Hearing Lose.
Jun 21, 2010 at 3:13 PM Post #16 of 20

Quote:
I am American. Born and raised here. Caucasian. Yes, I have had an English class all through school, but that doesn't change it from being on of the hardest languages in the world. Many things that we say today are actually improper for English, but because we commonly say them we think they are right. This may not be an example, but just pointing it out I guess.

I'm trying desperately not to go on a language rant. But first off, the "English is the hardest language to learn" bit that you frequently hear in school is absolutely false. Is it harder than, say, Spanish or Italian? Sure. Is it harder as a second language than Cantonese or Mandarin or Korean or Japanese or Arabic? No. How about Hungarian, Ukrainian, Russian, Finnish, or Estonian? Nope, English is still less complicated. And of course, "English is difficult to learn" only comes into effect if it's your second language and you're attempting to speak like a native. Learning to speak English fluently though not idiomatically actually makes it a pretty easy language. You don't even have grammatical gender. And as a first language, it's certainly not an excuse.

And as to hearing loss... Loss is a noun. Lose is a verb. Hearing describes what sort of loss it is. After you lose something, you have experienced loss.

Jun 22, 2010 at 7:02 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:
but that doesn't change it from being on of the hardest languages in the world. Many things that we say today are actually improper for English, but because we commonly say them we think they are right

No, "we" are just illiterate.

Quote:
After reading numerous posts about the fact that you suffer hearing lose with age (which is a fact of life),including some stating that if you can hear nothing over 14khz you may as well give up,I am posting this simple chart to show those with hearing lose that they have not lost anything to be worried about.

Assuming there's an absolute cut off, with perfect hearing at 13.9 KHz and nothing at 14.1 KHz, then that's great, forgetting about harmonics - but it doesn't work like that does it?

Jun 22, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #19 of 20
@op: you might want to edit the first post and correct the title to stop that childish behavior of others, if that is still possible with the new "forum" software.

A simple way to simulate hearing loss is using an EQ, just turn the treble knobs down.

Jun 23, 2010 at 12:12 PM Post #20 of 20
I've banned myself from further headphone use until my hearing regenerates from all this reviewing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back