairly accurate response which I like to begin with. The tracks air are wireless and I like the bass amount after trying them at a friend's house for a bit, and I love the fact that they are wireless because I'm a high school student and move around a lot, and sometimes I get my wire caught in something.  

I already know a lot about the tracks air, so no questions there.

I'm most likely going to get the m50x's due to the over ear design and sound. I want the fact that I can use them in school/bus/etc. and use them when making music with accurate response. But, I'm concerned about a couple things before getting them.

1. The Impedance seems a bit high, and I use an iPod nano 7th gen which seems to not put out much power. I am fine with getting the regular sound out of them without the amp, but I'm just wondering if it doesn't make any sound at all or sounds tinny and horrible like other high quality cans I've tried. From the reviews, it seems that they don't need an amp at all. 

2. Noise Isolation. I ride the bus and it's full of screaming 6th graders and loud engine noise. I usually listen to my music at 60% in loud environments and I would like to know how well they really block out noise. I also want to know if they leak really badly (videos don't seem to leak much, but I doubt it's an accurate representation) during a quiet class.

I listen to rock and metal mainly, and I've heard they sound good for anything really, so I don't have any doubt that they will sound fine.

I may add another question later on the thread, but I just want to make a right choice for my first pair as my family is going through a tight money situation. 

Thanks.

Sep 24, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 6
  If you're serious about mixing music, you need neutral (which you may find to be "boring" studio cans.  Brands like Sony and KRK come to mind and not the cans you mentioned.

I don't need something so accurate that there is literally nothing setting it apart. Also, I am attracted to the m50's due to it being flexible about what you can do with them. 

I mix music, but it's not going to be studio-produced sound anyway due to the nature of the files recorded. 

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #5 of 6
Is getting a full size headphone for mixing and an iem for portable use an option?
You could get something like the nvx xpt100/brainwavz hm5/lindy hf100/ jaycar pro monitor(same sound) for mixing and the ttpod t1e (can be found on penon audio) as a portable iem.

Sep 25, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 6
Is getting a full size headphone for mixing and an iem for portable use an option?
You could get something like the nvx xpt100/brainwavz hm5/lindy hf100/ jaycar pro monitor(same sound) for mixing and the ttpod t1e (can be found on penon audio) as a portable iem.

I really dislike IEMS, and I am going to get one pair due to a budget.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back