Hearing problem qualifies my amp purchase
Jan 13, 2009 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gnostic19

Head-Fier
I lost some hearing in my left ear at a Foetus concert about 15 years ago. My left ear has the high ends rolled off. Funny thing is it comes and goes. It comes back usually when i am exposed to loud, bright noises. Once exposed, the higher frequencies are muted in my left ear for a couple of days. Becaue of this i need an amp that doesn't accentuate the highs. I use Grado SR80 as hd phones. I have been looking at the Pico, Decware, Mustang, ALO DOuble Mini3. Budget is $150-$400.

Any advice appreciated.

Jan 13, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by gnostic19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I lost some hearing in my left ear at a Foetus concert about 15 years ago. My left ear has the high ends rolled off. Funny thing is it comes and goes. It comes back usually when i am exposed to loud, bright noises. Once exposed, the higher frequencies are muted in my left ear for a couple of days. Becaue of this i need an amp that doesn't accentuate the highs. I use Grado SR80 as hd phones. I have been looking at the Pico, Decware, Mustang, ALO DOuble Mini3. Budget is $150-$400.

Any advice appreciated.

ummm a good amp will only give what its fed. more likely you should purchase your Headphones with this in mind (no ety ER4p/s), rather than the amp. plus think about getting a dap wit a good eq and eq those frequencies out

by the way. foetus nice.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 13, 2009 at 9:15 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most quality amps are pretty flat in frequency response. Headphones make much more of a difference.

yeah, that's what i figured, but too late for that now. I have been now looking in to a possible tubed desktop amp(ef-1, new Trends) and get a cheaper portable. Tubes might be nicer to my ears than SS. Still taking recommendations of all types if anyone cares enough to give input.

Jan 13, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #5 of 6
I don't have a particular recommendation, but you might want something with bass boos. My wife is extremely hard of hearing in both ears and she listens with bass boost and with very bassy headphones. This is all straight out of her iPod. She's so hard of hearing though that fidelity is not a priority. Hearing it at all is her priority.

Jan 13, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't have a particular recommendation, but you might want something with bass boos. My wife is extremely hard of hearing in both ears and she listens with bass boost and with very bassy headphones. This is all straight out of her iPod. She's so hard of hearing though that fidelity is not a priority. Hearing it at all is her priority.

Thankfully i'm nowhere near that. Just the upper frequencies in the left ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back