Hello, need clear, neutral, comfortable headphones, max 350-400$
Jul 3, 2014 at 9:59 PM Post #16 of 26
Oh, I'm floored alright, but in the wrong way. These things have some horrible... sibilance I think you people call it? It's literally making me kind of afraid to listen to my tracks at times. I don't like these Beyerdynamic T1's much right now. Everything else sounds pretty good... though not "drop everything and start running" amazing. But the sibilance... oh god the sibilance. Male vocals, female vocals, it doesn't even matter. It just makes me cringe trying to listen to these sometimes.

I looked through various threads, and this appears to be the newer revision of these headphones, too (which supposedly did better on the higher frequencies?). Some tracks don't have it as bad, but a majority of my tracks do (and yes they are all flac). It doesn't seem to matter whether I listen to them from my Creative Z or my O2 DAC+AMP. The latter sounds better but sibilance is just as bad with it.

Not sure what to do here. I could return them to Amazon as they are still in roughly the same condition... or I could sell them on Ebay since they're selling much higher than what I bought them for anyway (get maybe a 50-100$ profit). I wonder if this is a defective pair, but I have heard other people having the same issue. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to high frequencies. I could try modding them but I don't understand why I should mod headphones that originally sold for well over 1000$...

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #17 of 26
You just might be sensitive to the highs. When I had them, they weren't sibilant but were bright. You might like something smoother like hd600 or hd650s.

After fees, you won't profit nearly that much, maybe even lose some. better to just return them. Ebay fees are ridiculous. Amazon's marketplace is bad too. 15% on the first $100, 8% after.

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #18 of 26
Oh, I'm floored alright, but in the wrong way. These things have some horrible... sibilance I think you people call it? It's literally making me kind of afraid to listen to my tracks at times. I don't like these Beyerdynamic T1's much right now. Everything else sounds pretty good... though not "drop everything and start running" amazing. But the sibilance... oh god the sibilance. Male vocals, female vocals, it doesn't even matter. It just makes me cringe trying to listen to these sometimes.

Some of it could be the music you are listening to as well. High end headphones can be very revealing of the recording quality.

Jul 3, 2014 at 11:22 PM Post #19 of 26
Some of it could be the music you are listening to as well. High end headphones can be very revealing of the recording quality.

Could you name me some test tracks that are supposedly recorded well with regards to sibilance and such?

You just might be sensitive to the highs. When I had them, they weren't sibilant but were bright. You might like something smoother like hd600 or hd650s.

After fees, you won't profit nearly that much, maybe even lose some. better to just return them. Ebay fees are ridiculous. Amazon's marketplace is bad too. 15% on the first $100, 8% after.

I don't know, I may just be noticing it more.. these earphones just made it painful to my ears. Perhaps I should get some earwax cleaner and see if I have some issues with my canal. Sometimes I have these periods where I'm "overly sensitive" and can pick up sibilance where it normally would not bother me. This might be it, since I don't remember having quite this much of an issue with sibilance right when they arrived. It's just a week later when I got the amp it was horrible.

I might give these a little more time, and see if I have some built up wax or something that's causing this, but if they don't improve in a week or so I'm probably just gonna give em back.

I just know I've had a bit of tinnitus in one of my ears, so it's very possible it's related.

Jul 6, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #21 of 26

I think you might have missed this from the last post, but could you provide me of a track like that would separate the two out for me?

I might just keep these and try to EQ them down a bit in that range. Because everything else on them sounds really good and I think getting them for 600 bucks was a pretty good deal. Not sure. I listened to my friend's DT990's and it made me appreciate just how amazing these are by comparison. Then again I wish one of my friends had a pair of HD600's... ._.

Jul 6, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #22 of 26
I think you might have missed this from the last post, but could you provide me of a track like that would separate the two out for me?

Not off hand. I've worked on teaching myself to ignore siblance. Otherwise, it can drive you nuts.

Jul 7, 2014 at 2:01 AM Post #24 of 26
Well sorry for double posting and bumping this topic ad infinitum. I think I will keep my T1's. It's simply a waste to let them go when I got them for such a good price (it seems to only be rising, looks like I got them at a good time, being a like new pair for 600 bucks), and everything else on them sounds really nice (especially when compared to my friend's DT990's) except the sibilance (which was on the 990's as well, and looking at the FR graph it's not hard to see why)... which I initially didn't have a problem with when I first received them, leading me to think I'm just being hypersensitive right now (considering I hear it on my MS Aviano 2's as well, just less in my face). Worst case scenario I'll just EQ it out or try a mod, and then I'll have a very good sounding pair of earphones either way. The sibilance is likely part of the sound anyway, so I said I wanted detail, accuracy and neutrality... well here it is. Hopefully I can just get used to it, because everything else sounds marvelous. Absolute worst case scenario I think they'll easily go on Ebay for a pittance less than what I got them for.

Thanks for helping me out some with my purchasing decision.

Jul 13, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #26 of 26
Actually I dunno what it is, but the sibilance on these has seemingly died down by a lot. It's still harsh now in some songs (Chronic Future at the rap section is a good example), but it's actually bearable. And then I just have to turn it down a little bit or something. These things seem to sound better by the day, and that's not an illusion. Before I used to actually cringe at the sibilance. I guess I'm just getting used to them or something. Maybe they're burning in. Many people were kinda "What" at me buying a set of 600$ headphones, but I'm actually pretty happy with these for the money, especially now. I think they're exactly what I was looking for in terms of detail and everything. This O2 dac+ amp also works quite well with them. Everything is represented very accurately. I wonder how much money I would have to spend on speakers to get the kind of detail I get from these. I think I'll be happier with em by the day.

Oh, I should probably stop using this thing like a block and go to the Beyerdynamic T1 section topic... which is in the Summit-Fi from the looks of it. Dunno why, as these earphones are kinda cheap compared to a lot of the stuff listed there now. Especially the HD800's which are like twice the price (well nearly, these have risen some from when I bought them).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back