help compiling a short list
Mar 8, 2022 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

chrisjsmith11

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,
Long-time audiophile here, who occasionally reads a headphone review, but it's my weakest spot.
Ask me anything you like about valve amps etc - more my thing.

Anyway, decided ''time for some better cans''.

Weirdly, I have lots of decent headphone amplifiers.

Right now, I'm sitting next to 4 options (!).. 2 okay ones, 2 good ones..
ok ones:
Audient ID series audio interface (studio quality, not bad) rarely use it.
HK430 70's receiver. Has that big 70s sound, ''lovely vintage sound'' occasionally use it.
good ones:
Original Linsley Hood class A (2 box headphone amp) dedicated headphone amp. Use it all the time, sounds great, very convenient.
Laconic Night blues 3-a (not the mini, the daddy 3-a version)
http://laconiclab.ru/laconic_night_blues.html
Haven't used it yet, it was a gift from a very kind friend. I know it is the best one.

Currently using AKG 702.
Bought long before any of the above.
Also got some V-moda japanese driver thing. Great build quality. Its a holiday pair of phones. Too bassy for audiophile use IMO.

What have I heard that I liked before, or not liked?
Senn 650s. Heard through an amazing amp and they were transformed. Thought they were so-so when averagely driven.
That's it really. Not heard that much, it's hard to hear loads of headphones in a busy life.

Budget:
Sub 300 - happy place
300-500 - if I have to.

Looking for used.

" If you had my money, and my amps, what would you buy on Ebay?"
" What would be your second choice?"

Hoping to find the top 3 or so recommendations and simply buy something.

Over to the guys here with more experience than me in headphones..

Mar 8, 2022 at 8:52 AM Post #2 of 8
Hey, not sure what kind of music you listen to but I'll start your list--sub $300 would be the Hifiman Sundara. This is generally available $250 used or $300 open box direct from Hifiman. $500 would be the Hifiman XS new from their site--these are tough to find used, but you can certainly try.

Other options, sub $300-500 would be the Meze Neo/Classic/Noir or DT series from Beyer. I have the DT1990 which is very detailed but can get a little bitey. The DT1770 is also well liked, as are the lower models. Used you can also find the LCD-2C (little heavy).

Those are the ones I'm most familiar with. And don't be afraid of the classifieds section here or on Reddit--I know you mentioned eBay, but it's the same deal except you don't have to bid or pay tax. You just work out something with the seller and pay via PayPal.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #3 of 8
I agree with @msing539

The Sundara are the best overall headphone for sound quality under $500 and you can easily find one on the used market for $300 or under.
Senn 650 with even a cheaper tube option are unbelievable and probably the best dynamic driver under $500.

Mar 9, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #4 of 8
My favorites in the happy place range would be Beyerdynamic dt880 black edition with the factory silver pads in it, Hifiman Sundara open box Hifiman has on there factory renewed page. The Hifiman HE5xx is great but only with the blu tack mod if your willing to do it. I have a stock pair now and they sound too airy without it.

Mar 11, 2022 at 2:15 PM Post #6 of 8
I'll throw the Audio Technica ATH-R70x into the mix. Ridiculously light and comfortable with sound that exceeds its price tag by a fairly wide margin.

The Drop/Sennheiser HD6XX would also be an option. I haven't heard the 6XX but it's said to essentially sound the same as the HD650. I've always had a soft spot for the HD650 and 600's but the clamp is way too tight for me. The R70x is of a similar vein, neutral with a hint of warmth and smoothness but the R70x is a little more even in the treble region and greater bass extension. The R70x doesn't quite have the magic in the mids that the HD650's can have though.

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 8
"Also got some V-moda japanese driver thing. Great build quality. Its a holiday pair of phones. Too bassy for audiophile use IMO"
What model V-Moda?
I've been using Crossfade wireless 2 and M100 with the EQ from my android phone and am amazed at the performance they give. They honestly sound great with all genres.
IMO The V-Moda's when EQ'd correctly outperform all of the $200 headphones on the market. They're very easy to drive, great punchy bass, fast and very detailed. Equalizers can do wonders.
I much prefer my EQUALIZED V-modas over these Headphones that I own.

Sennheiser HD58X
Sennheiser HD-598
Hifiman HE-400I
Philips X2hr
AKG k240

Users who are viewing this thread

Back