Help Choosing New Gaming Headphones
Dec 12, 2014 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

AdmiralTeddy

New Head-Fier
Hello,

this is my first post here as I heard this community is the best for helping when it comes to recommendations regarding headphones :)

I game a lot and I also watch a lot of movies and shows and listen to music a lot so I want a very good pair of headphones/headsets (mainly for gaming though).
I don't really move around that much so portability isn't an issue and I also would like the said pair to be open back! (but not necessarily a must).
I also will wear them for 8+ hours a day so comfort is also a huge plus.

So far i've narrowed my choices to these HD 598, G4ME Zero, ATH-ADG1 and Roccat Kave XTD 5.1

bear in mind i'm not very keen on buying an amp or sound card as I own a rampage v extreme mother board and the onboard sound is ok.

Also if you answer the poll i'd be gratefull if you could write a few words on why that is your choice over the others.

P.S. I'd prefer if I don't get more headphones thrown in the ring as it would only complicate things, but if you think it is much much greater of a choice for it's price and purpose then do recommend :)

Thank you all in advance friends!

Dec 12, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #2 of 15
Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet!

bear in mind...

Admiral Teddy..."bear in mind"...HA!

Personally, I prefer the good headphones + separate mic approach. That gives you the option of changing out either whenever you want. Out of the bunch, I would go with the HD598. Keep in mind, though, many people here say the HD558 sounds very similar. Being from the same company, you might save a few bucks.

Also, be sure to read Mad Lust Envy's guide, if you haven't already.

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 15
Don't bother with ANYTHING branded as a 'gaming headset'. 
I recently picked up a used Razer Kraken for spare parts only (nice ear pads)... I havn't heard anything that bad since the early beats headphones came out.
My experience with pretty much all gaming headsets I've tried out are consistent (logitec, razer, roccat, creative, turtle beach etc). It's not as diverse as my headphone experience, but I've tried a fair few.

The best two I ever tried was a discontinued Turtle beach USB model.. but yeah, discontinued, and the Logitec ones with 7.1 surround processing... still WAY too bassy though.
Sorry, don't remember the model numbers... not worth remembering 
biggrin.gif

So that's why I ticked the Sennheiser HD598 box.

I would also recommend Beyerdynamic DT990 for consideration. They are my main gaming headphone.
I own the vintage 600 ohm model, but the new ones are just as, if not more comfortable.

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #4 of 15
DT880, basically 80% of a T1 for 1/3-1/4 of the price. absurd levels of comfort like all beyerdynamics. Very neutral so i find it works well with everything from gaming to movies to music.

Also if you are in a really tight spot they will double up as a hammer.. really good build quality.

From your selection i'd go for the HD598 though

GREQ is right though, its not really worth considering the vast majority of gaming headsets, also i think its hard to go wrong with Beyerdynamic for gaming.. if you want an attached mic and not a modmic they even do a MMX300 model
Which is a DT770 which has been modded into a gaming headset.

Goodluck in your choice!

Alex

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 15
Thank you for all your answers guys and thank you for the warm welcome :)

I still have a month before choosing, as you said i'd probably not go with the "gaming" range as I too agree they're pretty... rubbish for the price.

I'll do some research on the Beyerdynamics before making a choice but for the moment i think i'm set on sennheiser as i've owned a few pairs before :D

also thanks for suggesting Mad Lust Envy's guide i'll have a look asap!!

Best wishes for you my dear sirs c:

Dec 12, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #6 of 15
  Thank you for all your answers guys and thank you for the warm welcome :)
I still have a month before choosing, as you said i'd probably not go with the "gaming" range as I too agree they're pretty... rubbish for the price.
I'll do some research on the Beyerdynamics before making a choice but for the moment i think i'm set on sennheiser as i've owned a few pairs before :D
also thanks for suggesting Mad Lust Envy's guide i'll have a look asap!!
Best wishes for you my dear sirs c:

Sennheiser HD558
Sound Blaster Z

Dec 12, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 15
thanks for the suggestion Purple Angel,

I'll keep that one in mind too, but I'll preferably spend a little bit more than sound blaster z :)

Dec 12, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #8 of 15
No need to with the HD558's (which are my recommendation as well). The Z has a good DAC and plenty of power. If you want to spend more - put it into the headphones, not the source, especially if your onboard is okay.

Also you could look into the Phillips X1's, AKG K7XX Massdrop Edition, and Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - the latter two of which would probably be best with an amp (Schiit Magni 2) or dedicated soundcard. Might be out of your price range though.

The HD558's are the safest bet. The X1's are warmer and bassier which can be really engaging, the K7XX's are very neutral and revealing but won't ship for a while (also there's the K612 Pro and Q701 - all very similar), and the DT990's are V-shaped with enhanced bass and treble that should be engaging but aren't for everyone.

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #9 of 15
  thanks for the suggestion Purple Angel,

I'll keep that one in mind too, but I'll preferably spend a little bit more than Sound Blaster Z :)

Just checked you motherboard specs, so skip the SB-Z and just get the HD558s.
The HD558s should be a good choice for spending a lot of time gaming.

Maybe get the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X headphones?

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:16 PM Post #10 of 15
sorry for the late reply friends, had a power outage over here xD

For the moment i have my sights set on (in order of favor): HD598, DT990 and the X1's but i will be sure to check out the HD558 and AD900X making a final purchase.

I just need to set a week aside for testing each out in shops and choosing whichever sounds and feels better to me between these...(which is really hard to do since UK has barely any shops that sell hi-fi or let you try them..)

and yeah i checked my motherboard's specs and apparently it can drive a 600 ohm lol! but I still might consider an amp if i feel the quality isn't great.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Digital cookies all around :)

Dec 14, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #11 of 15
Where abouts in the UK are you?

Dec 14, 2014 at 5:09 PM Post #12 of 15
  Where abouts in the UK are you?

I live in Wolverhampton but making a trip to London isn't a problem at all.

Also, apparently it's really hard to find the X1s in UK for some reason (beside amazon which is selling for a really high amount)... I actually started to like them a lot.

Dec 15, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #13 of 15
If you go to London there are a lot of shops to go to, Denmark street to test the Beyers, and a number of shops on Tottenham Court Road to test Senns.

I think I've seen the X1's in John Lewis so that is a shout.

And if you really want to test a lot side by side. set up an appointment with hifiheadphones.co.uk, they are on the south coast.

If i had any of the headphones you are after i would offer to give you a listen as I'm currently not that far, I go to Uni in Northampton.

Good luck!

Dec 15, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #14 of 15
  If you go to London there are a lot of shops to go to, Denmark street to test the Beyers, and a number of shops on Tottenham Court Road to test Senns.

I think I've seen the X1's in John Lewis so that is a shout.

And if you really want to test a lot side by side. set up an appointment with hifiheadphones.co.uk, they are on the south coast.

If i had any of the headphones you are after i would offer to give you a listen as I'm currently not that far, I go to Uni in Northampton.

Good luck!

Omg dude you rock, thank you so much, i'll make sure to test em out now wooo! :D

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #15 of 15
If anyone cares, I eventually went with the Fidelio X2

I tried all of these: HD598, DT990/880, X1/X2, HD558 and AD900X

For my purposes the X2 was the best of the bunch, but the DTX880/990 would be the best buy of the bunch (if you already own a good amp).

HD598 was fantastic and the comfiest (that weight though <3) while X2s are much much heavier *but you wont feel the weight that much cause of the padding and the clamp.

Other than that I feel X2 and HD598 will tire your ears the least if you plan to play games and listen to music but DTX880/990 do better than them in music *just a little bit*.

AD900X didn't really seem my thing as I wasn't that big a fan of its looks.

if anyone wants more about the HD598 or X2/X1 let me know :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back