Help choosing in ear <500$
Sep 25, 2014 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Tail

100+ Head-Fier
Hello! I don't know how to explain exactly what sound I like but I'll try my best.

From "high end" in ears I owned old old Sonys flagship MDR-EX700lp and now Sennheiser IE80, also had for a week Vsonic GR07 (normal first edition):

- Too sibilant and harsh highs on EX700, other than that was decent;
- Too much mid bass on IE80 (bass seems to affect whole mid range in a very unpleasant way), other than that decent (possibly lacks     that sub bass feel like Sony has, just too strong punch at a bit higher bass freq);
- GR07 sounded ok, bit worse overall than IE80 I'd say but that mid bass was better if I remember well.

So I can say I like that low low low sub bass "feel", not so much that strong punch, like clear mids and highs. It's no problem for highs to be little laid back, better than to be sibilant but some sparkle is ok, just not too much like Sonys dynamic driver old iems (EX300, 500, 700, 1000). Mids are important but as long as they aren't affected by bass so much (like on IE80) It's fine. Soundstage doesn't have to be that big, the reason I love in ears is that they give me that strange private closed feeling when I'm listening so I'm in my own world while music is being played.
Also cables have to be over the ear and would be nice if they were replacable but over the ear is a must. Budget is ~500$ max but I'm not looking to necessarily spend all of that, if I can find something cheaper that will sound better than IE80 (mostly that mid bass) I'd gladly go for that. Mid size tips of all iems fit me perfectly and I never use case or clips so accesories are not important at all.

Any advice is welcome! Thanks!

Sep 25, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #2 of 4
If I ever get another in-ear headphone, this will be it; The Inear Stagediver SD-3.

Here's a review that explains the sound, I haven't owned it but I like what this describes them as.
http://www.headfonia.com/inear-stagediver-german-sd2-sd3/

Sep 25, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #4 of 4
Don't be afraid to pick up a pair of headphones through our Classifieds. People here generally baby their stuff. I have had 40+ transactions here and have never had any issues with anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back