[HELP] - Cmoy parts advice (experiecnced ppl reply)
May 16, 2003 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sonichead

100+ Head-Fier
Well, after seeing Tangent's great article, I've decided to make a Cmoy, but I can't decide which parts to use. I think I will buy everything I can from digi-key, and some at RS, but I need help choosing which ones.

If you've had success with a particular part, or have advice for a first-timer, please reply.

May 17, 2003 at 12:10 AM Post #2 of 6
i might be wrong, but i'm pretty sure that, unless you want to buy resistors in bulk, you can't get metal film resistors at either place. I recomend getting polyester film type capacitors, thats what i got, and i'm verry happy with the sound. a cmoy isn't going to vary too much with the quality of parts, it isn't as high quality of a design as a META, however i wouldn't buy crappy ones either.

that should get you started

May 17, 2003 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 6
You really can't go wrong with any of Tangent's recommended part numbers. Since you have to get the op-amps at Digikey, you can buy everything but the perf board there and it will cover the $25 minimum order.

May 17, 2003 at 5:04 PM Post #5 of 6
...and if you order smartly...you can get enough parts to make two amps...that's what I did...I figure it was advantageous to order 10 of each type of cap, 10 of each resistor, 2 opamps, 2 sockets, two pots, 4 jacks, 2 pots (and a partridge in a pear tree)

that way you can:
1) make two amps if you dont like how you've done your first one you can use your first one as a learning experience and then put together a nicer looking, cleaner and better performing one...plus you can always sell the other one and you can pretty much recoup half or more of your cost...

2) have spares if you screw up a placement, put the wrong reisistor on etc etc

3) and then if you want you can use some of those for your next project

that should only run you...about 60-70 bucks US for enough parts for 2 amps...(my order was in canadian so I dont know the exact price in US)

since the CMOY is relatively simple, I would expect most of them to sound the same even those using slightly higher end parts. I expect changing the opamp, and how clean you wire your board will have more effect on sound than better parts

a good suggestion though is to check your resistors for both channels with your multimeter and try to keep them the same so that both left and right channels have the same resistance values (this is due to the tolerance on the resistance values)...
good luck

May 17, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 6
One more thing, I need a blue LED that won't drain much power! Anyone found a good one?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back