[Help] AKG K550 waiting to repair
Sep 24, 2013 at 1:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Perpetually

New Head-Fier
Hi everybody,

I bought a pair of AKG K550 headphones one and a half years ago, and now the two channels are unbalanced (right channel volume is about 20% lower). They are still in the 2 years warranty but because my plug was rugged by my friend (so regret to lend him) 1 year ago, I can't ask the local distributor to replace a new pair for me.  I brought them to a local electronic repair store today and they said they will tell me what's the problem tomorrow. I'm 70% percent sure I may need to replace the plug or with the cable together, so I'm a little worried if I need to replace my cable as well, what kind of cable should I get so that there will be no sound quality reduction or even a sound quality upgrade? or I should just order an original cable from AKG? please help me decide, really need you guys help on this!

Thanks!

Buran

Sep 24, 2013 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 4
og
  I bought an AKG K550 headphones one and a half years ago, and now the two channels are unbalanced (right channel volume is about 20% lower). They are still in the 2 years warranty but because my plug was rugged by my friend (so ******* regret to lend him) 1 year ago, I can't ask the local distributor to replace a new pair for me.  I brought them to a local electronic repair store today and they will tell me what's the problem tomorrow. I'm 70% percent sure I may need to replace the plug or with the cable together, so I'm a little worried if I need to replace my cable as well, what kind of cable should I get so that there will be no sound quality reduction or even a sound quality upgrade?

Mogami quad microphone cable (shielded)
Canare quad microphone cable (shielded)
Each cable provide each channel with it's own ground wire
So you can soldered them to the 4 wires in the headphone
and whatever aftermarket plug you get 3.5mm (1/8") stereo plug or 1/4" (6.35mm) stereo plug, the two grounding wire will be soldered to the same ground connector on the plug.
These are the two brands (Mogani & Canare) of cable I know of that are used for recabling headphones.
Usually these cables will sell for around $1 per foot.
You can also get braided nylon sleeving for the cable.

There are website (forums) out there that show examples on how others have recabled their headphones.

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 4
Hi PurpleAngel,

I found HeadRoom online and asked them to recable my K550 with a 5 feet of Cardas if they detect the drivers are functioning well. I'm so relaxed that I found professionals to do the job for me and all I need to do is ship and wait. Thank you very much for your advice so I know where to start!

Sep 25, 2013 at 10:36 PM Post #4 of 4
It wouldn't hurt if you learned how to solder and fix it yourself, if you're into that type of thing.  Cheap soldering irons can be had for less than $10 and will do the job just fine.  It's pretty easy to learn and can be super handy.  

Also, you won't notice a difference between a $50 cable/plug and a decent quality cable and plug.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back