Help Choosing/Recommending Good Bass Headphones
Dec 8, 2014 at 4:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

OJAdisa

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow audiophiles and enthusiasts. I am no audiophile myself but desire a good listening experience for my music, gaming and movies. I have currently ordered the Sennheiser 598 as my first legit headphone and I am about to buy the Momentums a week from now. But now what I am looking for are some good bass headphones. Although a good quantity of bass is preferred, QUALITY MATTERS MORE for me. I do not want bass headphones that distort my listening experience. These are some headphone that spark my interest, feel free to recommend others. By the way budget is like $250 hopefully this is ok to work around with. Thank you in advance for your time and help :).

*V Moda Crossfade M-100
*Sennheiser Urbanite (People say the XL is not much of a difference especially at the price difference is it true?)
*Sony MDR1R
*Denon AH-D600
*Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
*Audio Technica ATH M50X

And on a side note from a lot of audiophiles and others I've heard Beats are crap. I only brought this up because they are considered bass headphones. Comments in this regard? I simply ignored them because I felt people bought it for the brand and design over the sound quality.

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi there,

Well you've made some good choices. The HD598 will be a great choice for many genres - just not deep bass.,

I would strike the MDR-1r off your list. It's a fine headphone and competitive to the momentum. It doesn't have the deepest bass.

I have the Denon AH-D600s and love them. Such a comfy headphone, nice sub bass, not perfectly controlled but extends low.

I also very much like the bass on my Sennheiser Amperiors when I owned them. That phone had excellent detail high and low, and also very portable. If you can hold off on. Your momentum, they may make better choice. Well, hard to say. Momentum is a fine headphone, but in my limited listening, I felt the d600 bested it in soundstage, bass and clarity.

You may want to check out the JVC SZ2000, apparently a bass monster.

For more of a studio sound, with great articulation, neutral presentation, I highly recommend the Focal Spirit Professionals, which I've had the brief opportunity to listen to, but having owned many closed sets of headphones, I immediately recognized their quality. Focal makes some of the best studio monitors out there, and they don't mess around. No consumer grade stuff. Also check out the Sony MDR-7520

Some headphones respond really well to EQ, and that can go a long way to getting the signature you like.

My recommendation is the D600. They have their detractors, they aren't the most neutral headphone. Check out some of the Amazon.com reviews. These are basically high-end Beats.

And, while personally Id rather support other manufacturers than Apple Beats, all indications are showing their headphones are improving. Which is good for the masses, and the headphone biz in general.

Also look into Hifiman HE-400, HE-400i, HE-6, HE-500, HE-560. Look into Audeze LCD-2.

It's not just closed cans that can deliver bass. In ear monitors can be exceptional. Shure SE846, or less expensive something like an Sony MDR-7550 (nicely controlled bass and well extended, check the frequency plots.) my experience is more limited here though.

What kind of music are you lookng to listen to on your bass headphones?

Dec 10, 2014 at 12:37 AM Post #3 of 6
Oh, i glossed over that $250 is your budget. You should be able to score a Denon AH-D600 for that price if you hunt around. The JVC might be stretch as it's an import but worth looking into.

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:39 AM Post #4 of 6
Hi there,

Well you've made some good choices. The HD598 will be a great choice for many genres - just not deep bass.,

I would strike the MDR-1r off your list. It's a fine headphone and competitive to the momentum. It doesn't have the deepest bass.

I have the Denon AH-D600s and love them. Such a comfy headphone, nice sub bass, not perfectly controlled but extends low.

I also very much like the bass on my Sennheiser Amperiors when I owned them. That phone had excellent detail high and low, and also very portable. If you can hold off on. Your momentum, they may make better choice. Well, hard to say. Momentum is a fine headphone, but in my limited listening, I felt the d600 bested it in soundstage, bass and clarity.

You may want to check out the JVC SZ2000, apparently a bass monster.

For more of a studio sound, with great articulation, neutral presentation, I highly recommend the Focal Spirit Professionals, which I've had the brief opportunity to listen to, but having owned many closed sets of headphones, I immediately recognized their quality. Focal makes some of the best studio monitors out there, and they don't mess around. No consumer grade stuff. Also check out the Sony MDR-7520

Some headphones respond really well to EQ, and that can go a long way to getting the signature you like.

My recommendation is the D600. They have their detractors, they aren't the most neutral headphone. Check out some of the Amazon.com reviews. These are basically high-end Beats.

And, while personally Id rather support other manufacturers than Apple Beats, all indications are showing their headphones are improving. Which is good for the masses, and the headphone biz in general.

Also look into Hifiman HE-400, HE-400i, HE-6, HE-500, HE-560. Look into Audeze LCD-2.

It's not just closed cans that can deliver bass. In ear monitors can be exceptional. Shure SE846, or less expensive something like an Sony MDR-7550 (nicely controlled bass and well extended, check the frequency plots.) my experience is more limited here though.

What kind of music are you lookng to listen to on your bass headphones?

I am buying the bass headphones to listen to R&B, Hip hop, Electronic, Dub Step, some Rap, Pop and Rock. Basically Urban style music. BTW any experience with any version of the Urbanites??

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 6
I am buying the bass headphones to listen to R&B, Hip hop, Electronic, Dub Step, some Rap, Pop and Rock. Basically Urban style music. BTW any experience with any version of the Urbanites??

Oh, try out a newcomer to the market. Sony XB950BT it is made with those music styles in mind.

The BT version is on sale for around $150 - has Bluetooth wireless w/ extra bass mode and you can also run it wired without the extra bass boost but still plenty. It's a nice round phat bass that is better for a 808 kick rather than the 909 type kicks of house/techno but it does those fine still

Insanely comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back